Author Topic: Mike Mangini interview by theaureview.com 2011-08-17  (Read 5357 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Mike Mangini interview by theaureview.com 2011-08-17
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:30:27 AM »
Bandmember interviewed: Mike Mangini
Interviewer: Dave Roberts
Date: August 17th
Source: theaureview.com
Posted by Rena Petrucci on FB  
https://www.theaureview.com/interviews/Mike-Mangini-of-Dream-Theater-Boston

As if it has not been said enough, Magini is a wonderful person.

If you’ve been living under a sound-proof rock that has no internet access, no contact to the outside world and most of all no traces of human existence, you wouldn’t know that Dream Theater have recently finished a new album. And that they have been on tour with their latest member – MIKE MANGINI.

Dave Roberts picked up the phone and had a yack with the new member – talking about life inside and out, of Dream Theater.

DR: G’day Mike, how you doin’?

MM: Dave, how are you? Very Well.

DR: Quickly, massive congratulations from the Dream Theater community.

MM: Thank you so much!

DR: First up, I want to talk a little bit about the audition if I can? Give us a but of an idea what it was like to walk into a room with the boys from Dream Theater, and not to mention going head to head with the other six top-shelf drummers in the world – what was that like?

MM: It was like I was a little kid at a baseball event! I wanted the baseball in my hand, there was no way that I was going to do anything but strike everybody out, and run around, and grab the trophy. And, as weird as that sounds, you have to be that way. You have to go in, and really grab those sticks and get it done. What was odd for me, was that everybody [the other auditioners] was a little nervous, but I wasn’t. So that’s what it was like – being a little kid at little league baseball and wanting the baseball.

And you know, being with the Dream Theater guys, I just felt like I wanted to be the guy with the ball. I don’t have – I’m kinda a wannabe athlete (laughs) so I don’t have a better way to describe it – does that make sense?

DR: Perfect sense! But it’s not the first time you’ve been involved with six other drummers has it? I found out that you were involved in the ‘A Drummers Dream’ project as well.

MM: Yes, in fact that’s why I’m in Canada right now. We are doing our fifth incarnation of this camp, and I just arrived, ran in the door and made it just in time to do this interview. But yes, it’s a totally different situation where Auditioning for Dream Theater it’s every man for himself, where the best man gets the job. Had another one of my peers gotten the job I’d have been the first one to applaud, especially your boy Virgin [Donati] and I would have given him a congratulations and a big big big big hug. So that’s one thing.

But the Drummers Dream is different because it’s a teaching camp, where, you know, it’s a bunch of players who are also teachers and also learning from the kids. So it’s a different thing but, you know, the seven and seven it’s a little weird it’s the same number isn’t it?

DR: It is – but you just mentioned teaching. And speaking of it, how was the transition from teaching at Berklee, sessioning with people like Steve Vai and playing for extreme and annihilator, to becoming a ‘one band man’?

MM: Well you know that came form two different places, and my intention was good. Meaning, my intention behind going into teaching and leaving the touring world behind was two fold. Number one – I wanted to find a wife, make a family and live in my home town. Relax with my friends for a little bit. I just wanted to go home, and reset my charges a little bit.

The other thing was that teaching at Berklee and doing all the clinics as a one-man show for so long, my income nearly tripled. So it was financially good, and it was good because I did find a wife and I did make a family, and now the time has come where I wanted to be in a band again. My wife wanted me to be in a band – because she wanted me to be happy.

So the transition back was just one of those things where I just started making phone calls, got knee surgery and rehabbed [on the knee] for about a year, just got myself all prepared. Then the auditions came up so it was perfect timing.

DR: Sounds like it all fell into your lap?

MM: You know, it did. It’s kind of a funny thing. Depending on what your philosophy is, your beliefs and all that stuff – I mean as I said I wanted to be back in a band again but it didn’t happen when I wanted it to. But somehow, all my prayers got answered, better than if I had have answered them. Everything turned out better, than if I’d have scripted it myself.

DR: So how about fan reaction? I hear you had a very good reaction in Tel Aviv?

MM: Dave! The first show in Rome, we couldn’t start the third song as planned. That entire crowd was chanting my name! And I gotta tell you something, it was brilliant to do that documentary so that the people would at least get to know me, and they’d know that from the bottom of my heart, I really am a brother in this band already. And those people got it right away.

