News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Finishing Quadrochosis' top 50 v. now in the top 10 :o

Started by Quadrochosis, August 22, 2011, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcidLameLTE

Quote from: ariich on September 06, 2011, 10:38:41 AM
Alchemy Index is friggin' fantastic!

But Beggars is better. :P
lolno

Vheissu is also better than Beggars.

Zantera

I'd rank the ones I've heard:

The Alchemy Index
Vheissu
Beggars
The Artist In the Ambulance

But with that said, they are all fantastic.

zxlkho

Beggars >= Major/Minor > Vheissu > TAI > IoS > TAITA

obligatory imo

AcidLameLTE

Quote from: Zantera on September 06, 2011, 11:00:35 AM
I'd rank the ones I've heard:

The Alchemy Index
Vheissu
Beggars

But with that said, they are all fantastic.
I agree with this list. I'd probably put Illusion Of Safety below The Artist in the Ambulance.

They're all good albums though.

ZBomber

The Water EP has been getting continuous plays from me. So beautiful! All of The Alchemy Index is great, though.

ClairvoyantCat

Vheissu
The Illusion of Safety
The Alchemy Index
Beggars
Identity Crisis

That's how I'd put it at least

Nick

Heretic

Uh, wait, so is Quad banned permanently?

Anyways, Beggars is my favorite, but Major/Minor is insanely awesome and The Alchemy Index is great too.

zxlkho

Quote from: Heretic on September 06, 2011, 04:35:29 PM
Uh, wait, so is Quad banned permanently?

Anyways, Beggars is my favorite, but Major/Minor is insanely awesome and The Alchemy Index is great too.

Yes and you are correct.

zxlkho

6. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The greatest pop album ever written, and I have ZBomber to thank for showing it to me. Every single song is beyond catchy, beyond amazing and is interesting and different in some way. From the awesome guitar lines from Lindsey Buckinham to McVie's ridiculous basslines to the epic vocals from Stevie, there is not a single complaint I can make about this album. Anyone who is a fan of music really needs to check this album out.

Favorite Songs: "Dreams", "The Chain", "Silver Springs", "Go Your Own Way"

ZBomber

bosk1

King Postwhore

That album holds the test of time.  I never get sick of it.  Great choice.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ZBomber

Quote from: bosk1 on September 06, 2011, 05:39:52 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on September 06, 2011, 05:26:13 PM
:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

But I would say it is a "rock" album, not a "pop" album.

Rock pop (or pop rock or whatever) would be a good compromise, I suppose. They've certainly written some of the better pop music of the time, but damn that band could ROCK! I know it's not on Rumours, but I'm So Afraid is one of the most killer guitar solos I've ever heard. And all those beautiful harmonies sparkled through out Rumours!

senecadawg2

Quote from: Quadrochosis on September 05, 2011, 06:27:21 PM
Quote from: senecadawg2 on September 05, 2011, 06:18:35 PM
Another question I meant to ask, just how do you go about listening to this cd? It seems like the kind of cd that SHOULD be listened to a certain way for full effect.

Ahh, good question. For me Sigur Ros is a very "outside band". By that I mean that the music just sounds more right when its played loudly outdoors (like on an outdoor system or something). To me, the music just makes more sense when it has room (literally) to breathe. Some of my best moments with SR have been me playing the CDs in my backyard while I float around in the pool. I've found that listening to them with headphones just doesn't do it for me, and the larger the listening space is, the more I enjoy it.

Ahh, well thanks for everything (including your great list :))

jingle.boy

Quote from: bosk1 on September 06, 2011, 05:39:52 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on September 06, 2011, 05:26:13 PM
:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

But I would say it is a "rock" album, not a "pop" album.

Agreed.  Catchy melodies and lyrics don't mean it gets designated as 'pop'.  Frankly, this is Classic Rock at it's best.  Brilliant album.  One of only ten rock albums to have conceivably sold over 40 million copies.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Ħ

I've only heard "Go Your Own Way".  Due to Fleetwood Mac's popularity, I have instinctively written them off.  Time to reconsider.

jsem

Quote from: Ħ on September 07, 2011, 03:15:52 PM
Due to Fleetwood Mac's popularity, I have instinctively written them off.
Should never be a reason to write someone off. Rumors is amazing though.

Ravenheart

Ħ

Yeah, I know, but it's like....second nature to me.

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Ħ on September 07, 2011, 03:15:52 PM
Due to Fleetwood Mac's popularity, I have instinctively written them off. 

Oh Hayden, you're such a hipster. 

jsem

Ravenheart

zxlkho

5. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Putting this album at number 5 almost feels criminal to me because of how important it has been to me this past year, but there are 4 other albums that I feel mean a bit more to me. Anyway, this album has almost been like that friend that is there to listen to you when you are at your worst. Whenever I am feeling down (and I mean really down, not typical sad/emotionless self) I put this album on, and it does not make me feel better. Yes, it doesn't make me feel better, but it does do something for me. It's almost unexplainable, and the only real way to describe it is that it lets me know that its ok to feel miserable. It lets me know that life can be utter shit sometimes and that its not something that is only happening to me, but to everyone. I know I have been talking about this record like its a person, but that is really the only way I know how to describe it.

Favorite Songs: "re: Stacks", "For Emma", "The Wolves", "Skinng Love", "Flume"

ariich

Very nice album! Only heard it a couple of times, but it had a great atmosphere to it.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Perpetual Change

senecadawg2

My brother is sort of into Bon Iver, but I haven't heard too much of it. I'll give it a try.

zxlkho

4. The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North

Dear Hunter's best album comes in at number 4. Pretty crazy how much I've gotten into these guys considering I only started listening to them about 7 or 8 months ago. Anyway, the first Act is easily my favorite one for many reasons. It has the perfect blend of pop, rock, prog and everything else that I could ever really ask for in an album. It's also the most concise one, managing to perfectly fit all of the amazing elements of TDH into roughly 40 minutes. Also, the run from "1878" to "His Hands Matched His Tongue" is probably the greatest three song run ever.

Favorite tracks: "His Hands Matched His Tongue", "The Pimp and the Priest", "1878"

The King in Crimson

Gadough

Fell in another hooooooole for the knife, for the knife

Marvellous G

The writeup for For Emma is the most perfect writeup I've seen in any of these yet, it's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.

zxlkho

Quote from: Marvellous G on September 10, 2011, 05:34:49 PM
The writeup for For Emma is the most perfect writeup I've seen in any of these yet, it's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.

Zack says <3

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Gorille85

I'm guessing Deadwing + Devil and God are raging... are 2 of the next three picks.