Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75629 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: TesseracT
« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
Ok, these came out really good, combination of my new S8, a perfect seat dead center elevated ten feet above the pit, with a rail to keep the hand steady while I rocked the fuck out. Goddam these guys are amazing...

Concealing Fate Pt 2,3 - https://youtu.be/9LyK-y1WSP8

Pheonix - https://youtu.be/Tc4IsEJA_h8

Offline Lethean

« Reply #526 on: May 19, 2018, 11:38:15 PM »
Tesseract pretty much just destroyed Chicago. What an incredible, intense show.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #527 on: May 20, 2018, 01:00:46 AM »
I think they do that to every city they visit.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #528 on: May 20, 2018, 03:25:13 AM »
Tesseract pretty much just destroyed Chicago. What an incredible, intense show.

Yes. It was an excellent show.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #529 on: May 20, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
My two complaints are that I wanted more from Sonder, and they should have played a little longer.  Had they done the latter, they would have had plenty of time for the former.  Maybe they were afraid the album was too new, especially when they started the tour.  Hopefully next time around they'll throw in a few more.

Other than that, terrific show.  Great sound, great stage presence, really intense, Daniel Tompkins sounded very strong.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #530 on: May 20, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
For sure, I agree with everything you said. Excellent show!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2018, 08:43:09 AM »
My only complaint was that they didn't finish Of Matter. I mean, c'mon man, it's three more minutes for one of the most epic finishes I've ever seen live.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:11 AM »
My only complaint was that they didn't finish Of Matter. I mean, c'mon man, it's three more minutes for one of the most epic finishes I've ever seen live.

I know, right? That’s how I felt when I saw DT and they did Erotomania, Voices, but not TSM. It’s only 3 more minutes! Lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: November 06, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
Here's the first-ever music video from ex-Tesseract vocalist Ashe O'Hara's band Voices from the Fuselage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Z83SjhICQ&fbclid=IwAR0KBtmVvw-IlVHzv0gyiJAmCA1D2lWNYZsaGlEMfjFXrNqNZC0NGy-9l58

New album out Nov. 9.  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #534 on: November 06, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »
I never understood why people generally find simple band performance oriented music videos to be cringy, but personally wjen I saw that VftF video this morning I thought it was the cringiest music video ever. :lol

The music is ok, but never been a huge fan of Ashe's vocals in general. He is perfect on the song Meteorites, so basically when all the melodies complement his voice perfectly. I'll check out the album when it drops for sure though!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #535 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Tesseract has lost me, and Voices from the Fuselage just doesn't fill that gap. Like many, I noticed Tesseract with Altered State. To-date, that is still one of my favorite albums. I fell in love with it immediately, just how Ashe's voice really molded with what they wrote on that record.

My apologies to fans of Dan Tompkins, but while he is a good and diverse singer, he's not as soulful as Ashe, and I just don't connect as much with him. But, on the flip-side, while Voices from the Fuselage is OK, I just don't get the same vibe as I did from Tesseract's Altered State.

It is really disheartening. I am glad I got to see Tesseract on the Altered State tour in San Fran with Ashe. BUT...one of the guitarists was missing, and I was really let down that not only did they pipe in all his parts, a TON of Ashe's vocals are piped in, including lead lines, where he sang harmonies and background at times to his pre-recorded lead lines. It was really, really disappointing.

But NOTHING will ever take Altered State away. That record is pure gold. I need to get it on vinyl.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #536 on: November 08, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
VFTF is awesome. Meteorites is great, as is Anew.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline romdrums

« Reply #537 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
Tesseract has lost me, and Voices from the Fuselage just doesn't fill that gap. Like many, I noticed Tesseract with Altered State. To-date, that is still one of my favorite albums. I fell in love with it immediately, just how Ashe's voice really molded with what they wrote on that record.

My apologies to fans of Dan Tompkins, but while he is a good and diverse singer, he's not as soulful as Ashe, and I just don't connect as much with him. But, on the flip-side, while Voices from the Fuselage is OK, I just don't get the same vibe as I did from Tesseract's Altered State.

It is really disheartening. I am glad I got to see Tesseract on the Altered State tour in San Fran with Ashe. BUT...one of the guitarists was missing, and I was really let down that not only did they pipe in all his parts, a TON of Ashe's vocals are piped in, including lead lines, where he sang harmonies and background at times to his pre-recorded lead lines. It was really, really disappointing.

But NOTHING will ever take Altered State away. That record is pure gold. I need to get it on vinyl.

I discovered Tesseract on myspace back in the day, so I was kind of bummed when Dan Tompkins left after One.  I didn't really find Ashe's vocals to be that compelling, probably due to the ridiculous amounts of layering and to me I thought his vocals were too one dimensional and didn't mesh with what they were trying to achieve.  Then again, I also felt Dan Tompkins was a better fit in Skyharbor as well.  The more I listen to Tesseract, I find their music to be too narrowly focused and frankly, kind of boring.  Their song structures are frustrating and I just don't find Acle Kahney to be an effective songwriter.  I also find it frustrating that they rely so heavily on backing tracks in their live performances.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: November 09, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Listening to the new Voices from the Fuselage album at work, and it's really wonderful.  I'm very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it over the coming weeks.  At this point, I can definitely say that for me Voices from the Fuselage > Tesseract, which is shocking since just a few years ago I was obsessed with Tesseract.  I just hope this new album gets Voices from the Fuselage the recognition they deserve.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:29:07 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #539 on: November 09, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
Listening to the new Voices from the Fuselage album at work, and it's really wonderful.  I'm very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it over the coming weeks.  At this point, I can definitely say that for me Voices from the Fuselage > Tesseract, which is shocking since just a few years ago I was obsessed with Tesseract.  I just hope this new album gets Voices from the Fuselage the recognition they deserve.

Gonna check that out now. I loved Altered State mainly because of Ashe and his layered harmonies. Plus, the songs were all great. Didn't really get into Sonder. Voices From The Fuselage is like Ashe continuing what he did with Tesseract, I love the atmosphere, melody and heavy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »
I thought Sonder was great
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2018, 02:59:08 PM »
It's great, I just haven't played it all that much after hearing it. When I do though, It's a great listen.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »

Interesting. I've just finished my 1st spin on the new VOTF album and found it very underwhelming compared to the 1st one. I'll listen to it a few more times before final judgement. I also thought Sonder was amazing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:33:37 PM by goo-goo »

Offline krands85

« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Listening to the new Voices from the Fuselage album at work, and it's really wonderful.  I'm very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it over the coming weeks.
Yeah I listened to it for the first time earlier and really enjoyed it. It's only going to get better on repeated listens, so I'm looking forward to that.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
Listening to the new Voices from the Fuselage album at work, and it's really wonderful.  I'm very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it over the coming weeks.
Yeah I listened to it for the first time earlier and really enjoyed it. It's only going to get better on repeated listens, so I'm looking forward to that.

Album is really awesome. The last three song are a nice ending to the album, Destitute is my fave after one listen, though it may change.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: July 30, 2019, 06:52:45 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: April 04, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
Tesseract's Acle plays guitar and Jay plays drums ion Martin Grech's latest release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDNVz2PRRa0&t=313s

Grech makes some interesting music.  For those who don't know him, I recommend his song "Open Heart Zoo": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xja7UXSZmps

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: May 13, 2020, 10:38:32 AM »
TesseracT presents: Live in the Lockdown.

Recorded in 5 different locations, in 3 different countries, TesseracT presents the Sonder 'Live In The Lockdown' session.

Tune in on YouTube tomorrow at 9pm BST to watch with James in the chat.

Set a reminder here: https://youtu.be/H8bNzSr2zdw

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #548 on: May 13, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »
Thanks! I'll be there

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #549 on: May 13, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
awesome

Offline roa71

« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2021, 12:31:37 PM »
Check out my recent interview with Amos Williams about their new, live release, Portals.  He's a really nice guy and was easy to talk to.  Portals is a great retrospective of the band to date.  We talk a bit at the end about next steps for Tesseract as well.

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-amos-williams/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
They are a band that I heard relatively early on and liked, but didn't spend a ton of time with.  Saw them live supporting another band a few years later and my interest was piqued more, but it didn't go anywhere.  Found Skyharbor a few years after that and was blown away.  Then just last year on a whim I revisited them and they bowled me over this time.  Now they've been one of my most heavily listened artists of the past year and I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention sooner.  Tompkins especially has such a wealth of side projects to delve into, and every single one of them is worth checking out. 

Offline roa71

« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »
Similar story with me.  Just think they fit the mold of progressive metal about as much as anyone.  Like I mentioned to Amos.  The first album was aggressive.  Second was very progressive.  Polaris was more progressive pop and Sonder was like an amalgamation of all the previous albums.

I think they are one of the most innovative and distinctive bands out there.  But, based on Amos, it sounds like we are at least a year or so from a new album due to the inability to tour.  Until then, we have Portals, which is absolutely stunning from a video and audio perspective.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #553 on: August 28, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
I was just rewatching this video, and don't know if everyone has seen it (search doesn't seem to recognize it), but it has to be one of the most incredible vocal and guitar duets I've watched. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWb1he1TS4

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #554 on: November 09, 2021, 06:34:58 AM »
Soo...

I have known about this band for quite a while now (actually 2011, when One was the recommendation of the month on a German prog review site I surf on daily). But it wasn't before last March or so that I checked them out. Back then I couldn't deal with any harsh vocals. It took getting into earlier Opeth stuff to learn to appreciate non-clean vocals. So last spring I actively decided that I'd have to check this band out because many people who have a similar taste in music as me listen to them too.

It wasn't instant love like Haken, but I knew if I keep listening to their music, I would start "getting" and eventually loving it. I am now on my "second wave" and I am starting to absolutely adore this band! I am trying to approach them step by step, by really getting to know one album before moving one to the next one. I already listened to One quite a bit in March and also during the last 2 weeks. A week ago I checked out Alternate State. A lot softer (and unfortunately without the awesome Danny Tompkins, although Ashe is doing a great job too), but still awesome.

I love the approach that every instrument is equally important. And that there are NO solos at all. Haken has been taking a similar way on V/Vi, though not as consequent. And now that I think about it, I am totally falling in love with this Djent-side of the genre and I feel like this is where modern Progressive Metal is heading towards and should be heading towards to. I hear the difference to DT in that DT was inspired by Rush, Maiden, Metallica and a lot of classic rock. Now TesseracT (and Haken and as I'm sure many other younger Prog Metal bands) draw inspiration from DT and create something new with this influence.

My last big discovery was Leprous, which I am completely in love with now. Not sure if it will develop in a similar direction with TesseracT, but right now I am absolutely amazed by them!

I can't wait to check out Polaris and Sonder!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »
I can't wait to check out Polaris and Sonder!

Prepare to be disappointed :'(

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »
Polaris was solid, Sonder was a step down.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2021, 12:01:09 PM »

I actually love them both. I prefer the last two albums than the early stuff. They are a heck of a band and a great bunch of guys. I have done the meet and greet with them like 2 or 3 times and they are very down to earth and amicable people.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #558 on: November 09, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »

Nah, opposite for me. The only problems I have with Sonder are that it's too short and it doesn't have much of an ending. I'd rank it next to Altered State because while Altered State has an amazing first half, Sonder is more consistent throughout.

Polaris is boring as hell. There's only like three songs from it I like.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #559 on: November 09, 2021, 04:27:29 PM »
I liked what they did with some Polaris songs released as the Errai Ep.