You know it’s not just about going out, playing the songs, and hitting the cymbals and a snare drum, it’s so much more than that. So the crow reaction from the beginning took all the pressure off. Those fans in Rome utterly made my life. Because from that point on, every night, at some point in the night was like that. It really was something special where… I mean come on, there are a lot of people who can hit drums and play music, people and players that we have never heard of, wonderful musicians… But there’s something more to this, and the fans picked it up – the ones that were there. And to see it happen every night, took all the pressure off.

I mean, what if it were you? What if you were up there? I mean I expected forty-two people to throw a tomato at me, and you know, yell my pal Portnoy’s name (laughs), and I wouldn’t have been upset at all. I’m just pinching myself at how welcoming every one is. It’s awesome.

DR: Lets get off touring for a second and talk about the Album. How much input did you have into the album? Did you write the drum beats and grooves? If not were they written when you got there? Did you have influence over them? How did all that work?

MM: It worked in that I had nothing to do with the writing, which is the greatest thing in the world. I wanted nothing to do with it. Who am I to walk in there, you know, playing a guitar or keyboard with John Petrucci or Jordan Rudess? I mean I couldn’t even fathom real song writing. Which doesn’t mean barking out commands form a drum set, I’m talking real song writing. So I had nothing to do with it, those guys did it. Petrucci programmed the drums and what happened was, it was awesome because he basically gave me a template of the ups and downs – you know the snare and kick kinda thing.

He also programmed some things that were very unorthodox, things that I wouldn’t come up with. Like hitting the snare drum as if it was a cymbal or something you know? Or some beats that were just wicked. So, I learned the drum machine beats, and then I changed a percentage of them, say about 70 percent.. And I went in and John just said ‘OK, play what you think.’ So I had complete influence and control and complete everything. But the funny thing is, and this is the reason that I’m so happy to be in this band, is because even when I played omething on the drums and I had a feeling about ‘hmm, I’m not too sure about that.’ Petrucci echoed it. He would say the same thing and ask me to try something else. Then I’d try something else.

For example I might say ‘I think I’m trying too hard on this.’ And Petrucci would say ‘Yeah, I think you’re trying too hard. Lets go back to the drum machine.’ So on some parts, we’d re-reference the drum machine, and I kinda played it exactly the way he had it, and then I went in and changed things. I’d change the embellishment – what cymbals or ride or hi-hat I’d be using, and also, what I had complete influence over was the swing. Meaning, there were moments where I’d play spot-on to the millisecond, and there were other moments where I added a 54 per-cent swing, or a 65, you know almost a triplet but not just to give some extra to it.

You know, on the album, there’s a spot in Breaking All Illusions, a spot in On The Backs of Angels where I go into a... sort of a swing but not. It’s just not like a drum machine, you know? So that’s what happened there, and it was a complete team effort I mean the funny thing is that we were on the same page. I want to acknowledge that you asked me that question – The reason is that because people have heard those little snippits, and no the full record like yourself. And you know they head Angels, and a lot of comments – not all – but enough were like ‘We wish Mangini went crazy’ or, ‘It sound like Petrucci made him play a drum machine, blah, blah, blah’ that’s totally not true. What happened is that John put these amazing drum machine parts together, and they went with the guitar, and then I re-interpreted them, and then we both evaluated them. And, in the end, I played what I thought was complete appropriate for the song. You know, it’s like, I’m sure you can hear from the mix that the drums are POWERFUL. They’re really airy and thick, but they’re not overly high-endy and way out in the front of the mix, and demolish the rest of my band mates. I mean you can say what about what you think, but I really think there was a lot of space there and when I had to go nuts I did. So, it all comes down to it being a mutual thing between John and me. Nothing is not meant, and everything is there because we agreed on it. I hope that’s not too much information!

DR: No not at all, it’s great actually.

MM: (Laughs)

DR: Are there any intentions to contribute anything extra to the band in the future? So, lyrics, or vocals or riffs or are you going to leave that up to the rest of the guys?

MM: It’s already happening! Dude, Dave, it’s already happening. Like, we are hanging out every night together. We are having a glass of wine, talking about life, talking about music, and you know before gigs we are practising, warming up together and I’m coming up with all these polyrhythmic, sick-o drum grooves. And Jordan and John are jumping all over this stuff. They’re already like, at sound check, we’re coming up with new ideas, It’s already happening. We haven’t even released this record yet, and we’re already coming up with crazy shit already, it’s just awesome. So yeah, I’m contributing.

