Author Topic: Anvil! The Story of Anvil  (Read 786 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »
Did a search - found a thread on this but it was from 2009.

Just watched this rockumentary last night. I had never heard of Anvil before but I enjoyed the movie. Also came away with some odd feelings.

Lip is definitely the heart of the band (at least from the movies perspective), yet he also appears to be part of the bands problem. He doesn't seem to have grown up, still acts like a teenager.  If all of those prominent musicians respect and were inspired by Anvil, did any of them ever offer to help? After the movie, I felt overall sad for the guys. So much heart and passion.

They just released an album in May and have a compilation album you can pre-order. Looks like when you order it you can get a free fanny pack! hahaha Everytime I saw Lips with his fanny pack I laughed.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Anvil! The Story of Anvil
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
I thought it was an amazing rockumentary. Yea, Lips is beyond bi-polar. When something goes well, then life is the most beautiful perfect thing ever, if anything doesn't go perfectly, then screw everything life is piss.

I'm not sure if any of the drama was played up for the movie, but it seemed rather genuine..........and it made me also wonder how the band could have lasted as long as it did given their personalities and lack of success.

And you bring up a good point about the other famous musicians interviewed, I don't think a single one of them did or was going to do anything in the least to help the band. That said, I doubt the band knew they were interviewed at the time, and thus never asked them for any help.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
I know right after the movie was released AC/DC took them on a stadium tour here in the states as the opening band, which sure as hell beats playing dive bars and clubs like in the documentary
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I saw them live on a festival here in Sweden before I even heard of the documentary. I thought they sucked and were quite ridicolous.

However, after seeing the documentary, I have the utmost respect for them. I will never like their work but man...that passion is something you just gotta respect.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
Brilliant documentary, one of the best I've ever seen regardless of the subject. The fact is, the vast majority of bands that we listen to live lives like this-working another job, playing shitty gigs, busting their asses just to get their next CD released.  This movie showed that in brutal detail. It doesn't even shy away from the notion that these guys are kind of fuck ups who just keep butting their heads against the idea of being rock stars. And the ending, where the Japanese gig is contrasted so brilliantly against the European show where hardly anyone showed up, is sheer brilliance. I'm not much of an Anvil fan-their early stuff is pretty good, give it that-but I love the hell out of the movie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.