Author Topic: Melodic Death Metal  (Read 40446 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Melodic Death Metal
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
Insomnium will release a new album called Heart Like a Grave on October 4th. They also announced Jani Liimatainen (Cain's Offering, ex-Sonata Arctica) as a new member!

The band comments: ”In 2018 it became apparent that Ville could not combine the heavy touring anymore with his another career as a lecturer in York university. Hence, we decided that a third guitarist was needed to get the machinery running properly. We did not have to look far, since Jani Liimatainen had already been a live guitarist on several tours. And since this dude is amazing musician, vocalist, songwriter and all-round nice guy the decision was really a no-brainer. Now we are stronger than ever!”

Ville comments: “Since 2010 I’ve been combining touring and band life with my science career. However, couple of years ago it became clear that it has become impossible for me to put my 100% in both. This is partly because of more demanding role at the University of York but also because Insomnium has been growing steadily year by year leading to increasing amount of touring with every album. With Jani on board, we have secured a steady live line-up to keep delivering fierce live shows all around the world with me joining the band when time allows.”

Jani adds: “It is a great honour to join such an amazing band. I had already been touring with the guys on and off since 2015, filling in for Ville whenever needed, so when they asked me to officially join the band the answer was pretty much a no-brainer. I am looking forward to sharing many more metal moments with these guys who I am proud to call my friends.”
:metal Still spinning SotDS, such an awesome album!
Both that and Winter's Gate are amazing. Can't wait for the new one!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2019, 02:43:24 PM »
The full announcement:

In the news: New album HEART LIKE A GRAVE / Welcome JANI LIIMATAINEN as official fifth band member

On October 4th, 2019, Finnish melodic death metal masters INSOMNIUM are going to release their new album “HEART LIKE A GRAVE” via Century Media Records worldwide.

”The concept of the album is to delve deep into the heart of the Finnish melancholy. We’ve been inspired by some of the bleakest and saddest songs, poems and tales that truly capture the essence of northern gloom. Land where the frost ravages the harvest and creeps inside the souls, summer ends before it even starts, wife leaves, little brother dies in snow on a Christmas morning, and the golden days of youth are forever gone. So there are echoes of Harmaja, Rautavaara, Vainio, Peltoniemen Hintriikka and of course our own petty, miserable lives.” – INSOMNIUM.

Consisting of ten songs and over an hour of music HEART LIKE A GRAVE evolved to be an epic tour de force of Finnish melancholy. With four composers in the band the sound of Insomnium is now richer and more versatile than ever before. In the name of Nordic collaboration the Swedish wizard Jens Bogren has been doing the mixing and mastering and made HEART LIKE A GRAVE to the best sounding Insomnium album ever.

HEART LIKE A GRAVE tracklisting
1. Wail of the North
2. Valediction
3. Neverlast
4. Pale Morning Star
5. And Bells They Toll
6. The Offering
7. Mute Is My Sorrow
8. Twilight Trails
9. Heart Like a Grave
10. Karelia

Furthermore INSOMNIUM welcome new guitarist Jani Liimatainen to join the band.

The band comments: ”In 2018 it became apparent that Ville could not combine the heavy touring anymore with his another career as a lecturer in York university. Hence, we decided that a third guitarist was needed to get the machinery running properly. We did not have to look far, since Jani Liimatainen had already been a live guitarist on several tours. And since this dude is amazing musician, vocalist, songwriter and all-round nice guy the decision was really a no-brainer. Now we are stronger than ever!”

Ville comments: “Since 2010 I’ve been combining touring and band life with my science career. However, couple of years ago it became clear that it has become impossible for me to put my 100% in both. This is partly because of more demanding role at the University of York but also because Insomnium has been growing steadily year by year leading to increasing amount of touring with every album. With Jani on board, we have secured a steady live line-up to keep delivering fierce live shows all around the world with me joining the band when time allows.”

Jani adds: “It is a great honour to join such an amazing band. I had already been touring with the guys on and off since 2015, filling in for Ville whenever needed, so when they asked me to officially join the band the answer was pretty much a no-brainer. I am looking forward to sharing many more metal moments with these guys who I am proud to call my friends.”

So, great things are looming ahead! Rock on, friends!!!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
My boy Jani L making waves :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
Great band, Winter's Gate was excellent so looking forward to this.  Jani joining is a very nice surprise too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
Yeah great news for Jani L, but how is he going to juggle three bands?
Insomnium, Cain's Offering, The Dark Element, plus his acoustic thing with Timo Kotipelto and songwriting for Stratovarius?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Insomnium, Cain's Offering, The Dark Element, plus his acoustic thing with Timo Kotipelto and songwriting for Stratovarius?

His acoustic thing with Kotipelto seems to be an irregular sort of thing, almost like a weekend warrior type deal. Strato probably doesn't take up too much of his time, and CO seems to make a reappearance twice a decade, so in another 2 years we should be due for them. TDE I imagine doesn't take much touring time. I guess Insomnium will eat up most of his time now.

It does kind of suck because I was genuinely hoping if he would join another established band it would be Stratovarius... but oh well. At least this way I get to see him in a few weeks.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2019, 09:53:31 PM »
It does kind of suck because I was genuinely hoping if he would join another established band it would be Stratovarius... but oh well. At least this way I get to see him in a few weeks.  :biggrin:

I don't see this ever happening, or how it would ever happen.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »
Insomnium premiered Valediction at the John Smith Rock Festival last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQEgGdZLAA

Sounds pretty good. The album's runtime is over an hour with 10 tracks, so that must be one of the shortest at 5 minutes.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2019, 06:20:45 AM »

His acoustic thing with Kotipelto seems to be an irregular sort of thing, almost like a weekend warrior type deal. Strato probably doesn't take up too much of his time, and CO seems to make a reappearance twice a decade, so in another 2 years we should be due for them. TDE I imagine doesn't take much touring time. I guess Insomnium will eat up most of his time now.

You're right, he only mostly does songwriting for Strato. Recently Timo Tolkki wrote that Strato guys have asked him to write with them, and back then I theorized that maybe Jani is pulling out and leaving space for another writing partner to come in. I imagine the amount of his touring with Insomnium will remain about the same (they're already headliners on tours and can tour the US), and both CO and TDE are more festival bands than a regular touring band. I wish CO could become more of a touring band, but the rest of the guys will probably rather do the tour grind with Strato. So I'll settle for him writing and recording more albums with CO  :biggrin:

Side note, I hope he assists in writing and/or clean vocs for Insomnium.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:09:33 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2019, 06:12:23 AM »
Omnium Gatherum dropped a new single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj6Te-RoE0A

More of the same compared to The Burning Cold. Someone more inspired would make a better use of that outro riff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
Shame it's just a standalone single.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
Do we know that it is?

Sounded solid enough.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Do we know that it is?

Sounded solid enough.

Yeah.  It's a song from The Burning Cold sessions released as a two song EP with a Sepultura cover.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »
Anyone familiar with Netherbird? I literally just stumbled upon them today. Their latest ablum, Into The Vast Uncharted, is amazing! Apparently they have a handful of albums. I'm listening to the previous one, Hymns From Realms Yonder, it is also damned good.

They remind me of Tribulation but a bit more metal. Really liking this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2019, 05:16:23 AM »
Had a quick listen to the lead single Tim, pretty nice.  Good mix of black and death metal.  I can hear tge Tribulation you speak of too.  Will xheck the full album.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
Full stream of the new In Mourning album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmHQFGiwco

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #226 on: October 04, 2019, 07:30:42 AM »
Full stream of the new In Mourning album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRmHQFGiwco
You've only just turned me into a new fan, so I'll be exploring both the new and older albums once my roulette is finished.

In the meantime, I'm giving my first new Insomnium album as a fan a listen right now, and absolutely loving it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
So, Janne, Henkka and Jaska have left Children of Bodom.  Wowsers.  Hard to see the band continuing without them honestly.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
Woah, wtf. So that just leaves Alexi and the new guitarist. It'll be interesting to see if they try and carry on as Bodom or do a new project instead.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Woah, wtf. So that just leaves Alexi and the new guitarist. It'll be interesting to see if they try and carry on as Bodom or do a new project instead.

There's not even a real reason given.  It just wouldn't feel like Bodom without them IMO.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »
Hexed (the whole album) is hitting even harder than it used to in wake of this news :-\

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
That's really weird.  Janne Wirman's statement was just "it's time for me to end my career with COB," with zero elaboration on leaving the band. 

COB has always felt like the Alexi show to me, so I'm sure future albums will be similar. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »
Yeah strange decision for sure, but we don't know what's been going in within the band privately.
Seems like a big split between Alexi and the other 3, even more bizarre is that they've been together so long and now Alexi is sober and back writing strong material (Hexed) again.

Even more puzzling is why there is no dedicated Bodom thread on this forum?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2019, 12:56:24 PM »
Excerpts from a fresh interview with Alexi on Soundi, a Finnish music media (translated):

- There were talks already a year ago that the guys are tired of doing this. They've had kids and stuff, and after 23 years of touring it's no wonder if someone can't take it anymore. There's nothing dramatic about this or anything like that.

- I'm not quitting anything though. Dane (Daniel Freyberg) was also really bummed about this. I told him let's continue together with a new line-up and an old school attitude.

- There's gonna be the good old songs, good old live show and two more familiar faces. I'd love to tell you who the drummer and bass player will be, but I can't do that just yet. They're really talented and young dudes who look great on stage. We have two options for the keys, I need to check them out more closely.

It's unclear what name they will continue under because Alexi doesn't currently own the rights to the name Children of Bodom. He says it will strongly relate to CoB regardless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2019, 01:53:08 PM »
His attitude seems great so good luck to him.  I will still follow his output for sure.

And yeah, weird there's no Bodom thread.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »
New Mors Principium Est coming October 23.  They're one of the best things going right now, Gilliam is right up there with Petrucci for me.  He solo CD is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmsdPNGSQgg&list=RDSmsdPNGSQgg&start_radio=1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
New Mors Principium Est coming October 23.  They're one of the best things going right now, Gilliam is right up there with Petrucci for me.  He solo CD is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmsdPNGSQgg&list=RDSmsdPNGSQgg&start_radio=1

Such an awesome band.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »
The next Mors single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCHjpyIX94I

October 23 . . . :)

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #238 on: October 04, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2041070372693172

"The final emotional solo from the upcoming Mors Principium Est album, "Seven". I really channeled John Petrucci on this one and decided to listen to every Dream Theater album back to back in one sitting. 9 weeks later, I emerged from my room and recorded this."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »
Repentance - God For a Day   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=499v91v2vB8

I've really been digging this album - it just came out.  The band is from Chicago and features Soil's Shaun Glass, the guitarist from Them, and the singer from Stuck Mojo.  Musically, it's very much in the vein of The Haunted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2020, 04:08:32 AM »
This new Mors album is excellent.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
This new Mors album is excellent.
Sure is.  I think it's my favorite of theirs, which is saying something given how good the other three with Gillion are.  My Home, My Grave is still the track I like the most with this second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaEuZBhEpQ

but they're all really good.  The best thing about the album is that while it's great all the way through, my top run of three tracks are the last three so it ends very strong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2020, 01:16:28 PM »
It's bloody great. Better than the last one and on a par with the previous two.

Thanks again Kade for introducing me to them!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »
Nothing bad here.  My fav too might be My Home, My Grave also on first listen.  Not sure where it would rank yet, needs more listens.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
It's bloody great. Better than the last one and on a par with the previous two.

Thanks again Kade for introducing me to them!

No problem Rich.  :metal