Author Topic: Pizza in NYC  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Pizza in NYC
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
Okay, maybe not ALL of NYC, specifically Manhattan.  Mrs. Cozmo, her son, and I are going to be spending a greater part of the day wandering around Manhattan, since her son has never been.  We will be arriving at Ground Zero, and after some time there, will be heading up to the observation deck at the Empire State Building, then to the Toys 'R Us at Times Square.  I want to get a slice of New York pizza.  Anybody who's been there/lives there and tried NY pizza, give me the low down.  I'd say it should ideally be between 59th Street and Ground Zero.  It's going to be a busy day for us, especially not being familiar with things and probably having to get taxis here or there.  Of note, I've been told already that Joe's on Carmine St and Lombardi's on Spring St are excellent places to go.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Pizza in NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:50:38 AM »
Dominici's Pizza

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
Having just returned from a similar trip.
Might I suggest Top-Of-The-Rock instead of Empire. Cheaper, shorter lines, and the view is the same. While at Ground Zero, go into the American Express building/plaza it's very cool and has a touching memorial to the employees they lost in 9/11

I didn't eat any pizza while there though.
Sorry can't help with that part.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
Having just returned from a similar trip.
Might I suggest Top-Of-The-Rock instead of Empire. Cheaper, shorter lines, and the view is the same. While at Ground Zero, go into the American Express building/plaza it's very cool and has a touching memorial to the employees they lost in 9/11

I didn't eat any pizza while there though.
Sorry can't help with that part.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. Also, on top of the rock, you get a great view of Central Park as well as the Empire State building itself. However, the 102nd floor of the ESB is a different story.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:14:35 AM by Chino »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »
It's also considerably pricier to do the 102nd floor. May look into the TOTR.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
Go to Pala for something a bit different than the pizza you can get on every corner. On the intersection between Houston and Allen streets.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
No, no, no......

Since you're doing the tourist thing, ride on over to Little Italy and have the real deal; Lombardi's- 32 Spring Street. Since like 1890 something. Lombardi's was the FIRST pizza place in the United States. It's been long rated as one of the best pizza's in the world. But beyond taste, go home with photo's and the like and tell your friends you ate at the FIRST pizzeria in the U.S. When I was in law school, I knew a girl whose dad or uncle or some-such worked there for like 40 years or something. So a bunch of us would take the #6 or #8 or whatever the hell it was and head over there about once a week. The crust is really awesome, and it's as "original" as it gets.  :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
Go to Pala for something a bit different than the pizza you can get on every corner. On the intersection between Houston and Allen streets.

That is an awesome coincidence.  Next time put the streets in their proper Knick order.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
Also, at the bottom of the The Top of the Rock or...in Rockefeller plaza is LEGO World, and Nintendo World. Not to be missed according to my 8 year old.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »
No, no, no......

Since you're doing the tourist thing, ride on over to Little Italy and have the real deal; Lombardi's- 32 Spring Street. Since like 1890 something. Lombardi's was the FIRST pizza place in the United States. It's been long rated as one of the best pizza's in the world. But beyond taste, go home with photo's and the like and tell your friends you ate at the FIRST pizzeria in the U.S. When I was in law school, I knew a girl whose dad or uncle or some-such worked there for like 40 years or something. So a bunch of us would take the #6 or #8 or whatever the hell it was and head over there about once a week. The crust is really awesome, and it's as "original" as it gets.  :metal

Agreed.  Lombardi's is pretty awesome.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
When I was in Manhattan with a few peeps from DTF we went to John's Pizzeria on 44th Street between 7th and 8th avenue. It was easily the best pizza I've eaten in my entire life.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
my boy had the "za" in Yankee stadium and said it was pretty good.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
Also, at the bottom of the The Top of the Rock or...in Rockefeller plaza is LEGO World, and Nintendo World. Not to be missed according to my 8 year old.

The hell! I was ere last week. I saw the nintendo place, how did I miss Lego world!!

Offline dongringo

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
If your day is going to be really busy, then I suggest just stopping into any hole in the wall pizza joint on your way from point A to point B. They are all pretty much the same. If you really need THE BEST then Lombardi's or Dominici's will do you.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )