Author Topic: The official "Clue MasterShakezula into College and the Real World" thread  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Rather than sidetrack every other thread, let's use this one.

He wants to know about the college experience.  Tell him guys...

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
It's awesome, but dorms blow giant donkey penis in every way.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Protip: As you progress through your degree, drink more and more to drown the steadily increasing anxiety that comes with having to enter the real world.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
Protip: As you progress through your degree, drink more and more to drown the steadily increasing anxiety that comes with having to enter the real world.
If I follow this, I'll die of alcohol poisoning next week.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
DTVT and other fellow members, I am starting to figure out what you're getting at here:

You're really cool, and kind heart-ed gentlemen who are trying to get me to better myself through tough love, which is probably what I needed.   :biggrin:

Thank you for doing this; I really want to know about the real world, so that I'm actually able to take care of myself, as opposed to living off of inheritance and not doing anything of worth to society. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
MAKE THE MOST OF THE EXPERIENCE!!!

Do everything you want to do, take the classes that you want to take even if it'll delay your graduation, meet many people and make great friends.

When I look back at my college experience (only being one year since I graduated) I have such a great life experience. Tons of friends, tons of drinks (among other things) lots of dating including a great college relationship, many interesting classes and while I made mistakes along the way I can safely look back at those 5.5 years and say that period I really learned who I was.

/cheesy drunken college talk.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
You may have some sleepless nights studying if you care about your grades like I used to.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Be prepared to go through long periods of uncertainty as to where you're going with your life. The 20-somethings thread would be good reading material for that.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
You may have some sleepless nights studying if you care about your grades like I used to.

I thought this was a given for anyone in college.
I AM A GUY

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Be prepared to go through long periods of uncertainty as to where you're going with your life. The 20-somethings thread would be good reading material for that.

This for myself and a lot of people I've graduated with.

I agree with this, especially around exam time.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Well, I just know some people don't give a shit about any of it and will take C's rather than put in any extra effort or lose sleep.

Offline robwebster

Going to disagree here - mine was pretty cool. All your mates in one big hotel, what's not to like?

You do get house parties when you move into houses, though, so you know. Swings 'n' roundabouts.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Going to disagree here - mine was pretty cool. All your mates in one big hotel, what's not to like?

You do get house parties when you move into houses, though, so you know. Swings 'n' roundabouts.

Dorms at my uni weren't that great. All of them had very strict rules and I never lived in one, I always stayed off campus.

That said when I started dating a RA at a girls dorm I stayed at her place most of the week because the convenience of a dorm is just fantastic.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree with Rob. Yeah, there were some annoying rules and the food wasn't great, but it was pretty fun.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

You can't drink in dorms in America (at least, not without fear of getting in trouble in some form).

Offline robwebster

You can't drink in dorms in America (at least, not without fear of getting in trouble in some form).

Dear christ.

Yeah, okay, I can see how that'd be a problem. Still - all the more excuse for a good night out.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
The no-drinking-rule is one I'd be able to handle.  I am a teetotaler.  What helps motivate me is the knowledge that much of my mother's side of the family consists of under-achieving alcoholics. 

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Dear christ.

Yeah, okay, I can see how that'd be a problem. Still - all the more excuse for a good night out.

Yep. And in reality, it's not like it stops anyone from drinking, you just don't get the crazy dorm parties that we got in UK. Frankly I loved the year I spent in a dorm in America, though I definitely preferred apartment life.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member

Dear christ.

In my dorm, if you were 21 and over you could drink.
I AM A GUY

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Dear christ.

In my dorm, if you were 21 and over you could drink.

Ah, at UCSB only freshmen (and a few sophomores) live in dorms so that's not really an issue.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, during our frosh week orientation, they laid out the ground rules for us: you can drink in residence even if you're underage without consequence so long as you do it in your room. If they catch you drinking in a hallway or common room, you usually get a warning (fines for repeat offenses). Our province's drinking age is 19 though, so that's probably why the American dorms are stricter.

I have a friend at McGill University in Montreal (in that province, the drinking age is 18), so they can drink pretty much where ever in residence so long as they aren't being drunken and disorderly.

But yeah, my university is pretty chill about drinking. It isn't uncommon for course information sessions to entice people with pizza and beer.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I've always heard studying is a lot more important in college than in high school. I get by with 70s, 80s, and 90s and I haven't studied once in high school, haha.

Offline Elsydeon

I've always heard studying is a lot more important in college than in high school. I get by with 70s, 80s, and 90s and I haven't studied once in high school, haha.
That is going to change.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I've never gotten a grade lower than a B in high school, except for one semester in honors cultural geography (hardass class), and even then, the C I got counted as a B, since honors classes at my school count as 1 letter grade higher.  Hence, why I've gotten about 50/50 As and Bs, and have a 3.9 GPA, though I'm going for straight As both semesters this year, which would be a 4.4 each semester, so that coming out of this junior year, I have over a 4.0 and can get into a college.  

