Author Topic: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o  (Read 67743 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o
« Reply #385 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
^ That. My guess for the third would be Tusk, but idk. I don't think Zack will have Tusk above Rumours, so it's probably not on this list.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
I know what it is because he told me, but I won't ruin it. I think the placing will surprise you guys. :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

4. The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North

Dear Hunter's best album comes in at number 4. Pretty crazy how much I've gotten into these guys considering I only started listening to them about 7 or 8 months ago. Anyway, the first Act is easily my favorite one for many reasons. It has the perfect blend of pop, rock, prog and everything else that I could ever really ask for in an album. It's also the most concise one, managing to perfectly fit all of the amazing elements of TDH into roughly 40 minutes. Also, the run from "1878" to "His Hands Matched His Tongue" is probably the greatest three song run ever.

Favorite tracks: "His Hands Matched His Tongue", "The Pimp and the Priest", "1878"

DAMMIT!

This is an EP!!  >:(

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »
It's 40 minutes long, there's no way it's an EP.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #389 on: September 11, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »
Completely disagree. It's over 38 minutes long. It's about the same length as most LPs from the 60s/70s. On top of that, it has 8 songs. Nowhere near EP status, imo.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
Yeah, not an EP. I just listened to this album yesterday for the first time!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
Completely disagree. It's over 38 minutes long. It's about the same length as most LPs from the 60s/70s. On top of that, it has 8 songs. Nowhere near EP status, imo.
Indeed.

There are even some albums released recently that run about this length.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
I also agree that it's not an EP, but I can see why Casey thinks of it as such. The first 2 songs are essentially "intros", and the last song isn't really a song at all. There's only 5 traditional songs on the album.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »

3. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that really likes this album. Almost every other Nick Drake fan I know prefers one of the other albums by him more. That being said I don't think i've ever even questioned the fact that I think this is his best album. Every song has meaning to mean in some way or another, and it is truly the perfect album for me to put on when I am contented, relaxed and just hanging out. I don't need to carefully listen and I don't need to be giving it my full attention, but whether I am or not, it manages to bring extra pleasure to whatever it is I may be doing. When I first discovered this album, I was spinning it at least 3 times a day for almost a month, and even though I don't spin it that often anymore, I am always brought back to some of my most contented, happy moments whenever I hear this album, or any songs off it.

Favorite tracks: "Northern Sky", "Poor Boy", "One of These Things First", "Hazey Jane II"
I AM A GUY

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
It's 40 minutes long, there's no way it's an EP.

A Change of Seasons is 57 minutes long and that's an EP too...

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
...and Nick Drake's Pink Moon is 28 minutes long and it's considered a full length album.
I AM A GUY

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
Act I is labelled an EP, therefore it's an EP.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
...and Nick Drake's Pink Moon is 28 minutes long and it's considered a full length album.

Kind of my point.  Length is less important than how the artist designates it.  I think in general its really kind of a meaningless distinction and I'm not even sure why it exists, but given the lack of consistency in determining what makes an album vs. an EP, I think the way the artist labels it is the most reliable factor.  TDH labels Act I as an EP, hence, imo, it's an EP.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
EP means extended play, and LP means long play. It's definitely about how long it is.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »

Kind of my point.  Length is less important than how the artist designates it.  I think in general its really kind of a meaningless distinction and I'm not even sure why it exists, but given the lack of consistency in determining what makes an album vs. an EP, I think the way the artist labels it is the most reliable factor.  TDH labels Act I as an EP, hence, imo, it's an EP.
Well then was it really that necessary to split hairs about it being an EP vs. it being an album? :)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #400 on: September 11, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
EP means extended play, and LP means long play. It's definitely about how long it is.

Well, that was the original intention, and works as a loose guide, but its gone through so many definition changes and categorizations over the years that at this point there's no hard cutoff.

