Author Topic: How do I math?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
How do I math?
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
I need to learn math. I dropped out in 9th grade when I was learning geometry and never learned trigonometry or calculus. I always breezed by the math I learned when I was in school with incredible ease but I now have virtually no reference point when trying to learn new things.

The last math I took was either pre-algebra or algebra 1 and had no problems with which ever one it was whatsoever. One snafu is that I somehow used to get away without showing my work because I could do it all in my head. One teacher called me out on it once and gave me a zero but I passionately protested and told her I'd gladly retake a new test she could make up on the spot and she had me come in and waste a lunch break one day. I smoked it like an Optimo for 100% and she looked like she'd just swallowed a turd covered in hair since I guess she was one of those vindictive types who thought "got another one."

All that aside, I've tried to take Pre-calculus twice at UNO during my time there and had to drop it both times for fear of needlessly hurting my GPA. What I wanna know is what websites are best to help get me from an 8th/9th grade math level to where I'm trying to get?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:37:39 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline tjanuranus

Re: How do I math?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I graduated high school in 99 with Algebra 2 as the highest math class. I started attending college this january and i placed into a pre calc class. I've honestly learned the most from youtube. You can learn almost ANY type of math on there. Right now i just leaned how to do sine and cos graphs from youtube. like... y= 3sin(2x-5/pi) etc.. But yeah i would maybe get an algebra II book and just go through each section using youtube as a teacher. And there are some great math experts on here that help me as well!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »
Thanks a lot man, I'll hit the library and see what they've got. I figure ol' James will waltz in here and layeth the smackdown whenever he sees this too lol.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
https://www.khanacademy.org/

Videos for every math level you'll need, as well as practice problems.  Highly recommended.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »
Much love broski, will check this out quite soon :tup

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »
Ok i had not done ANY math since 1998 and i went over these books. They are for individuals who want to teach themselves. They have every answer right next to the question. Which i found very helpful because i would cover one side up and do the question and immediately could see the answer and how the problem is done. I started with the basic book just for a refresher which is this one...

Elementary Algebra
https://www.hhpublishing.com/_books/_mathematics/_elem/index.html

Intermediate Algebra
https://www.hhpublishing.com/_books/_mathematics/_inter/index.html

Then i took the test and placed into pre caclulous. Bypassing any non credited courses. But they have a trig book as well which is a big part of pre calc which i wish i would have studied!

https://www.hhpublishing.com/_books/_mathematics/_trig/index.html

This along with the lessons on the website that was given to you would be a sure way to learn on your own.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:24 AM »

Videos for every math level you'll need, as well as practice problems.  Highly recommended.

immediately thought of this guy's site. Highly recommended.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »

I came into the thread to post this.  This guy is amazing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:28:50 AM »

I have to start studying for my GREs, and I suck at math.........bad, and of course haven't studied in like 9 years, so I book marked that page, thank you so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
Ok i've been struggling a bit today with trig graphing and i'm going through all his vids on that now. It's quite awesome and i wish my teacher actually taught like this.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
Well it's getting close to my bed time but I sincerely wanna thank all who contributed in here so far and will delve into this shit asap :heart :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »

Here's one guy who really saved me through Calculus 1 and Calc 2.

https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickJMT#p/u   (This is his youtube channel)

https://patrickjmt.com/   (This is his actual website)

I also do like KhanAcademy as well, but I found that Patrick JMT was giving examples closer to what I was doing homework wise and toward what was actually showing up on tests.

Good luck, hope this helps.

• DT.net Member

Please help real quick if you all can with this one. I'm helping a friend finish his review and he's gotta turn it in in the next 25 minutes online and this is the last question. The final sentence that got chopped off reads:

"Use integers or fractions for any numbers in the expression."

Thanks again everyone!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Multiply by

[6 - 2sqr(7)] / [6 - 2sqr(7)]
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

so the numerator becomes:

30 - 6sqr(7) - 10sqr(7) - 14 = 16 - 16sqr(7)

and the denominator becomes

36 - 28 = 8

Then you can simplify:

[16-16sqr(7)] / 8 = 2 - 2sqr(7)

• DT.net Member
Okay, so what is the answer exactly as I need to type it. Sorry for being so dumb by the way :facepalm:

Offline Ħ

*not correct*

Offline Ħ

wait no don't type that

• DT.net Member
Oh I already typed it as 2-27 but it lets you change your answer. I just have to have it done in the next ten minutes or so.

Offline Ħ

This is the right answer.  My work was wrong.

(11 - 4rad7) / 2

Offline Ħ

rad 7 means you take the square root of seven

Offline Ħ

you could also write it as

(11/2) - 2rad7

• DT.net Member
Shit! It marked me wrong for having brackets on the numerator.

It'll let me do an alternate problem but I have only 4 minutes. Here's the new one if you can please and thanks!

8-(square root of 6)/4+3(square root of 6)

Offline Ħ

-(25 - 14rad6) / 19

• DT.net Member
Thanks a bunch again man! Before I risk having to bother you again, I DO have to put brackets on the numerator this time right?

Offline Ħ

no.  put the negative sign outside the fraction, and don't use parentheses or brackets at all.

• DT.net Member
Okay cool. I'll try this and report back real quick.

• DT.net Member
Dammit! This thing's a real bitch. When I enter the numerator I express the radical by having it look like the square root of 6 with a 14 resting on top of the left arm of the square root symbol right?

Offline Ħ

Nope.  The 14 is adjacent to the square root, but not a part of it.  If you put a 14 above the leg of the root sign, that means fourteenth root (which is not correct).

• DT.net Member
Cool. Gonna try this again.

• DT.net Member
Just to make sure the numerator should read: 25, then a minus sign, then 14, then a square root symbol with a 6 in it?

Offline Ħ

Yes, the numerator is exactly that.

Remember to put a minus sign outside the entire fraction as well.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
Ħ, you fuckin rock man! Thanks for all the help. I'll buy ya some Big League Chew grape flavor or keep putting quarters in that fake rocket ride outside of Wal Mart for you until you're dizzy if we ever meet IRL.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
:tup

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:38 AM »
The thread title is amazing.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.