Author Topic: Tripoli taken over by rebels  (Read 1114 times)

Offline jsem

Tripoli taken over by rebels
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »
I'm watching this live on Al Jazeera right now, this is the end of the Gaddafi era.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Tripoli taken over by rebels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
Yeah,  looks like this stage is pretty much over.  What happens next will be damned interesting.  The last six months aside,  Moammar actually kept the tribes in line.  I'm concerned we might still see the wholesale slaughter that NATO was trying to prevent. 

Still,  looks like another fun night of watching al Jazeera. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
How do so many people over there possess assault rifles?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
Where are you guys watching Jazeera? just online right?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
Yeah. And when I can watch I get their Facebook updates and use the Jazeera App.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
I'm watching online from time to time.  Honestly,  they get quite repetitive after not too long. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
I'm watching online from time to time.  Honestly,  they get quite repetitive after not too long. 

They as in Al Jazeera or they as in the media?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »

They as in Al Jazeera or they as in the media?
Since I don't have any source of television at the moment, I can only comment on AJ which I watch online when there's big doings in the Middle East.  Their streaming version only has less than 30 minutes of content when it's in live, breaking news mode.  Until they get new reports, they'll cycle through the old ones about every 20 minutes.  Also,  their "live" video form the celebrations seemed to be about 5 minutes of jubilation looping indefinitely. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »
It will be a tough road to transform Libya into anything resembling a democratic country. From what I understand, Ghaddafi managed to completely disassemble ay kind of civil institutions. It'll be tough to keep them from just descending into tribal wars.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:51 AM »
They actually seem to be talking pretty sincerely about reconciliation.  The rebels are already talking about the need to work with people who supported Moammar.  Tribalism is probably a bigger concern. What Ghaddafi did was unite a bunch of tribes with hundreds of years of animosity.  Remember Lawrence of Arabia? 

It's looking like the battle for Bab al-Aziziya will be the 9th inning.  I'm hoping we get some good footage of it.  The media holes up in a hotel pretty close by.  With a little luck they'll get some good video.
E.F. Benson