Well then was it really that necessary to split hairs about it being an EP vs. it being an album? :)

Only because he put "No EPs" as one of his rules.

« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »
Only because he put "No EPs" as one of his rules.
Ah, missed that.

For shame Quad, for shame!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
Act I is more or less a concept album. It just happens to be that the first section of the story only took 5 songs I guess, because I do not view it as an EP at all. ACOS is ONE dream theater song, and then a bunch of live cover songs tacked on. Its really more like an EP/Live set split than anything.

Also Nick Drake is good, thought you already had three albums on your list but I guess not.  :P Great album!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #403 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:31 AM »
Even though I haven't heard Act I, I'd say that 38 minutes feels more like an album to me.
I would probably draw the line of what I consider and EP and what I consider an album around the 25 min mark.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »

2. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

This album is nothing short of perfect. Seriously, from the opening notes to the ending ones, there is not a single second of this album that I am not absolutely, 100% in love with. I really can't say anything else.. I guess I'll just point out some of my favorite moments from each song.

Deadwing- The reverby guitar break that comes in towards the end of the song. It is just dripping with emotion and it conveys the mood of the piece perfectly without any words whatsoever.

Shallow- The breakdown. 'Nuff said

Lazarus- The entire song as a whole is pretty much the main thing I like about the song. From the piano during the chorus to the lyrics, to the subtle train sound effects. My greatest ever concert moment was seeing this song live and singing along to the last chorus with SW. Tears were had.

Halo- The message of this song is something that I have had a strong affinity with since I first heard it. People that are nominally religious and do not live out their beliefs is probably one of the biggest pet peeves of mine, and this song really hits home with me in that department. the instrumental break has some awesome parts, and the way that SW plays this song live is just nothing short of spectacular.

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here- I got through phases with this song, where sometimes I feel like it is too long, and other times I feel like it is one of the bands crowning acheivements, but no matter the case, every time I listen to it, I just have to stop what I'm doing and sing along, or totally rock out to it (depending on which part is on). Deadwing is the first PT album that came out after I discovered PT, and ASBNH is the first PT song that really made me realize that PT was my favorite band (and they still are to this day)

Mellotron Scratch- If someone put a gun to my head and asked me what my favorite PT song was, I would say this one. The verse, "I lay her gently on my clothes, She will leave me yes I know" gets me everytime because I have literally lived that out before. The harmonies and vocal layering at the end of the song is probably my favorite minute in all of music.

Open Car- this song is absolutely killer live. Having seen it on both the DVD and in person, I can say that it is one of the best songs I've ever seen translated to a live setting. The way that SW and JW do the chorus is very beautiful, and the biting riff that makes up the majority of the song is just.. perfect.

The Start of Something Beautiful- The bass. That fucking bass. Also, the lyrics for the chorus are incredible.

The more I show the way I feel
The less I find you give a damn
The more I get to know
The less I find that I understand
Innocent, the time we spent
Forgot to mention we're good friends
You thought it was the start of something beautiful?
Well think again.

One of my favorite lyrics ever for sure. The harmonies on the chorus the last time it passes in the song are also really cool, and I didn't catch them the first few times I heard it, but now I always listen for them because of how interesting and unique they are.

Glass Arm Shattering- The perfect way to close a perfect album. This song in the 5.1 mix is probably one of the best mixed surround sound thing ever done, because the way it just fills the room is absolutely untouchable. One of my best memories of this is listening to this with ZBomber in my living room, BLASTING it, completely stoned. :heart

and the bonus track is cool too.

