Author Topic: Chef Rant...  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Ryzee

Re: Chef Rant...
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »
That brings me to another thing that I've always wondered, and this is half joke-rant but half serious question also:  why is cow meat "beef" or pig meat "pork" but chicken meat is just "chicken" and fish meat is just "fish."  I thought of this after taking my son to the aquarium one day then serving him salmon for dinner.  It was like "oooh all the pretty fishes!" and then "now your'e eating one!"  Why do we refer to some animal meat we eat by the animal's name and some we don't?  These are the important questions of life.

It's more or less an accident of the English language.  The words for beef and pork and anglicized versions of the French words for cow and pig.  Durign the period after the Normans were running things and French became the...lingua franca, some French words were adapted into English, and for things like beef and pork, since French were viewed as more "sophisticated," the French words became used to refer to the cuisine, and the English words became more the everyday words for the animals themselves. 

Wow that was fast!  First all the info on the crying Rancor keeper and now this.  DTF really does know everything.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
It's more or less an accident of the English language.  The words for beef and pork and anglicized versions of the French words for cow and pig.  Durign the period after the Normans were running things and French became the...lingua franca, some French words were adapted into English, and for things like beef and pork, since French were viewed as more "sophisticated," the French words became used to refer to the cuisine, and the English words became more the everyday words for the animals themselves. 

Beat me to it!

I always found it fascinating that to make things sound more appealing or even just to make ourselves seem more intelligent, we use the French-Roman words instead of the Anglo Saxon-German words.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
I don't usually get confrontational on here, but in regards to the gluten free requests at your restaurants -- don't shit on something you know nothing about. I assure you, it's not a fad. Ask any Celiac/gluten intolerant how AWESOME it is to be afraid to eat out at almost any restaurant. Ask him how GREAT it is when he feels like he's inconveniencing his friends when it comes to food options and to not be able to eat things that everyone else enjoys.

The reason you see more and more people with the allergy or disease is due to greater awareness and diagnosis, not because it's 'cool.' I can't think of one cool thing about it. It fucking sucks.

tl;dr: Gordon Ramsay says, "fucking rubbish!"

Offline wammabe

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
I always make sure to order sweetbreads, but only from an animal that's been worked over for 10 days by former Republican Guardsmen, skinned alive, and left to slowly suffer it's final hours in a cage half it's own size.  

This alone turned your joke to instant gold for me :lol

give em a little kiss in the forehead

Good lord! How hard are you kissing it?!

Fixed, English is not my first language.  :sad:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:10 PM »
I don't usually get confrontational on here, but in regards to the gluten free requests at your restaurants -- don't shit on something you know nothing about. I assure you, it's not a fad. Ask any Celiac/gluten intolerant how AWESOME it is to be afraid to eat out at almost any restaurant. Ask him how GREAT it is when he feels like he's inconveniencing his friends when it comes to food options and to not be able to eat things that everyone else enjoys.

The reason you see more and more people with the allergy or disease is due to greater awareness and diagnosis, not because it's 'cool.' I can't think of one cool thing about it. It fucking sucks.

tl;dr: Gordon Ramsay says, "fucking rubbish!"

I apologize if I offended, and I do understand that many people do have serious gluten issues, and am more than happy to accomodate them.  I know your issues are of the serious type, and don't in any way want to make light of them.  There are fringe elements to the gluten issue, people who claim problems when they don't have them.  I have come across many in my restaurant.  They stand out because they have so little knowledge of what they can and can't eat, and are unaware of "hidden" glutens that would make someone with your condition very sick.  I even have a good friend who does it, and I give her crap about it.  Once again, I did not mean to offend, and am truly sorry.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »
No sweat, I know you're a good guy. So what, they just do it for fun, to inconvenience the chefs?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
Nah, they do it because they likely heard from someone/some source that gluten's unhealthy in some way and then decided to pose as being allergic to it so they'd get less of the hairy-eye look from service people when it comes time to order something that "absolutely has to be gluten-free."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
I believe that post was laced with sarcasm and a touch of ironic humor.

Damn straight. I'm poor as the next working girl :')

I hope so, because if it was serious, then I think that would of made ali the whitest person on the forum. 
In fairness, I am pretty white. Seriously, dark hair serves to make you look that bit more zombie like.

Back on topic: People, appreciate what you can eat. If you can eat it, eat it. As long as it doesn't pose a serious health risk like EMT's food does :')
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
I can't imagine how hard it is to not respond with "Do you mind asking me a question that actually relates to the quality and taste of the food instead of one that lightens your conscience a little?"

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
That brings me to another thing that I've always wondered, and this is half joke-rant but half serious question also:  why is cow meat "beef" or pig meat "pork" but chicken meat is just "chicken" and fish meat is just "fish."  I thought of this after taking my son to the aquarium one day then serving him salmon for dinner.  It was like "oooh all the pretty fishes!" and then "now your'e eating one!"  Why do we refer to some animal meat we eat by the animal's name and some we don't?  These are the important questions of life.

However the funny thing is that in French beef is bœuf but a cow is une vache.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline adameastment

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »
All abattoirs do is remove a humans need to hunt stuff. I'd happily hunt for a pig.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
Oh, 'an abattoir'.   I say, we are grand, aren't we?   'Oh, no more buttered scones for me, mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
Mr Wiggin:   Good morning, gentlemen. This is a twelve-storey block combining classical neo-Georgian features with the efficiency of modern techniques. The tenants arrive in the entrance hall here, and are carried along the corridor on a conveyor belt in extreme comfort and past murals depicting Mediterranean scenes, towards the rotating knives. The last twenty feet of the corridor are heavily soundproofed. The blood pours down these chutes and the mangled flesh slurps into these...

First City Gent:   Excuse me....

Mr Wiggin:   Hm?

First City Gent:   Did you say knives?

Mr Wiggin:   Rotating knives, yes.

Second City Gent: Are you proposing to slaughter our tenants?

Mr Wiggin:   Does that not fit in with your plans?

First City Gent:   No, it does not. We asked for a simple block of flats.

Mr Wiggin:   Oh, I see. I hadn't correctly divined your attitude towards your tenants. You see I mainly design slaughter houses. Yes, pity. Mind you, this is a real beaut. I mean, none of your blood caked on the walls and flesh flying out of the windows, inconveniencing the passers-by with this one. I mean, my life has been building up to this.

Second City Gent: Yes, and well done, but we want a block of flats.

Mr Wiggin:   May I ask you to reconsider. I mean, you wouldn't regret it. Think of the tourist trade.

First City Gent:   No, no, it's just that we wanted a block of flats, not an abattoir.

Mr Wiggin:   Yes, well, of course, this is just the sort blinkered philistine pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome, spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss about the struggling artist. (shouting) You excrement! You lousy hypocritical whining toadies with your lousy colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic handshakes! You wouldn't let me join, would you, you blackballing bastards. Well I wouldn't become a freemason now if you went down on your lousy, stinking, purulent knees and begged me!

Second City Gent: Well, we're sorry you feel like that but we, er, did want a block of flats. Nice though the abattoir is.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:12:25 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »
Oh, 'an abattoir'.   I say, we are grand, aren't we?   'Oh, no more buttered scones for me, mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'.
Pip pip cheerio

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
Shit, I didnt know the fancy term, I kust make dead animals taste good.