Author Topic: TesseracT  (Read 75612 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: TesseracT
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
I don't really get why they have a video of an octopus/alien/thing boinking a hot model as the representation of that song?  :lol   I have to admit I can't understand a single word that's being sung.  But the music sounds pretty cool.  I guess I'll buy the album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I don't really get why they have a video of an octopus/alien/thing boinking a hot model as the representation of that song?  :lol   I have to admit I can't understand a single word that's being sung.  But the music sounds pretty cool.  I guess I'll buy the album.
I never care for music videos these days other than for the music but this I did watch.....2-3 times though. :blush

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
If you know what the album is about then some of the lyrics starts to make sense (duh). But really, "...Altered State represents the transformations that Tesseract has gone through over the past few years." If this is true, then there is some logic to some of the lyrics but other than that pretty much all of TesseracT's lyrics has always been very confusing to me. I really don't understand 90% of what's sung on Altered State but I still think TesseracT's lyrics are some of the best.

Also, does anyone know what Concealing Fate is about? I have no idea, but I have always felt like "the story" of the song is told backwards... or something.. I mean for one thing it starts with "Acceptance" (which has a strong "end of a song" vibe to it) and ends with "Origin".

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
Altered State is obvious what its about once you understand the concepts they present in the package. Which I really enjoy. It reminds me if Tool had intercourse with Messhugah, this is their time in bed. You've got the atmosphere of Tool mixed with The complexity of Meshuggah, which is beautiful.

Their concepts also are why I hear that. The Altered State of mind within us all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »
Um, fuck yes...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
Dude. Both of those are fucking amazing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
Still waiting for them to come anywhere near where I live..

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:48 AM »
I thought I might give Tesseract a chance. Do you recommend One or Altered State as a starting point? Thanks :smiley:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »
One.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2013, 01:31:02 AM »
Altered State is more original and also almost ambient. but One is more straight forward

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »
Just read about this band in the june issue of Prog.  I got curious and had to check them.  Listening to Altered State now.  Not bad!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
woah. just discovered these dudes about 3 hours ago. Altered State is breathtaking.. one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
woah. just discovered these dudes about 3 hours ago. Altered State is breathtaking.. one of the best albums I've heard in a very long time.

They are playing in brooklyn in october.  This is a must-see for now.  Gotta see this album live.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »

Yeah, just discovered them too! I wouldn't say it's one of the best albums ever but one of the albums of the year definitely!!

Nocturne has stucked in my head now!  :2metal:
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »

They are playing in brooklyn in october.  This is a must-see for now.  Gotta see this album live.

what?! let's go... I see they're playing Irving Plaza in the city on Sept 24... are they doing another show in brooklyn?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Yup, Sept. 24 they open for Kataonia in NYC, and Oct. 29 they play with Scale the Summit in Brooklyn!  I'll probably hit up the brooklyn show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
"Returning to Sphere Studios tomorrow to record and film a live surround sound version of, 'OF MATTER', for a future DVD. Hopefully doing the four different parts of 'Altered State', in four different studios."

Sweeeeet.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Official Music Video:

Tesseract - Calabi-Yau
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
^ That was glorious.  :lol

Online krands85

« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
 :lol :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
Actual music video of Nocturne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=get0cXOsSXg

Damn, Ashe is looking good with that beard.

Also the video was pretty cool.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:29 AM »
Decided to check these guys out because I saw that they're coming my way on the 17th.  I was blown away as soon as I started to listen to Proxy. Now I'm pissed that I have to work during the concert.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
Yep... Altered State is a masterpiece

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:43 PM »
They use saxophone? Why the hell not!  :lol
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
Checking out the album, I'm about halfway now, at the sax solo. It actually fits into the song. No desire to put this off anytime soon, it's almost chill out metal. The rythmic design is so incredibly tasteful, groovy the sounds percussive but yet smooth. Atmosphere. These guys are actually really good. I am loving the hell out of those 'soft-djent' parts. There's one now in 'Singularity'.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
Checking out the album, I'm about halfway now, at the sax solo. It actually fits into the song. No desire to put this off anytime soon, it's almost chill out metal. The rythmic design is so incredibly tasteful, groovy the sounds percussive but yet smooth. Atmosphere. These guys are actually really good. I am loving the hell out of those 'soft-djent' parts. There's one now in 'Singularity'.

I agree with the atmospheric part especially with this album being one song pretty much and at first you don't even notice you're actually on the next song and not the same one.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »
I agree with the atmospheric part especially with this album being one song pretty much and at first you don't even notice you're actually on the next song and not the same one.

That was one of the few disappointments of this album. Proxy-Retrospect-Resist all flow so beautifully into each other. Then as expected there was a break before Nocturne, and that's fine since it goes into Of Mind there. But then Nocturne doesn't at all connect to Exiled. And then Eclipse doesn't connect to Palingenesis, which in turn connects perfectly with Calabi-Yau. And then Of Energy flows fine too.

It felt a bit unfocused on the first few listens when I hadn't gotten used to the songs. I expected the four different movements to be like four long songs, which would have been awesome.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
Just bought my ticket for the Brooklyn show in 13 days.  Woo!

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »

That was one of the few disappointments of this album. Proxy-Retrospect-Resist all flow so beautifully into each other. Then as expected there was a break before Nocturne, and that's fine since it goes into Of Mind there. But then Nocturne doesn't at all connect to Exiled. And then Eclipse doesn't connect to Palingenesis, which in turn connects perfectly with Calabi-Yau. And then Of Energy flows fine too.

It felt a bit unfocused on the first few listens when I hadn't gotten used to the songs. I expected the four different movements to be like four long songs, which would have been awesome.
I actually get what you mean especially with the first few listens to the album and that some songs(especially Nocturne)really sound like standalone songs instead of part of a long song but I think it helps in not making the whole thing just flow with each other or else some of the songs wouldn't stand out as much as they should.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Altered State gets better and better with each listen. It's a pretty dynamic mix/master for a metal record, which makes it a joy to turn it up really loud. The heavy stuff sounds larger-than-life and the intricate ambient elements reveal themselves more. This is definitely one of the best polished metal productions I've ever heard. And when I think about it, I'm doubting how fitting the word 'metal' is for this. It's ten-ton heavy and gentle/light at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:32:44 PM by PixelDream »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Saw Tesseract on Wednesday Night and Drank some Hard Cider with them after the show that my Keyboardist bought for them. It was definitely an awesome time.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Been exploring some of Ashe O'Hara's projects before Tesseract.  Here's a paino tune that really grabbed me from his band Voices from the Fuselage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f1YLfhQnAY

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Tesseract live session at BBC 1:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m7zxw

Unfortunately there's no footage only audio but it sounds awesome though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
Yeah, sounds great. I keep getting reminded how happy I am with the choice they made with Ashe. Great voice.

Online krands85

« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:27 AM »
Tesseract got a mention in John Petrucci's top 10 albums of the year  :D :coolio

Link
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww