Author Topic: @ Anyone who is a teacher in the US  (Read 1738 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
@ Anyone who is a teacher in the US
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »
What kind of qualifications/training do you need? And how much did it cost you to do such things?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: @ Anyone who is a teacher in the US
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
I went the standard four-year route at Michigan State University.  Bachelor of Science in Math Education, minor in Computer Science.  In Michigan, that certifies you to teach both Math and Computer Science, once you pass the standard teacher certification test.  The cost was whatever it cost to get a degree from MSU in the 80's.  Pretty sure it's higher now (duh).

My understanding is that it's possible to become a certified separately, but I didn't do that, so I have no idea how that works.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:15 AM »
I went through a credential program at a state university.  Took 1 year and cost about as much as a year of undergraduate study.  Each state is different regarding the credential they issue, so you'll want to look into the state you'll be in.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
It all depends on who/what you want to teach.

Highschool? College? Community College? Graduate School?  Which subject?

Like, if I wanted to teach in my field, I just need a Masters in Psychology to teach the college level, but I'd need more to teach highschool or graduate level.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
^What Adami said.  But I would add that the minimum requirements for certification are often not enough to make you a competitive candidate, depending on where and what you are wanting to teach.

-J

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
Yeah, in the U.S. at least, teaching primary or secondary (anything up through high school) takes not only certification, but a degree in education is pretty much required as well.  At the college level, there's people teaching with only a certificate, if that.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »
I'm not a teacher but wanted to chime in. Angood friend of mine is actually starting her first teaching gig next Monday. Shengot out of school on time with a final bill of about 115k. Her starting salary is 25.5k a year.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:05:02 AM by Chino »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »
I'm not a teacher but wanted to chime in. Angood friend of mine is actually starting her first teaching gig next Monday. Shengot out of school on time with a final bill of about 115k. Her starting salary is 15.5k a year.
Kind of sad that a guy who cooks bacon makes much more than one responsible for moulding the youth of our nation.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
I'm not a teacher but wanted to chime in. Angood friend of mine is actually starting her first teaching gig next Monday. Shengot out of school on time with a final bill of about 115k. Her starting salary is 15.5k a year.
Good God, where is she working? Most teachers make at least $30k for a full-time job in a public school.

@OP: Ultimately, all that's required is a teaching license. It varies state to state what is required to get one.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
Kind of sad that a guy who cooks bacon makes much more than one responsible for moulding the youth of our nation.

In all do respect, the demand for bacon is much higher than education, at least in the states.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
Good God, where is she working? Most teachers make at least $30k for a full-time job in a public school.

@OP: Ultimately, all that's required is a teaching license. It varies state to state what is required to get one.

Whoops, typo. I meant 25.5k

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »
25.5K isn't bad for starting salary in the U.S.  Every school system I worked in or interviewed with had a ladder which went up every year, usually several hundred, sometimes a grand or more per year of experience.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
25.5K isn't bad for starting salary in the U.S.  Every school system I worked in or interviewed with had a ladder which went up every year, usually several hundred, sometimes a grand or more per year of experience.
It's not great either though. But yes, teachers do tend to get good raises based on experience and make pretty decent money after a while, especially if they get a master's degree at some point. Plus you have to take into account that they get a couple months off a year from their full time job (though still probably take a class here and there to maintain their licensure).

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:58 AM »
Plus, at least in Cali, the benefits package kicks butt. Much better than mine, and Im a union employee.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
My wife is a high school art teacher in a public school.

She went to 4 years of undergrad college and passed her teaching certification. She also had teaching experience while growing up.
She has now completed her Master's in Art Education, which also cost a goodly amount of money and with the public system the way it is, barely got reimbursed for tuition (thankfully it is all tax-deductible). She makes a fairly nice salary and has a great benefits package, but the way the county treats it's 9-month employees, she only pulls a paycheck while school is in session. Other counties offer the option to defer, thereby allowing you to get paid for 12 months, albeit at a lower lump sum (due to there being more pay periods), but ours does not.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche