Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75526 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: TesseracT
« Reply #490 on: March 19, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »
Honestly, I think Dan did better work with Skyharbor.  It's too bad he couldn't make it work with them.

He probably could have. My guess is the Tesseract name, and increased $$ from them being able to tour more was a big lure.

Yep.  Can't blame Dan for doing what's best for his family.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: March 19, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »
I got into Tesseract with Altered State. I just can't get into Tompkins' stuff. I bought One, it was OK, and I didn't really like Polaris. It wasn't bad per se, but there is a quality to Ashe's voice that Tompkins just doesn't have. I haven't listened to the new song yet, but after being disappointed by Polaris, I am not sure I will.  :sad:

For me, it's more than just the voice.  Ashe also crafts better lyrics and better melodic vocal passages over the music he is given, in my opinion.  That's just my take in comparing Dan's work on One and Polaris to Ashe's work on Altered State and his new band Voices From the Fuselage.  That said, I totally get that some people prefer Dan over Ashe, and that's cool. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #492 on: March 19, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
Honestly, I think Dan did better work with Skyharbor.  It's too bad he couldn't make it work with them.

He probably could have. My guess is the Tesseract name, and increased $$ from them being able to tour more was a big lure.

Yep.  Can't blame Dan for doing what's best for his family.

Not at all. I think pretty much anyone would have done the same if in his shoes.

For me, it's more than just the voice.  Ashe also crafts better lyrics and better melodic vocal passages over the music he is given, in my opinion.  That's just my take in comparing Dan's work on One and Polaris to Ashe's work on Altered State and his new band Voices From the Fuselage.  That said, I totally get that some people prefer Dan over Ashe, and that's cool. 

Agreed on the lyrics and better melodies. Dan absolutely has earned his fans. He's got his own style, which I respect for sure. Just not as fond of it as I am Ashe's.  :tup
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: March 20, 2018, 03:17:07 AM »
Band posted video on their IG where were part of Smile. They have remade the song a lot heavier with screams and it sounded a lot better in the clip than the single.  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:28 AM »
The album version is also longer than the single version that we’ve heard. I hope they did some work on Smile because the single version is their weakest production yet. But the other songs released have sounded better so I’m hopeful.

But yeah, that clip was really cool.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
The Sonder album songs are great!  I’ve always loved Dans stuff, except for Tesseract.  Times a’ changing.  Hope he doesn’t over scream and keeps the screams ... ehh musical.   :biggrin:
Signature

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:14 AM »
I got the promo of Sonder yesterday. Listened once. Natural evolution from Polaris. A little less emphasis on djent too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:53 AM »
So the album is out. Having familiarized myself with it for a few days I’d say that most of it ranges from ’okay’ to ’pretty good’, but ’Beneath My Skin / Mirror Image’ is pretty damn wonderful.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #498 on: April 20, 2018, 03:49:10 AM »
First listen thoughts:

It's good. Nothing more, nothing less. Was really hyped after Smile and Luminary but the album doesn't really top those. The only exception being the new version of Smile, some vocal melodies took a bit of getting used to since I played the demo to death. Now, I consider Smile to be one of the most complete TesseracT songs (besides Altered State ofc) ever. Has everything I love about the band.

The 'epic, has plenty of good moments but lacks the dynamic I look for in songs of this length, some of those moments are definitely highlights though. Also I think it's a bit disappointing that we got 3 singles while the full album only has 7 tracks.

Haven't seen anyone mention The Arrow on the sites I check, but I think it's wonderful, might be my favourite TesseracT album closer, and considering I anticipated it to be like a 2 minute ambient outro this is even more rewarding
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #499 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:26 AM »
Haven't seen anyone mention The Arrow on the sites I check, but I think it's wonderful, might be my favourite TesseracT album closer, and considering I anticipated it to be like a 2 minute ambient outro this is even more rewarding

Best album closer?
But... Of Energy - Embers?  :'(

Anyhoo, this album feels like a mix between Altered State and One, which makes it pretty damn good in my book. I'm glad they went into a heavier direction after Polaris, which I wasn't a fan of. 
Why is it so damn short though? We basically got 20 minutes of music if you don't count the tracks that were released as singles.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #500 on: April 20, 2018, 07:23:55 AM »
I forgot this was coming out, I'll check this out today for sure.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #501 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
Yeah, The Arrow > Embers. It's not just album closers, but I've always felt that TesseracT albums aren't as good near the end as in the beginning/middle.

But even though I really like the album, Altered State is probably my least favourite of theirs. Ashe simply doesn't sound like as good of a good fit for the band as Daniel in my opinion
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »
But even though I really like the album, Altered State is probably my least favourite of theirs. Ashe simply doesn't sound like as good of a good fit for the band as Daniel in my opinion

We have the complete opposite opinion.  :lol Gotta love it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #503 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
First impression of the new record is generally positive, I'm not blown away, but I like what I hear.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: April 20, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »
First impression of the new record is generally positive, I'm not blown away, but I like what I hear.

I am going to listen again this morning. If it is good, will  buy the 2 CD edition.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #505 on: April 20, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
After a few listens, I can say that it has its moments, but it is way too short and Acle's songwriting is really starting to piss me off.  They need to learn how to arrange things to achieve a better emotional payoff.  They had it in their earlier material, but it's not there in their new material.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #506 on: April 20, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
I just finished my first listen, and I really like it a lot! King was probably the standout track for me, and Beneath My Skin/Mirror Image is good too. The only bad thing is its short length which bothers me. But I can’t wait to see them next month for sure!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
Glad I decided to re-listen. On my fourth spin today (it is short, 37 minutes). I really like it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
it sounds like a generic alternative metal band inserting random time signature changes into their music
i got like halfway through the long track and had felt absolutely nothing from the album up to that point so i just, stopped
this does not sound like a band on their fourth album

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
it sounds like a generic alternative metal band inserting random time signature changes into their music
i got like halfway through the long track and had felt absolutely nothing from the album up to that point so i just, stopped
this does not sound like a band on their fourth album

I wouldn't use the term "generic," because they are far from it. But I do think that it sounds like an alternative metal band using time changes to make things interesting. And I don't really find that as a turn-off.

I will always think Ashe is superior to Dan in every regard (and I respect them both). But I can't fault TesseracT for trying to broaden their audience a bit. 10 Years (another alt-metal band) did the same thing with their last record, How to live as ghosts. My guess is, both bands will get a little heavier again on the next record. But I find both releases (the new TesseracT and the newest 10 Years) to be pretty darn good.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2018, 04:41:20 AM »
Smile is much more :2metal: now. Damn I love that album version.

Juno's intro sounds really similar with Periphery's The Event.

Two spins yesterday in a long car drive and first impression was that it's now their best but definitely not their weakest album.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
Got a few spins under the belt, and while I am enjoying the album, it feels a notch below the rest of their output. There's a mailed in feel to it for me, as if they hurried through the process just to put something out there. It's not nearly as complete piece of awesomeness as One or Altered States, seems more like a Polaris light to me. Still cranking it loud as fuck though... :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »
Premature ranking:
1. King
2. Smile
3. Juno
4. The Arrow
5. Beneath My Skin / Mirror Image
6. Luminary
7. Orbital

Album ranking:
1. One
2. Altered State
3. Sonder
4. Polaris

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
I'm loving all the hooks and riffs. Seems like the album is a concept since there's some recurring themes on the album. My only complaint is the length. Maybe an extra song or two would have made it feel more complete.

Have you guys checked out the binaural mix?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2018, 08:07:48 AM »

Have you guys checked out the binaural mix?

Not yet. I likely will at some point in the evening this week.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
Very solid album, concise and powerful. Nowhere near the majesty of Altered State, but roughly on a par with Polaris, maybe slightly better.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
I think Sonder is a beautiful album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #517 on: April 24, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »
I wish Orbital were longer. Such a cool track

Offline Lethean

« Reply #518 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
I wish Orbital were longer. Such a cool track
Yes!!  I do too.  Just another minute or two....

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #519 on: April 30, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
Saw them last night in San Antonio. They totally blew the place off. Plini was the 2nd act and he kicked ass as well. Don't miss this tour. Tesseract's playing was tight and top notch.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #520 on: April 30, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »
I've been able to give it some more listens, and I'm definitely starting to come around on this record now.  The mix is probably their best yet, and I love the fact that Amos Williams' bass is given the space it deserves.  Although, it still bugs me that a guy who is responsible for a signficant amount of the shape of the album (Aidan O'Brien) isn't even in the band. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #521 on: April 30, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
Yeah I'm beginning to notice a trend with how I appreciate TesseracT albums. They seem to consistantly not blow me away initially, instead getting better and better over time.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #522 on: April 30, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
Same here guys, Sonder is growing on me big time. Starting to love it, especially King and Juno were big growers.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #523 on: April 30, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
Plini was the 2nd act and he kicked ass

Plini was awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »
Just left the show. Enjoyed both Astronoid and Plini, but they pale in comparison to the mighty Tesseract. Holy fuck were they solid, and the new songs take on a whole other level live. With a few shows from them under my belt I can confidently say that they are one of my favorite live bands.

I recorded some video that should be pretty tight, I'll post it tomorrow.