Author Topic: the band 3 (THREE) appreciation thread  (Read 10982 times)

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
the band 3 (THREE) appreciation thread
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
https://www.metalblade.com/3/

:o

THIS is the followup to The End is Begun. Holy shit I'm maybe more excited for this album than any other this fall.

:hat

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: 3 - "Numbers" (Single from The Ghost You Gave To Me)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »
Didnt like it at first, but from the break onward it was pretty good. I'll have to wait for some more tracks to be released though
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »
love the end is begun...this sounds like a positive follow up

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:55:36 AM »
Can't wait for this album.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
Ooooh this is cool.  I really like TEIB and Wake Pig, Revisions was okay.  Another album to be excited for.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
Love these guys! Can't wait for new stuff.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
Huge fan...can't wait
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
Good news!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
I'm in.  I loved The end is begun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
It's pretty cool, I'll check it out. Honestly though, seeing them live kind of ruined their studio stuff for me.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »
It's pretty cool, I'll check it out. Honestly though, seeing them live kind of ruined their studio stuff for me.

ya, i could see that. they fucking owned on prognation...i'm a pretty big fan of all four bands from that year's tour, and while i was least looking forward to 3's set, they somehow managed to steal the show.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »

ya, i could see that. they fucking owned on prognation...i'm a pretty big fan of all four bands from that year's tour, and while i was least looking forward to 3's set, they somehow managed to steal the show.

Ok, I'm taking this as an invitation for me to share my 3 story. I saw them for the first time opening for Porcupine Tree on their Fear of a Blank Planet tour. I hadn't really heard them before and to be honest, wasn't particularly interested in doing so. After seeing their set, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to enjoy PTs set. (It kicked fucking ass, by the way.) Within a year of said show, I had seen 3 live a total of 4 times.

While I loved Revisions, it was certainly not the follow-up to TEIB. (And 3 were the first to say that.)
But this is one of those cases of "I waited so long, I was about to lose interest". Mind you, I was looking forward to their new album. But after hearing their new single, its maybe tied with ADTOE as the album I'm most looking forward to this fall.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
^ ya, theyre a tough act to follow.

i had only picked up TEIB about a week before seeing them, figuring i oughtta check em out. i could tell right away that it was a good album, but i only had a few spins under my belt prior to the show. man, that live presentation blew me (and friends) away.

as much as i've become a fan, i still really only know TEIB and Wake Pig (also awesome). the way they've hyped the new album as their magnum opus, i'm quite looking forward to it [then again, crack the skye was kinda hyped by that band in the same way (and to a greater extent), but i was left rather underwhelmed].

i'll have to check out that first new song when i get home in an hour.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
3 were incredible on the ProgNation tour. I hadn't really listened to them before that show, and I was blown away. When I went to the second show, I was more excited about them than the other bands. Their studio work does kind of pale in comparison to their live show, unfortunately, but it's mostly just because they put on such a great performance.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
3 were incredible on the ProgNation tour. I hadn't really listened to them before that show, and I was blown away. When I went to the second show, I was more excited about them than the other bands.

same...except i knew DT would have a completely different set for the second night.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
I listened to a song from TEIB before I went to see PT on the FOABP tour.  I wasn't really impressed, but I made it in time to see their last three songs, and I was amazed at how much ass they kicked live.  Even SW said that they were intimidated following their set.  I found TEIB a month or two later and its just so so good.  Hopefully I can see them do a full set, or at least another whole opening set.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
Got sent 3 songs in a promotional packet today, and frankly I'm quite excited for this album right now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
In very early stages now, but it looks like I will be interviewing someone from the band (likely Joey Eppard), so if you guys have any questions now would be the time to throw them up.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 02:34:58 PM »
In very early stages now, but it looks like I will be interviewing someone from the band (likely Joey Eppard), so if you guys have any questions now would be the time to throw them up.

What would it set me back to have them play my back yard? 

Seriously  I love this band
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
Anyone pick up the new album this week? First impressions are good. Not sure if it will hold up to The End is Begun, but I'm digging it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
Anyone pick up the new album this week? First impressions are good. Not sure if it will hold up to The End is Begun, but I'm digging it.
I've listened to it once so far, and yes, first impressions are very good. I'm not going to claim it's better than The End is Begun yet, but it is a distinct possibility.

Offline johnnysuperfan

the band 3 (THREE) appreciation thread
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
At the top of my favorite bands of all time (Dream Theater, Pyramid Theorem the others).

I love every album, every track this band has put out on disc. If I had to pick a favorite CD by 3, it would be "Half Life". I love the diversity of this band. They cover most of the genres from alternative, metal, progressive, funk, R&B, folk, etc, etc and they still sound like 3.

I didn't know this band existed until I got to see them open at Progressive Nation '08.  Then I became obsessed, purchased all their CD's and that's all I listened too for months.

After viewing solo Joey Eppard on YouTube (the shows he does locally around Woodstock NY area), I decided to make the 6 hr. trip and go and see it for myself in person. There's nothing like it, amazing musicianship, incredible. I've been doing this every summer since 2008.

I've become great friends with these guys and can't wait to see them open for Coheed in a few weeks.  :tup

www.theband3.com

like them on facebook: www.facebook.com/theband3

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: the band 3 (THREE) appreciation thread
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
'Bout time someone made this thread. :D

They've got really cool stuff, End Is Begun is a near perfect album, but they don't really hit me the same way other bands do. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but they're still a band that I like a lot.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
'Bout time someone made this thread. :D

They've got really cool stuff, End Is Begun is a near perfect album, but they don't really hit me the same way other bands do. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but they're still a band that I like a lot.

:heart  :heart  :heart  :heart  u Bro  :biggrin:

check out my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/newThreefanatic , tons of 3 and Joey Eppard videos I filmed

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
awesome band!  I've seen them live twice (opening for Porcupine Tree on the Fear Of A Blank Planet tour and then at Prog Nation '08) and have Wake Pig, TEIB, Revisions, and TGYGTM.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
awesome band!  I've seen them live twice (opening for Porcupine Tree on the Fear Of A Blank Planet tour and then at Prog Nation '08) and have Wake Pig, TEIB, Revisions, and TGYGTM.

"Only Child" is such an epicccccccccc  :metal

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »
One of my favorite bands of all time. Joey and Co. are 4 of the coolest dudes on the planet, and there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be bigger then they are right now.

Also, Only Child is one of the best songs ever made. The song literally has everything you need to make the perfect song.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »
I became acquainted with these guys on the Prog Nation tour as well, when I saw them twice. They put on the best live show of all the bands on that tour, in my opinion. The studio recordings don't hit you quite the same way their live performances do, but they are definitely a band that I like a lot. Half Life, The End is Begun, and The Ghost You Gave to Me are great albums.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
went to prog nation for three of my all time favorite bands and another i'd never heard of til the tour was announced. bought the end is begun and dug it quite a bit (the first half in particular)...went to the show(s) and felt the band 3 (THREE) kinda stole the show; what a performance!  :omg:

groovin on the ghost you gave me a ton, but for some reason i never got too heavy into the last two tracks...it would be a near-perfect little album if i didnt feel there was a dip.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
I see what happened at the Prog Nation 2008 show I went to wasn't an isolated event.  :lol 3 came out to at best scattered applause and left to practically a standing ovation. Their CDs leave me a little cold, but they're AMAZING live.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
I have The Ghost You Gave Me. Great album.  :metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Joey Eppard new LIVE DVD!

This new live DVD was recorded and supported by a successful Kickstarter campaign from a couple of years ago. Well, for those like myself who were backers of the Kickstarter, the DVD arrived finally this past week. But Joey's also made it available to the public on his website

https://joeyeppard.com/

Live in Concert

Purchase Joey's Live DVD now! 29 songs! Almost 2.5 hours of music! Special Guests include Billy Riker, Chris Gartdrumm Gartmann and more!

For those who saw Three live opening for Porcupine Tree, on Progressive Nation in 2008, with The Dear Hunter or Coheed and Cambria, or just as a headlining act, the consensus is they stand out live, even more than their studio recordings. And Joey of course is a huge part of that being the lead singer/guitarist frontman and main songwriter. This DVD showcases that and his wonderful mostly acoustic solo record "Been to the Future" among those 29 tracks.

Very recommended!

Also as an aside for me personally, Joey is doing some live dates over the next few weeks, including a surprise birthday show this evening for his Grandpa in Rochester, Minnesota (where his Grandpa lives). I'm really stoked to get to see that tonight (and a fellow DTF member JRundquist will be filling in on drums in fact!).

Friday - March 8th - 9pm - $5
Joey Eppard acoustic w/ Billy Riker and Lenny Lee
@ The Rondout Music Lounge / 21 Broadway, Kingston, NY 12401
special guest Spider Barbour (my personal songwriting hero!)

Saturday - March 9th - 9:30pm
EGO (Joey Eppard + Chris Gartmann + Alana Orchid)
@ Harmony Woodstock / 52 Mill Hill Rd, Woodstock, NY 12498

Sunday - March 10th - Doors 6pm - Show 7:30pm
We Shall Not Be Moved: An Evening Of Spirituals To Benefit FrackAction (anti-fracking non profit group)
Amy Helm, Ben Perowsky, Bethany Yarrow, Dave Dreiwitz, Don Byron, Gail Ann Dorsey, Jack DeJohnette, Jeremy Bernstein, Jerry Marotta, Joey Eppard, John Medeski, Elizabeth Mitchell & Dan Littleton, Larry Grenadier, Marco Benevento, Natalie Merchant, Rachel Yamagata, Rufus Cappadocia, Simi Stone, Tracy Bonham And More T.B.A!

Saturday - March 23rd - 9pm
EGO (Joey Eppard + Chris Gartmann + Alana Orchid)
@ Dave's Coffee and Wine house
partition street, Saugerties, NY

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
So yeah, i just got back from jamming with Joey Eppard!

One of the best nights I will ever have!!!

I was keeping it all a secret, but I was Jammed tonight with Joey and Jimmy Eppard tonight in Rochester, MN at Kathy's Pub for Joey's Grandfather's Surprise 80 Birthday Party, which is why I couldn't announce it publicly. I filled in for Josh Eppard, who played a Sold out show in Texas tonight. I was honored to be a part of it.

We played 2 sets, one of Classic Blues covers selected by Jimmy Eppard., then Joey did a few songs by himself, then we came back in to do some 3 songs and finally ending with Prince's Purple Rain.

I got both sets audio recorded, but only the blues one video recorded. I will just stick to the audio version this time around. It was absolutely one of the best nights of my life. I can't thank the Eppard family enough for letting me be part of this special night.

As long as it sounds good, Audio to come later!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
That is really, really cool.