I honestly was a lazy ass freshman year, and had issues balancing my time wisely most of sophomore year until marching band/drumline season ended in April after going on all year.  This year, I'm doing neither and am going to work my ass of.  I'm going to work my fucking ass off and will do a good job, because I know I have the capacity to do so!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
I pretty well coasted through high school with a 4.4 GPA, went through my first year of uni pretty easily, and am now suffering the consequences of never having developed good study skills. It sucks cock.

Offline wammabe

Rather than sidetrack every other thread, let's use this one.

He wants to know about the college experience.  Tell him guys...
I'll never trust profile information again in DTF.

Anyways, I'm also a bit clueless about college and the Real World.
Is college going to significantly affect my social experience for the rest of my life?
If that's the case, then I think moving out to go to a far away college is not a good idea for me.

What exactly is so bad about dorms aside from the rules it might have?

Will I have time for DTF in an intense 2-year college?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Wait, shakes a girl? I always assumed she was a guy based on her (now defunct) avatar of the kid from American Dad. Actually, I pretty much assumed that's exactly what he/she looked like.

mind = blown

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
He is a guy.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
I'm confused.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
No need to be confused; the bottom line is, though, that I am clueless about the real world and know next to nothing about college, because I am not good with socially-interacting, and as a result, I know nothing about college, due to knowing no one who has been in college in the last 20 years.  

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
If Shake's a girl then we all just got trolled really damn hard.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
It's a long story that goes back about 12 hours or so.  I'd tell it, but it'd be much more fun to see someone else's clever summary. 

Offline wammabe

I'm also horrible at socially-interacting. Which is why I want to know if my college social life will be important for the rest of my life. I DO have a brother that's in college, but socially he is very different from me.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Is that you or him? 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Sorry, had to run to the store.

A few things to keep in mind Shake:

1) and this is VERY IMPORTANT:  Things don't always go according to your plans.  Matter of fact, very little will.  Don't set very specific goals for yourself at this point in your life.  I know they are teaching more career awareness in HS, but if you start thinking in too much detail about what you want, you're not going to handle the dissapointment when it comes, AND IT WILL COME at some point.  For now, getting into an appropriate college and having a general idea of what you want to do is enough.  When I was your age, I wanted to be a neurosurgeon just so I could become filthy rich.  When I was a freshman, I wanted to get into football coaching and I did.  Then I realized while I loved coaching, teaching high school kids would not be intellectually stimulating to me.  Hello grad school.  Realized I enjoy teaching chemistry almost as much as I loved coaching football.  Hello career.   I have friends who's career trajectory is much more random and sporadic, but they all fell into something they wanted to do.

2) You have to learn to be social.  I'm not talking about being one of the cool kids.  Those kids are assholes, I used to be one of them.  But you need to learn to get along with your peer group, and as you get older your peer group will be less about age and more about what you have in common.  You need to get along with your co-workers, superiors, and subordinates.  Everyone talks about networking, but you learn how to do it without making it obvious you are trying to puts you ahead of the game.  I met a professor at a teaching conference that I went to specifically to network simply because we had a shared love of spicy food.  We had a contest to see who could handle the hottest stuff, and by the next session everyone knew who the grad student and the Hungarian guy from the small college were, and all because we weren't afraid to be ourselves.  People saw us as friendly and outgoing, and everyone tried to get us during break down group because we were engaging and comfortable in our own skin.  We weren't putting on an act, it was natural.  That means make friends, the kinds you can physically shake hands with.  Start practicing in HS.

3)  Dorms are required (and a good thing) the first year, but they suck beyond that.  Don't become an RA.  You'll encounter way too many people in situations you'd rather not be in, and I'm not just talking about finding some dude masterbating to a picture of a female RA.  When you move off campus, learn to cook.  Start easy, raman noodles, mac & cheese from a box, hot dogs.  Gradually move up in complexity.  Cooking impresses people (particularly ladies), look at how big of a rockstar lonestar is here.  You also learn more about finance.  You learn how to deal with others.  One roommate doesn't do the dishes, another has the TV too loud when playing video games, another is taking his sweet-ass time in the bathroom and you need to get to class.  All that stuff prepares you for the real world.  It's also a great way to make great friends.

4)  Don't throw a party at your place.  Someone else is always willing to host a party.  Trash their place, don't let people trash yours.

5)  Don't hesitate, just do it.  You don't want to live with regret later.  Have fun, whatever that becomes for you.  That doesn't mean get blitzed the night before your 8 am final, but go bowling with your friends and stay up late to finish that assignment occasionally.

6)  The real world can wait.  Enjoy all the time you have until then.

7)  Internet message boards barely existed when I was your age, and I didn't have the internet or anyone to tell me what to do/expect in college.  It's different for everyone, don't plan it or micromanage your life that way you can enjoy it.