Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75698 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: TesseracT
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
The two singles from Polaris haven't blown me away, unfortunately.  I'm willing to give them time though.  So far, I'm enjoying all the songs on the Voices From the Fuselage album more than this Polaris material, but time will tell.  Tesseract is a talented band, and I'm eager to hear the album start to finish.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline adace

« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
Survival is really good. I like it a bit better than Messenger.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
New song is awesome, so looking forward to the album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
The two singles from Polaris haven't blown me away, unfortunately.  I'm willing to give them time though.  So far, I'm enjoying all the songs on the Voices From the Fuselage album more than this Polaris material, but time will tell.  Tesseract is a talented band, and I'm eager to hear the album start to finish.   

I'm listening to VftF right now... great stuff! I've also been listening to Skyharbor's new song, Out of Time, with their new singer Eric Emery. That's a killer song right there. Very Deftones/Karnivool-ish.

It'll be interesting to see how Voices from the Fuselage and Skyharbor are both affected from their connections to TesseracT overtime. All three bands are pretty fantastic.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »
The opening and closing tracks on VFtF's album are really good, as well as Meteorites, but the rest doesn't really interest me. And what I noticed on my first listen is that some of Ashe's high noted are a bit weakly delivered compared to what he did on Altered State.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #320 on: September 04, 2015, 07:23:05 AM »

I'm listening to VftF right now... great stuff! I've also been listening to Skyharbor's new song, Out of Time, with their new singer Eric Emery. That's a killer song right there. Very Deftones/Karnivool-ish.

It'll be interesting to see how Voices from the Fuselage and Skyharbor are both affected from their connections to TesseracT overtime. All three bands are pretty fantastic.

Agreed.
I immediately LOVED the new Skyharbor song. The previous albums are great but they took some time getting used to the melodies and stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: September 15, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 15, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
Oh, mama!  Let the listening begin!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »
Tourniquet is especially wonderful so far.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »
After a first listen, one thing is clear. This will be a difficult album to digest, but once I get more aquainted with the songs I think I'll love it. Tourniquet, Cages, and Seven Names are favorites at the moment, especially Tourniquet.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
I agree!  I can't really offer a thought yet until I spin it a bunch more times.  On my first listen I really liked the two songs that Acle said on FB he most liked: "Hexes" and "Cages."  The production is spot on too. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #326 on: September 15, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »
As someone who became a fan through Altered State, I just don't like the new/old singer's voice. Ashe's vocal lines are what made the band for me and I can't find such addicting vocals on the new album so far. Still only halfway through though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: September 15, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »
I've always liked Dan more. In fact, he is my favorite vocalist, like, ever. Not only for how he sounds, but for the melodies and he lyrics he writes.

Ashe is great too, and I was very relieved when they announced that he had joined, but having Dan back is just so great.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #328 on: September 15, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
gave this a listen. I kind of expected this but I'm not really feeling it. It probably has more to do with me not being too into djenty stuff these days, but also because TesseracT albums are huge growers (or at least Altered State was) but this seems to not even really have any hooks. I'll probably get it at some point though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2015, 02:09:14 PM »
I agree about there not being any apparent hooks straight away. I noticed that on the two singles as well. Like you said, TesseracT albums are mainly "growers". The up-side to that is that once it all sinks in it's amazing.

Tourniquet is already one of my favorite TesseracT tracks ever, and I think is among Dan's best work yet. I feel that it ended a bit unexpectedly though, so I've already made a 8:13 edit that I thinks works better.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
I'm currently in the honeymoon phase but man this is a GREAT album second listen in.
Not sure if anything off of it beats tracks like Resist, Exile and Singularity from Altered State though.

Time will tell, but so far it's the album of the year for me  :tup

Excellent production as well.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »
It's definitely a very consistent album and all tracks are great.

Early Rankings:
Seven Names
Utopia
Tourniquet
Hexes
Cages
Dystopia
Survival
Messenger
Phoenix

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
Super hard to rank this early, and it will most likely have changed within a few days, but this how I think I'd put them:

01 - Tourniquet
02 - Seven Names
03 - Hexes
04 - Cages
05 - Dystopia
06 - Messenger
07 - Survival
08 - Utopia
09 - Phoenix

Phoenix is a good Linkin Park song, but for TesseracT it's not quite as good as I'd expect. Utopia might move up once I've heard it more.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
This album is growing on me fast and big time!  Also, VIP tickets for the upcoming North American tour are just $50.  That includes a meet and greet.  Not a bad deal. 

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Super hard to rank this early, and it will most likely have changed within a few days, but this how I think I'd put them:

01 - Tourniquet
02 - Seven Names
03 - Hexes
04 - Cages
05 - Dystopia
06 - Messenger
07 - Survival
08 - Utopia
09 - Phoenix

Phoenix is a good Linkin Park song, but for TesseracT it's not quite as good as I'd expect. Utopia might move up once I've heard it more.

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought of Linkin Park during Phoenix.  :smiley:
There were a few other sections that had a Linkin Park vibe as well especially in Dan's vocals and some of the chord progressions.

Offline adace

« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2015, 03:20:55 AM »
This album. :hefdaddy

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
I love when they go all Rage Against the Machine at the end of Utopia  :metal :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
It's definitely an adjustment for me listening to Dan's vocals, as Altered State is my most-listened-to album of the past two years and Ashe's voice and lyrics over Tesseract's sound is ingrained in my brain.  But with each listen I find myself growing to like the new album more.  These guys can sure write some terrific music and have the potential to be one of the genre's next great bands for years to come. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
Dystopia is probably the track that improves the most with multiple listens. The first time I didn't quite get the melodies and everything that was going on, but now I think it's awesome.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
As someone who became a fan through Altered State, I just don't like the new/old singer's voice. Ashe's vocal lines are what made the band for me and I can't find such addicting vocals on the new album so far. Still only halfway through though.

Agreed completely. I don't like the vocals as much, and I like the vocal melodies even less. As far as the album as a whole, I'm not immediately grabbed like I was with Altered State. Not even close.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
I think I prefer Dan's voice to Ashe's, but I do agree that the vocal lines on Altered State are just mindblowingly good.

I'm loving Polaris so far, but yeah I don't think the vocal melodies are as consistently great as on AS, though there are still plenty of fantastic moments and it's still strides ahead of One in that regard.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:49 AM »
I disagree, I find Dan's melodies far more interesting and daring. Like I said, I think Ashe did a great job, but his melodies are not as interesting and some of them, along with a few phrasing things, are the cause of my least favorite moments on Altered State. In fact, the only two moments in TesseracT's discography I actually don't like are because of Ashe's melodies.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2015, 02:09:20 AM »
I've gotta say the album is starting to grow on me.

Hexes's chorus beats out even the "Burning bridges as I cower beneath" part off Retrospect that is my favourite moment on Altered State. The Linkin Park rap in the middle of the song is pretty weird though.
Don't get the hate for Phoenix. It's a pretty cool track and I like it way more than Survival and Messenger.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
Just stumbled across this video on YouTube from a couple months ago of Ashe singing Rhiana's "American Oxygen" somewhere at 2015 UK Tech Fest.  It's a crime to see such a wonderful singer performing to such a small crowd!  I hope he gets the audience he deserves one day, whatever the genre.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwJIU8PdZI 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
I quite like the vocal melodies on both Polaris and Altered State, but I will say that I think that the big difference is that Dan went in a more bare-basic vocal approach. There's harmonies and stuff, yeah, but Ashe did all sorts of stuff vocally on Altered State and he struggled big time in recreating that in a live setting. Dan will have it much easier in recreating his melodies on Polaris live, I think.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
I think they were more ambitious with song writing on Altered State. Polaris feels a bit samey in comparison in that regard. I am a big fan of both vocalists and love Dan's work here but the song writing (the music specifically) feels disjointed several times and sort of takes my focus from some of the great stuff he's doing vocally. Having said that....

Its quite a really, really good release overall.  :tup

My current song rankings:

Hexes
Dystopia
Survival
Utopia
Tourniquet
Cages
Seven Names
Phoenix
Messenger

Offline krands85

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
Only listened once so far, but I quite enjoyed what I heard - which is a bit unusual for me, since I'm usually 'meh' about most albums until I have a good few listens to digest. Hexes was an immediate standout for me.

As for the vocals, I'm firmly in the Ashe camp. I've nothing against Dan and he's obviously a great singer, but the vocals on Altered State are just so good, that I'll always have a 'what if' feeling with the band in regards to the singing.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jammindude

« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
Listening to the official YT stream right now....   Just add another album to the "holy crap" list. 

2015 is going to shape up to be one of the greatest years for music in my lifetime!!   I'm almost worn out from all the awesome sauce!!  I can't process all of it!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »
Listening to this album again today.   Just WOW.   This is like some kinda prog-funk hybrid.    I just freakin LOVE this album!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
I listened to it too.  I thought it was pretty killer.

Need to listen again, obviously, but a lot of music on my plate right now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.