Anyway, yea, so with the exception of one more album, Deadwing falls in second place, but I still consider it perfection, and PT will probably never top it. I almost don't want them to either.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ħ

« Reply #405 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Ehhhh Deadwing is awesome as an album but it's just missing something.  I never find myself going to individual tracks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: September 12, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »
Deadwing is a killer album. Good choice.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: September 12, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
The scratching on the Zaaaaaackotron
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
I miss when zack could post here. :(
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #409 on: September 12, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
SHUT UP HAYDEN

Zack  :heart :heart :heart :heart Love the write-up. Well said about Open Car, people seem to shit on that song a lot but it was one of the highlights from the RCMH show for me... just so much energy!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #410 on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
Now that I look back on it, I definitely should have skipped all of my classes and driven 8 hours to see that show. Totally serious, btw.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2011, 07:21:40 PM »
Now that I look back on it, I definitely should have skipped all of my classes and driven 8 hours to see that show. Totally serious, btw.

It honestly was the greatest night of my life. YOU MUST DRIVE UP NEXT TIME even if they are playing closer to you

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
If it's during the summer or winter break I definitely will. I'm getting into some harder classes now, so I don't think I can afford to miss any classes, especially if it takes 8 hours to drive there lol.
I AM A GUY

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #413 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
Hmm... Interesting choice, I could never get into Deadwing quite as much as In Absentia.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 12, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
Hmm... Interesting choice, I could never get into Deadwing quite as much as In Absentia.

I feel the same, there are bits and pieces of Deadwing that I adore but the rest is forgettable.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: September 12, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
This is probably going to be one of the most personal things I've written, so please bear with me as I go through this. It's kind of cliched, but it's the only way I know how to do this.

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

October 6, 2003.

The single "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" is released. It was pretty much an instant smash hit, receiving massive air time. My first exposure to BN was seeing the music video for the song on FUSE (a station that actually played music videos, unlike MTV, although it's since become another incarnation of MTV). I remember liking the song, but not really being all that impressed (although I did grow to really like the song later on)

February 2, 2004.

Brand New releases the video for "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades". It was only a few months prior to this that I had just started learning the Bass Guitar. For those of you that know the song, it has an insanely groovy, simple, catchy bassline. I first heard the song and was utterly floored. I learned the bassline and spent countless hours in my room playing along to this song. I eventually went out and picked up the album (I'm on my second or third copy of Deja at this point) and I became slightly more than casual, but not crazy Brand New fan.

November 20, 2006.

The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is released in the United States. At this point, I was not an avid music collecter yet, and I wasn't really staying on top of things, so the album released under my radar. A few weeks into release, my best friend from high school's girlfriend at the time is sitting with us at lunch and is absolutely raving about Devil and God (henceforth shortened to DaG). Completely remembering songs like Sic Transit and TBWBHOS, I am immediately intrigued and I went home and pirated DaG. I listened to it, probably not even all the way through, and probably not even paying close attention. I remember liking it, but not really thinking anything of it.

April 30, 2007.

"Jesus Christ" is released as a single onto the airwaves. I heard the song, and was completely shocked to realize that it was Brand New, and that it was off the album that I had so callously forgotten about. This inspired me to listen to DaG a few more times, appreciating it a little more each time. At this point in time, I like the album enough to go out and buy it, but I still do not really "get it" like I will as few years down the road.

September 30, 2007.

I start dating my girlfriend, Kristin. She is my first "real" girlfriend, my first true kiss, and my first (and only) true love. We met at the library that we both worked at, and we had a lot in common. Perhaps the most noticeable thing is our similar interests in music, and while she is not really a Brand New fan, its definitely important to note her in this timeline. Her birthday is April 18. One of her favorite bands is Yellowcard. I am moderately interested in them. As fate would have it, Brand New is playing a headlining show at a college about 40 minutes away. Who is opening? Yellowcard? What day is this show?

April 18, 2008.

I buy tickets for us to see the Brand New / Yellowcard show on her birthday. A few of her friends come with us. We arrive at the venue, and I am excited because I have found out that Yellowcard will be playing an all acoustic set, and that Brand New will get a little extra time during their set. I am a sucker for anything acoustic, so I thoroughly enjoy the show that Yellowcard puts on, and the excitement builds as BN is about to hit the stage. The lights go out, it gets quiet. The curtains open to reveal two drum sets, each kit has a person at it. They begin to play "Welcome to Bangkok" while the tape loops play over and over, "Space cadet, pull out.  Space cadet, pull out.  Space cadet.. pull out." The rest of the band walks on the stage and one of the best concert experience of my life begins.

Welcome to Bangkok
Luca
Sowing Season
Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades
Jaws Theme Swimming
Millstone
The Archers Bows Have Broken
Soco Amaretto Lime (Jesse solo)
Moshi Moshi (Jesse solo)
Play Crack the Sky
Handcuffs
Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't
The Shower Scene
The No Seatbelt Song
Jesus Christ
Degausser
You Won't Know

Out of my entire group of friends that were present, I am the only one still standing in the crowd by the time Handcuffs is on. They were all too tired to stand there and everyone left the auditorium and were waiting in the lobby for the show to end. In short, it was the best show I had seen since my very first concert ever (Peter Gabriel in 2006) and the best show I was at until seeing Porcupine Tree in 2010 at Radio City. I leave the venue with a new appreciation for Brand New, live shows, and music in general.

By this time I am getting more and more into DaG, but its still not anything mindblowingly spectacular to me. However, it does not last.

As with everything in my life, nothing is 100% consistant, and as I grow older, I get into bands like Dream Theater and by extention, older prog. Yes. Genesis. etc. Before long, Brand New, and DaG is a distant memory for me.

March 17, 2010.

Probably one of the worst days of my life. Me and Kristin break up as result of a lot of different issues that had been building up and it all comes to a head on this day. She leaves my room after we split up and I am left completely unable to do anything with myself. In the aftermath of this event (whether it was days or weeks after our breakup I can't recall, but it was soon after) I happen upon my DaG CD. I don't know what compells me to, but I put it on. I listen to it all the way through, and in that moment I feel like I am aware of everything that has happened in my life until that moment. Every emotion I have ever felt suddenly makes sense. The lyrics feel like they are being written to me, with all my twisted, pent up feelings inside. I cry probably more than I ever have in my life as Handcuffs ends and the last lines of the album repeat a few times.

"It’s hard to be the better man when you forget you’re trying. It’s hard to be the better man when you’re still lying."

If there was ever a time I knew that an album had truly "clicked", it was right here in this moment.

I still can't really pinpoint exactly why The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me connects with me the most. It could be the overwhelming emotional lyrics that are present in every single song. Being from the same area as the band, I can relate to a lot of the things that Jesse writes about (be it the high drunk driving accident rates we have, the typical Long Island "scene" of people that just make his music seem so familiar to me, or what have you). Perhaps its the musicality of this album that is so subtle, but so blatantly apparant throughout. Whether it be the soft, entrancing feel of Jesus, or the brooding and angry feeling of "You Won't Know", or the more upbeat, angsty feel of Archers, there is not a single moment on this album that feels at all foreign to me. The body, mind and soul of this record is something that has become a permanent part of my own essence, and for all I know, I wouldn't even be  alive today if it weren't for this record.

Like all music with me, I go through phases. There are times, spans of months even, where I might not listen to this album. There are memories that I have that are so ingrained into my psyche, however, and failure to revist them and confront them results in a darkness that eats away at me like nothing else. This melancholia, sadness, despair that lives deep within me is typically only satisfied by this album.

I have no idea how I am going to come to and end with this write up. I guess the only thing I can say is that, deep down, I know that this album will always be with me. All other bands can come and go, and in ten years, I might be into a completely different genre of music and not even care about rock music. But DaG will always be there. It will always be that 50 minutes of brutal honesty that allows me to see clearly through all the other bull shit in life. It will always be there.

I can never lose it.
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #416 on: September 12, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
Damn, that was a great read. Thanks Zack.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »
Well written, Zack.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #418 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
Woah that is a lot of text. 

Good album, though.