DR: Excellent! A side note of the album, Systematic Chaos debuted at number 19, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings debuted at number 6 on the billboards, where do you think this one’s going to be?

MM: Where do I think it’s going to debut?

DR: Yeah.

MM: Where everything else is! Number one! (Laughs). It’s how everything else is going. I wouldn’t have it any other way. And you know, if it isn’t? I’m going to have to fly there, and do some extra interviews and buy people a lot of steaks and glasses of wine and we will make it number one. (Laughs)

DR: (laughs) Speaking of flight and flying here and around the world, what all Australian fans want to know is, Australian tour dates. Now, there’s probably not any dates set, but is there a plan for a world tour yet?

MM: Well I’ll tell you what, there’s better than that. I mean, there’s no definite plans just yet, and I’m a couple steps removed from who is arranging this, but I will tell you this. The band is so happy – I mean you only have to look on YouTube and see our smiling faces – especially out of Myung for cryin’ out loud, and we are so happy – just having a ball. My point being, that we want to go everywhere. And we are emailing each other asking where we want to play, and the answer is everywhere!

And I’ve been to Australia, and I love it so, so much there. In fact I love it so much there that my wife, who has heard me talk about it so much, she wants to go there too. But the band really wants to go as well, and the fact that the band really wants to go means that we are going to go. I’m not too sure when, but are so excited to come there. And I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

DR: Well we’re running out of time, but the last thing I wanted to ask was – have you got any words of wisdom for any aspiring drummers or musos out there?

MM: Yeah, you know I do. And that is to try and recognise your own gift. You know we show up to this world, and we don’t have a choice. And we show up how we show up. And as a teacher I know, that everybody has a gift. What ruins it, is when you try to be somebody else, when you try to do something else. And I’m not preaching to anybody, I’m talking about me too! I mean, my whole life people tapping me on the shoulder saying ‘You play too many drums, you play too many notes, blah blah blah blah’ I mean these people are just miserable, I don’t know why they can’t just pick up a tennis racquet and have a cocktail and have some fun – I don’t know what their problem is.

Really, I mean this, everybody needs to find out what their gift is and work their arse off. Just go to work. You know the whole infrastructure of the world, is crumbling, in front of our eyes, because of laziness, because of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side, and everybody is worried about everybody else, but nobody wants to clean the car, clean the toilet, nobody wants to rake the leaves or cut the grass. Man, I finally got the pay off, because I cut the grass in my own yard for once instead of worrying about somebody else’s.

That would be my advice – just recognise your own talent, your gift to this world and practise it. All I can say is that my prayers weren’t answered on my agenda. I was kicking and screaming for three or four years thinking ‘What’s going on here?’ But sometimes, the plan is different for us, and sometimes the patience pays off. Sometimes, it doesn’t. And I don’t have all the answers but I think if you follow your gift, I think you can’t go wrong. And that’s more important than worrying about a paradiddle or your foot speed or something.

DR: Well, thanks so much again for talking to me today. When you guys do hit Australia, please don’t be a stranger, give us a call – we can set up the barbie and bring the guys – but James has to sing for his dinner. (laughs) So, again thank you so much, and welcome to the Majesty mate.

MM: Well thank you so much and I can’t wait to get there and eat some Moreton Bay Bugs. I can’t wait to come there, I love that place. And I know I might sound very excited, but… you know I’ve cried like twenty times after that documentary I’m so happy. Some people think it’s a sign of weakness, but I don’t care. I’m a very happy person. Great to talk to you.

DR: Thank you very much again, great to talk to you and I’ll see you on the road.

MM: Thank you Dave, take care.

DR: I will, you too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:37:32 PM by Nick »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: New interview with MM
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:40:34 AM »
Great interview. He seems to address things head on, and yet is still so polite.

I liked his response to the programmed drums, and his involvement in songwriting. Great stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »
Where everything else is! Number one! (Laughs). It’s how everything else is going. I wouldn’t have it any other way. And you know, if it isn’t? I’m going to have to fly there, and do some extra interviews and buy people a lot of steaks and glasses of wine and we will make it number one.

;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:32:17 AM »
To me, this sum up perfectly what it's happening in DT land and what we could expect for the future...

Dave, it’s already happening. Like, we are hanging out every night together. We are having a glass of wine, talking about life, talking about music, and you know before gigs we are practising, warming up together and I’m coming up with all these polyrhythmic, sick-o drum grooves. And Jordan and John are jumping all over this stuff. They’re already like, at sound check, we’re coming up with new ideas, It’s already happening. We haven’t even released this record yet, and we’re already coming up with crazy shit already, it’s just awesome. So yeah, I’m contributing.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
hmm...

cool.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
Once again, a great interview. I really like his attitude towards songwriting in general.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Millais

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
I liked his response to the programmed drums, and his involvement in songwriting. Great stuff.

Great interview! so good to see how well the band seems to be getting on - with all the new songwriting/contacting each other about where they'd like to go :)
and great to see that he has influenced his own drum parts in the new record!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »
Aussie tour coming soon! :metal

Online Mladen

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
Incredible.

Just incredible.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »
I love this...

"I mean, my whole life people tapping me on the shoulder saying ‘You play too many drums, you play too many notes, blah blah blah blah’ I mean these people are just miserable, I don’t know why they can’t just pick up a tennis racquet and have a cocktail and have some fun – I don’t know what their problem is."

Offline ronrule

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
don’t know why they can’t just pick up a tennis racquet and have a cocktail and have some fun

Photoshop?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: DT found the right man.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
I for one am excited for this album. I haven't been excited for an album since TOT and that was kind of disappointing. This will be the first album in 2 albums that i will rush out and buy. I'm glad they are renewed and enjoying jamming with MM.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »
Great interview!  Mangini is such a likable guy. :tup :tup

And if they are already jamming on and coming up with new stuff, it makes you wonder if they'd do something new (like, so new it didn't make ADTOE) on the tour, or maybe even jump right back in the studio when the tour is finished while the creative ideas are flowing and fresh.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
MM:"Yeah, you know I do. And that is to try and recognise your own gift. You know we show up to this world, and we don’t have a choice. And we show up how we show up. And as a teacher I know, that everybody has a gift. What ruins it, is when you try to be somebody else, when you try to do something else. And I’m not preaching to anybody, I’m talking about me too! I mean, my whole life people tapping me on the shoulder saying ‘You play too many drums, you play too many notes, blah blah blah blah’ I mean these people are just miserable, I don’t know why they can’t just pick up a tennis racquet and have a cocktail and have some fun – I don’t know what their problem is.

Really, I mean this, everybody needs to find out what their gift is and work their arse off. Just go to work. You know the whole infrastructure of the world, is crumbling, in front of our eyes, because of laziness, because of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side, and everybody is worried about everybody else, but nobody wants to clean the car, clean the toilet, nobody wants to rake the leaves or cut the grass. Man, I finally got the pay off, because I cut the grass in my own yard for once instead of worrying about somebody else’s.

That would be my advice – just recognise your own talent, your gift to this world and practise it. All I can say is that my prayers weren’t answered on my agenda. I was kicking and screaming for three or four years thinking ‘What’s going on here?’ But sometimes, the plan is different for us, and sometimes the patience pays off. Sometimes, it doesn’t. And I don’t have all the answers but I think if you follow your gift, I think you can’t go wrong. And that’s more important than worrying about a paradiddle or your foot speed or something."

Awesome

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 09:43:19 AM »

And if they are already jamming on and coming up with new stuff, it makes you wonder if they'd do something new (like, so new it didn't make ADTOE) on the tour, or maybe even jump right back in the studio when the tour is finished while the creative ideas are flowing and fresh.

I would bet neither, although it may mean they'll enter the studio next time with some completed demos.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
Great interview.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »

I would bet neither, although it may mean they'll enter the studio next time with some completed demos.

I would love it if they found some studio time within the next year and we get a new album in 2012!!!

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
Great interview!
DT found the right man.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROPER FORMAT WHEN POSTING INTERVIEWS OR YOUR THREAD MAY BE LOCKED OR DELETED.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=24371.msg935948#msg935948

Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROPER FORMAT WHEN POSTING INTERVIEWS OR YOUR THREAD MAY BE LOCKED OR DELETED.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=24371.msg935948#msg935948

Thanks.

Oh, sorry Bosk. I wrote all the informations (except for the date, which is Aug 17th) but in the wrong positions. Is there any options to solve this? 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

Thanks.

Oh, sorry Bosk. I wrote all the informations (except for the date, which is Aug 17th) but in the wrong positions. Is there any options to solve this? 

Edit your Subject in the OP

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

Thanks.

Edit your Subject in the OP

Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Mike Mangini interview by theaureview.com 17/08/2011
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »

Thanks.

No problem.  Just trying to make sure people are aware, because it gets confusing when a lot of new interview threads pop up, and people are like, "wait--did I see that one, or is this a newer new one?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jyoung320

• Trapped inside this OCTOQUARIUM! (Misheard lyrics)
Re: Mike Mangini interview by theaureview.com 17/08/2011
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
This band is whole again, he is just perfect. I love his attitude, his playing style, I'm just glad the stars aligned the way they did. I love MP but something had to give and I'm personally glad it was one for the benefit of millions. ADTOE is going to be something the boys hang their hats on and are proud of, nothing to me has sounded generic or manufactured. Much to the way IaW, SFaM, SDOIT and some of 8V were removed from. While the other albums have a certain air of overproduction in some or a lot of parts, imo.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: Mike Mangini interview by theaureview.com 2011-08-17
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 02:40:44 PM »
Hard to say anything that hasn't already been said, but MMX is such a likeable person, and it's great to see that they are already being very creative together.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
It's hard not to be incredibly happy for him.  I'm not a "fate" kind of person, but it seems like his entire professional (and to some degree, personal) life has been a setup for now.

Really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline champbassist

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
Question begins:

DR: Well we’re running out of time...

MM's answer:

MM: Yeah, you know I do. And that is to try and recognise your own gift. You know we show up to this world, and we don’t have a choice. And we show up how we show up. And as a teacher I know, that everybody has a gift. What ruins it, is when you try to be somebody else, when you try to do something else. And I’m not preaching to anybody, I’m talking about me too! I mean, my whole life people tapping me on the shoulder saying ‘You play too many drums, you play too many notes, blah blah blah blah’ I mean these people are just miserable, I don’t know why they can’t just pick up a tennis racquet and have a cocktail and have some fun – I don’t know what their problem is.

That would be my advice – just recognise your own talent, your gift to this world and practise it. All I can say is that my prayers weren’t answered on my agenda. I was kicking and screaming for three or four years thinking ‘What’s going on here?’ But sometimes, the plan is different for us, and sometimes the patience pays off. Sometimes, it doesn’t. And I don’t have all the answers but I think if you follow your gift, I think you can’t go wrong. And that’s more important than worrying about a paradiddle or your foot speed or something.

I think we can safely say he's a chatty fellow ;D

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
In some ways he's both the opposite and the same as John Myung. He does say a lot, but it all has so much meaning. Myung doesn't speak a lot, but when he does, it's something meaningful, and he feels like he has to say it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I love Mike Mangini. :heart
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »
It was a good interview, but I gotta be honest, out of all the drummers auditioning, he appeared the most nervous. I definitely love his enthusiasm though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 11:38:07 PM »
It was a good interview, but I gotta be honest, out of all the drummers auditioning, he appeared the most nervous. I definitely love his enthusiasm though

Priester seemed a lot more nervous, but I think Mangini was rather nervous only because he wanted it so much.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:08:05 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »

I mean I couldn’t even fathom real song writing. Which doesn’t mean barking out commands form a drum set, I’m talking real song writing.

:tup :tup

Offline Evo

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:15 AM »
Great interview. I think it's kinda creepy to stalk DT wives/families on FB though.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
This interview with Mike P is kind of appropriate.

Akhil Pa asks, Is there any drummer whose style you feel but just can't emulate?

"Hmmm. That's a good one. I don't know. Any drummer who's been a big influence on me, I've always been able to replicate what they do and work up a mock version of their style - to a certain degree. John Bonham, Keith Moon, Ringo, Neil Peart - I've played their music in all of my tribute bands. I feel them, I know their style, and when I played their parts in those tribute bands I was able to replicate them respectfully and somewhat authentically.

"There's other drummers: Terry Bozzio is one of my favorites, and I feel a strong presence of his style within me. As much as people love to bash on him and hate him, Lars Ulrich is great - there's a lot of him in what I do. Stewart Copeland, too - I love to emulate what he does."

"Anybody I can't replicate? I don't know. Maybe some of the super, super-technical guys like Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati and Mike Mangini - they do things that I physically can't do. But the drummers who really influenced me, they're all in me and they come out, whether I like it or not."
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.