Author Topic: Credit cards?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Credit cards?
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
There are so many different plans and like cards and what not ;o;

This picture brought to you by the witches from Stardust.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
Honestly, this all makes it sound to me like the credit card companies have a scheme to force everyone to use their services.  

This is definitely true, but there's really no other way to do it.

Also you'll NEVER save up enough to buy a house without a mortgage. (until you retire)
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
So your going to save up for 30 years in order to be able to buy a house up front on top of paying rent at wherever you currently live?

I get to inherit my grandparents' house when they croak, and they also intend to pay off debts I end up with after college, and provide me with much of their money to save in my bank account. 

Aside from my dad, I'm their only heir. 

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »
Honestly, this all makes it sound to me like the credit card companies have a scheme to force everyone to use their services. 

Also,

I know I'm going to come off as an asshole, but if you don't understand the point of using a credit card smartly then I highly doubt you're going to possess enough cold hard cash at one point to buy a house straight up.

It's called saving your money in a bank account, as opposed to spending it on unnecessary luxuries.  It's not a sin to be cheap.

I don't know where you live but around where i live you can't touch a house for less than 300k. It's not like I live in the hamptons either. A small house is 300k. So if you want a big house it's at least 500k. I don't know maybe you can save 500k before buying a house, if so i wish i was you!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
So your going to save up for 30 years in order to be able to buy a house up front on top of paying rent at wherever you currently live?

I get to inherit my grandparents' house when they croak.

:omg:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »

I get to inherit my grandparents' house when they croak, and they also intend to pay off debts I end up with after college, and provide me with much of their money to save in my bank account. 

Well, most people don't have that luxury.  Most of us have to earn our keep, not rely on people dying (except for Nick, but that's a totally different situation).  Also, what if you want - or have - to move?  Then what?

The problem with being a teenager is you think you have everything figured out, and about 6 years later you realize you don't know shit (and we were all the same way).

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Fucking Teenagers...

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

Well, most people don't have that luxury.  Most of us have to earn our keep, not rely on people dying (except for Nick, but that's a totally different situation).  Also, what if you want - or have - to move?  Then what?

The problem with being a teenager is you think you have everything figured out, and about 6 years later you realize you don't know shit (and we were all the same way).

I'm going to be going to college from 2013-2021, so I'll be living on campus for those 8 years.

After that, I'll be perfectly fine living with my family for as long as necessisary, or will live in a very cheap apartment with the assistance of my family's aid, if working doesn't give me enough money, and probably at least 1 roommate to reduce the amount I need to pay. 

And yes, tj; I am a miracle. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
You don't want to live on campus for four years...let alone through grad school.  Most schools don't have graduate housing except for the disabled and first year international students.

Also, living on campus past your sophomore year is a guaranteed way to have no social life or dating life.  Again, you're speaking about things you have no idea about.  Just wait...three years from now you're going say, "Holy shit, DTVT was right!"

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
Dating and social life?  I've lived 16 1/2 years as of yesterday without either.  I can survive another 10. 

That thing about most colleges not offering any accessible graduate housing sounds like I'll simply live at home during graduate school, which is no real problem. 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
Dude.... you'll change your mind by the time you get to college.

Living on campus BLOWS.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
Dating and social life?  I've lived 16 1/2 years as of yesterday without either.  I can survive another 10.   

Why would you want to?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
Seriously life is short.  Another 10 years with no social life? That's just robbing yourself out of life experience. You only have so much of it. Especially when you are young.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
I'm not good at socially-interacting and don't enjoy it much.

It feels awkward and overall, rather horrendous, as I don't relate to my peers and they have no need to have anything to do with me, they all relate to one another good and swell.  I don't really like, spend time, with other kids outside of school  No need for me to be wasting their space or my time trying to fail at conversing and interacting with them, really, when I can be getting my homework finished before I go home, or staying at home studying, therefore, bettering myself.  Like, for real, I related better with my assistant band director, English teacher, and history teacher last school year than I did to any of my peers. 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
I don't mean to be a dick...

but I really feel sorry for you if you don't even want to try.
I AM A GUY

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
But when you get to college you'll find people to get alone with because there are so many types of people.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »
you don't even want to try.

I want to do well enough in school now to get into a school so that I can get a really good musical education and become a better musician than I am, and probably get a solid job as a music director at a school.  If you want, I'll try to make a couple friends this school year, as I'll probably meet similar-minded people by being in the jazz band, I bet. 

But when you get to college you'll find people to get alone with because there are so many types of people.

I believe you, probably.  Though, I don't get how staying in the dorms after freshman year would result in me having no social life.  Explanation?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
Living in the dorm is like sitting in the front seat of the bus.  It's not as much fun, you can't do as much, and they both broadcast to the world, "I'm boring as FUCK."

Yet another thread derailed by Mr. Must Post In Every Thread.   :\

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
Living in the dorm is like sitting in the front seat of the bus.  It's not as much fun, you can't do as much, and they both broadcast to the world, "I'm boring as FUCK."

Yet another thread derailed by Mr. Must Post In Every Thread.   :\

A: I read college humor, and according to them, lots of weird and interesting things happen there, but then again, they seem to recycle the same exact jokes every year and don't update enough, so they're probably not that credible a source.  Not close, compared to Cracked.

B: You're giving me ideas...

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
I'm a credible source.

Dorms are not fun if you even remotely care about your education.
I AM A GUY

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »
Nothing replaces the college experience.  Nothing.

At some point you need to learn how to live on your own.  College is that time.  Living in a dorm prepares you for very little other than the need to wear flip-flops to the shower when you live in a communal setting.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Please elaborate.  I do not know anyone IRL who has been in college, aside from my grandparents, who haven't been in college for close to 50 years.  Also, my parents, but they didn't care too much about their college educations, if their getting married, having me, and subsequent dropping out were any indication. 

Though I give off the impression of being an insufferable know-it-all who's overly stubborn and full of myself, I honestly don't know shit about college.  Or many things in the real world, to be honest.  And the credit card debate, as well, as the debate has shown.  My grandparents haven't taught me jack about the real world! 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Well first of all, no matter who is on your hall, no one goes to sleep before about 3 in the morning. Even if you have 8am classes.

Second the room is very small. You most likely will have space issues with your roommate at some point.

Third, it's EXTREMELY overpriced. I'm living off campus this year and saving about 500 bucks a semester from not paying for a housing/meal plan.

That's just my opinion on the matter though. DTVT probably has more to tell you from experience.
I AM A GUY

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
I made a new thread for this.

Time to get back to credit cards.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
Back on topic. I'm thinking about getting a credit card.
I AM A GUY

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »

That thing about most colleges not offering any accessible graduate housing sounds like I'll simply live at home during graduate school, which is no real problem. 

Holy crap, I used to think just like this at 16 or 17. Luckily I found friends and life is good.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
Oh, I also maxed out thousands of dollars in credit and spent years paying it off (I was dumb as a 20-year-old, for real). Luckily it's all paid off now, just got some other loose ends to tie up and my car will be paid off in November and I will have a clean slate!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
I don't use credit cards.  I cringe at the prospect of going into more debt than I'm already in.

(I'm resisting the urge to go Dave Ramsey on this thread  :P )
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
I don't use credit cards.  I cringe at the prospect of going into more debt than I'm already in.
Is it really that hard to understand "credit card" does not equal "going into debt"?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
Yup. I have a feeling that carrying a card with a $3,000 balance on it (which I have payed every month) is going to help me get a lone one day.

Even though I shudder to think about how much I've paid in interest!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
I don't use credit cards.  I cringe at the prospect of going into more debt than I'm already in.
Is it really that hard to understand "credit card" does not equal "going into debt"?

No it's not.  I understand how credit cards work.  I just choose not to use them.  I'd rather not take the chance of not being able to make a payment once.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
Back on topic. I'm thinking about getting a credit card.

Getting a credit card and using it responsibly early is a great way to learn personal finance, and a good way to start working on your credit.  It allowed me to buy a new house and new car before the age of 27 while in grad school.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
i currently only have 700 dollars of debt. Well if you don't count auto loans. But my car loan will be paid off within a year. YES!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I use my credit card as often as possible, but I never spend more money than I have in the bank. That way I pay it all off immediately and end up with good credit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Even as an insufferable 18 year old I understand that having good credit in this day and age is important.  I would rather just spend money up front through actual cash or debit, but as others have said, it would be nice to get that loan some day.