Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75672 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Re: TesseracT
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
I've given this album a week or so now, and I can firmly say this is my favourite tesseract album. I love Dan's performance so much. Hexes, Tourniquet, Survival, and Seven Names are my favourites so far, but this album has so many killer songs that its hard to choose a bad song. If I had to I'd say Messenger is the weakest in my opinion.

Side note, they asked me to go shoot their show in Calgary this November! I'm stoked as hell! I get to shoot for them, the contortionist, and Dan's old band Skyharbor!  :metal
May The Force Be With You.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #351 on: September 27, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »
My first episode of The Jammin Dude Show in almost a year, and my first new episode is dedicated to this amazing album!!

Anyone going to be at the Seattle show with The Contortionist??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyoYGcYOMYY
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »
I listened to the Concealing Fate EP back when it came out and that was the first time I had ever heard of this band. I didn't like it and never gave the band a second chance. Last week, a friend to.d me to listen to this new album so I did, not really exoecting a lot, since my first experience with them wasn't that noteoworthy. My reaction to this album was different than I could have expected. Holy shit, this stuff is so good!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
I can safely say that Polaris has become my favourite Tesseract album. Hexes, Tourniquet, Utopia, Messenger and Cages are simply too mindblowing.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #354 on: September 30, 2015, 07:43:32 PM »
So I watched Odyssey/Scala on YouTube today, and DAMN. I don't know what it is, but I finally figured out which vocalist I prefer for sure. Dan kills the Altered State stuff so well and it totally reminded me of how much I love the One album. Top that off with Polaris, my fanboyism for Dan is at max levels right now.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2015, 03:46:42 AM »
I'm really surprised people like Solaris so much. I've had it spinning in my car non-stop since it was released, and while it has definitely grown on me, I still don't think it's anywhere near Altered State. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome album.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2015, 04:00:49 AM »
Polaris is my first TesseracT experience, and I'm loving it, I've heard snippets of Altered State, so I can't really judge it yet, but from what I've heard I like the sound of Polaris better.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:08 AM »
Polaris is consistently good, while I don't enjoy the second half of Altered State that much (less sax pls).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »
While I do think the sax on Altered State is amazing, I also agree with jakepriest. The second half of Altered State does not match the quality of the first half. It also features two moments I actually dislike, which is very rare when it comes to TesseracT.

Polaris is clearly the better of the two for me, but One is still their best.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »
While I love Ashe's melodies, the "No, don't. Give me your hand, I can save you from the fall. Go, I'm in your shadow. Run until your feet are aching to the bone." is my least favourite part of Tesseract's discography and it's one of the main reasons the second half of Altered State suffers. The rest of the song is stellar, but this moment is so bad it drags it down a lot unfortunately, alteast compared to the awesomeness Of Matter and Of Mind is.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
Hmm, what don't you like about it? I think it kicks off the song really well, though granted the rest of the song is even better and one of my favourite things on the album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
I find the vocals incredibly annoying for some reason. It's the only Ashe vocal melody I outright dislike.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: October 11, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »
I don't mind that section. But Singularity does hold one of the two things I dislike, which is the entire "I see you looking back at me" verse that comes right after what you're talking about. It's fine to have repetitive vocals music, but the fact the riff behind also stays the same just makes the entire section really boring and they drag it out for way too long. And then they repeat the entire thing at the end. I don't quite get what they were thinking there. It's a shame really, because the entire middle part of the track is really cool, but because of those repetitive verses I barely ever listen to Singularity anymore.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #363 on: October 11, 2015, 02:36:15 AM »
I actually like the "I see you looking back at me" verse. I don't even find it that long. But it's really jarring when it comes back at the end, especially with the transition to Embers.
Calabi-Yau remains the weakest track by far on Altered State imo if I had to rank them, and why the hell not:

1. Of Mind - Nocturne
2. Of Matter - Retrospect
3. Of Matter - Proxy
4. Of Mind - Exile
5. Of Matter - Resist
6. Of Reality - Palingenesis
7. Of Energy - Embers
8. Of Energy - Singularity
9. Of Reality - Eclipse
10. Of Reality - Calabi-Yau

The "rap" section in Palingenesis (1:13 - 1:38)  is a part I've grown to love a lot lately, especially the ambient clean guitar work underneath the vocals is stellar.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: October 11, 2015, 03:08:01 AM »
01 - Exiled
02 - Retrospect
03 - Eclipse
04 - Proxy
05 - Singularity
06 - Nocturne
07 - Resist
08 - Palingenesis
09 - Embers
10 - Calabi-Yau

The "rap" section in Palingenesis (1:13 - 1:38)  is a part I've grown to love a lot lately, especially the ambient clean guitar work underneath the vocals is stellar.

That part is really cool, but the "chorus" that comes after is the one other thing in their discography I dislike. Again, too repetitive, and how he says "deserve" (or, DEserve) is just bad and makes me cringe every time.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #365 on: October 11, 2015, 03:49:12 AM »
I don't mind that section. But Singularity does hold one of the two things I dislike, which is the entire "I see you looking back at me" verse that comes right after what you're talking about. It's fine to have repetitive vocals music, but the fact the riff behind also stays the same just makes the entire section really boring and they drag it out for way too long. And then they repeat the entire thing at the end. I don't quite get what they were thinking there. It's a shame really, because the entire middle part of the track is really cool, but because of those repetitive verses I barely ever listen to Singularity anymore.
Wow, that's probably my single favourite section that Tesseract have done. :lol It's so insanely groovy.

Tastes, huh?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: October 11, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »
Yeah, it's not even just different, in this case it's completely opposite  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »
Exactly. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
Wow, yeah this really shows how we all have different tastes because I really like everything about Singularity.
I love Altered State but I do agree that the first half of the album is a lot stronger.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2015, 01:35:52 AM »
Maybe a TesseracT survivor soon, now that Polaris has been out for a while?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #370 on: October 15, 2015, 02:52:13 AM »
Maybe a TesseracT survivor soon, now that Polaris has been out for a while?

I'd totally be up for that.  :metal It'll give me a reason to listen to One either way.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
If there were some people who would take part, I could run the survivor once I finish with the Periphery one if there's nobody else to organize it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #372 on: October 20, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »
it'd be really hard for me to participate in a tesseract survivor, I don't listen to One much, I always listen to Altered State as an album and not separate songs, and I don't have Polaris yet  :lol (probably will get it in my end of the year haul, so)

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #373 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Altered State still ranks above Polaris for me. And is my top album by Tesseract overall. People gave a lot of hype for the Concealing Fate EP and then One. I gave CF a number of listens, I really wanted to like it, but it didn't jive with me totally. I think it was Dan's vocals. Then Altered State came out, and that immediately clicked. It's so good. I was kind of disappointed Ashe left so soon. I thought I'd only ever dig one Tesseract album. However, Dan's vocal style on Polaris is much more enjoyable for me. It might take a few more listens to entirely gel with me. It is a really good album. But Altered State ranks above all else for now.
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #374 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Ok, finally gave Polaris a few spins to get ready for their show next week's show. Hell of an album, Tourniquet and Phoenix are my early front runners. Show should be fucking epic with Skyharbor, Erra, and The Contortionist, and so glad to finally be catching tesseract after missing thelast few tours. 

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
Ok, finally gave Polaris a few spins to get ready for their show next week's show. Hell of an album, Tourniquet and Phoenix are my early front runners. Show should be fucking epic with Skyharbor, Erra, and The Contortionist, and so glad to finally be catching tesseract after missing thelast few tours.

I'm photographing their show on Saturday in Calgary! I'm WAAAAY to stoked to get a front row seat to this line up. Erra was great with Scale the Summit and Glass Cloud last summer. Skyharbor has me almost excited as Tesseract too. Ahh man I'm so excited!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2015, 11:35:13 PM »
Right? Just a beastly fucking lineup. Erra is a bit new to me, but after spinning them they seem sure to melt my face. Missed TesseracT the last time around only because Tool played on the same night. (Tool was on my bucket list, couldn't possibly miss them)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »

I was bored to freakin tears when I saw TesseracT in Austin when they came around for Altered State.  Like 5 bands before they went on that all sucked and TesseracT looked bored out of their minds up there once they came on.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #378 on: November 16, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »
Hey guys! So here's some photos of TesseracT's show the other day. The highlight of my career so far! I had to pinch myself during their set! Lol

Tesseract

Here's my favourite of the night from Dan.

Skyharbor

The Contortionist

ERRA

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: November 16, 2015, 08:40:16 PM »
Incredible pics! Thanks for sharing. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #380 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
And here I thought my pre-show boner couldn't get any harder.... C'mon Friday!!!!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #381 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »
Incredible pics! Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks man! I'm really proud of these photos! :D

And here I thought my pre-show boner couldn't get any harder.... C'mon Friday!!!!

Haha glad I could add to the excitement man! TesseracT slays live. They're so friggin tight and Dan is an insane frontman! Skyharbor is really quite good live too! The Contortionist blew my mind with some of their technical skill. It was nuts! ERRA are crazy good too! Probably the most different out of the 4, but great musicians in their own right! You'll have fun dude!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #382 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:19 AM »
I was cranking Erra while cooking today, those guys just rip shit up man, so intense. Definitaly pumped for the show.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #383 on: November 18, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
Yeah dude! Great guys too. they usually hang around the merch area after their set too if you want to chat with them for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:11:26 PM by YtseCullen »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #384 on: November 18, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
Nice, maybe I'll buy their disc there and get it scribed by the gang to add to my collection, definitely gonna score some shirts to add. Love obscure band shirts (my best being a local band called the Quart of Blood Technique :) )

It helps that the show is the first day of a nine day vacation for me as well.  :biggrin: