Author Topic: Melodic Death Metal  (Read 40399 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Melodic Death Metal
« Reply #315 on: December 28, 2021, 02:14:35 AM »
Just spinning the new Omnium Gatherum after it got delivered this week and I must say, its bloody fantastic!
It is indeed rather excellent. I'd say their best since Beyond.

Agree.  Beyond actually came to mind a few times while listening to this.

I haven't gotten around to hearing it yet. Your comments are promising. I can't say I have a deep knowledge of OG's discography, but my favorite of what I know is probably New World Shadows, lots of cool songs and melodies in there. Very good band. I did enjoy The Burning Cold quite a bit, I'll try and give the latest a listen soon...

I tussle with Beyond or New World Shadows as their best album.  If you liked The Burning Cold, you'll like this one.  I found the Burning Cold a tad disappointing, yet still very solid.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2022, 05:20:46 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »
Very damn nice Mr Boom. When does the album come out?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »
Very damn nice Mr Boom. When does the album come out?
Not sure it's been revealed yet.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2022, 05:32:55 AM »
https://darkdivinity.co.nz/the-beast-awakens/

This is so cool. Dark Divinity had released a free to play RPG that allows you to unlock songs from their upcoming album as you play!

I don't even know the band but I'm going to give it a go as it sounds awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: September 01, 2022, 05:57:27 AM »
That's a cool concept.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: September 01, 2022, 04:23:44 PM »
Er...what's an RPG?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2022, 04:27:21 PM »
Role Playing Game, I assume.  Although if it's related to Call of Duty or something it might be an RPG about RPGs (rocket propelled grenades). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2022, 04:28:52 PM »
Role Playing Game, I assume.

:lol

Yeah, OK, I'll wait for the release. :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #324 on: September 02, 2022, 12:23:16 AM »
Er...what's an RPG?

Well done Tim, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 02, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #326 on: September 02, 2022, 12:28:03 AM »
I'm quietly taking 'fogey' notes

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: September 02, 2022, 12:31:58 AM »
I'm quietly taking 'fogey' notes

We have some of the best mentors around too.  ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
Fun video from The Halo Effect - their live rooftop concert:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYB7A8s5OtI

Here it is finally! Previously only available to Fanvault members and the people who came to see us in Stockholm and Gothenburg as we screened this in theatres. The Rooftop Show: https://youtu.be/LYB7A8s5OtI

The idea was to tie this band to our hometown and going down to the harbour and rocking out on a rooftop overlooking the city seemed like the perfect fit for us. The downside was of course that we had to do this in the freezing cold winter due to touring schedules getting in the way.

Strangely enough this was actually the first ever time we played these songs together and it was an absolute blast. We did a few takes just to get it right and in between we had to run inside, wrap ourselves in blankets and drink copious amounts of steaming hot coffee only to run out again and do it all over again.

We hope you guys enjoy this taste of what The Halo Effect live looks and feels like and we cannot wait to see you guys out on the road. View this on the biggest screen in the house and turn it all the way up! Cheers!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »
I'm confused. That's not the live sound correct? Is it just a glorified music video??

Online nick_z

« Reply #330 on: September 07, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »
I was kinda wondering the same thing...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: September 07, 2022, 11:28:19 AM »
I'd want my fanvault (whatever the F that is) money back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: September 07, 2022, 06:40:53 PM »
Fun video from The Halo Effect - their live rooftop concert:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYB7A8s5OtI

Here it is finally! Previously only available to Fanvault members and the people who came to see us in Stockholm and Gothenburg as we screened this in theatres. The Rooftop Show: https://youtu.be/LYB7A8s5OtI

The idea was to tie this band to our hometown and going down to the harbour and rocking out on a rooftop overlooking the city seemed like the perfect fit for us. The downside was of course that we had to do this in the freezing cold winter due to touring schedules getting in the way.

Strangely enough this was actually the first ever time we played these songs together and it was an absolute blast. We did a few takes just to get it right and in between we had to run inside, wrap ourselves in blankets and drink copious amounts of steaming hot coffee only to run out again and do it all over again.

We hope you guys enjoy this taste of what The Halo Effect live looks and feels like and we cannot wait to see you guys out on the road. View this on the biggest screen in the house and turn it all the way up! Cheers!

There are parts that definitely sound different to the album.  It's like they re-recorded them in the studio or something but are miming here.  There's parts though that sound exactly like the album.  The guitars are mixed in more of a live setting though with them panned left and right and parts of Mikael's vocals sound different.  This is strange.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #333 on: March 31, 2023, 11:50:07 AM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #334 on: March 31, 2023, 01:33:23 PM »
Pretty solid tune.  Per's solos are incredible as always, and I'm looking forward to what Ben can bring to the table, really underrated player.  Some surprisingly prominent bass work as well, did they start doing that more on the last few albums?  I haven't spent nearly as much time with those. 

Because a decade and a half later and I'm still definitely not over Alvestam leaving.  I just have to wonder if I'd have liked them more as a brand new band without the legacy of the unimpeachable Holographic Universe to live up to. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2023, 04:59:14 AM »
The new Scar Symmetry album is out today, some eight years since the last one and it's pretty solid.
But of course it's no match for Alvestam and THU.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »
Per's solos are amazing as always.  My opinion hasn't wavered at all on the vocals though.  Roberth's growls are really good, but Lars' cleans are just ok, nowhere near Christian's.  The closer title track is pretty badass, easily the standout on the first play. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2023, 07:59:25 PM »
I'm enjoying the clean vocals a lot more on this album than their others. The melodies are more in that same vein as older Scar Symmetry for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2023, 10:20:27 PM »
The new Rise To Fall is really good.  The vocals and guitar tone could be better, but there are tons of ripping riffs, harmonies, leads and such.  Kind of Soilwork-ish, and shocker, Speed even guests on a track. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfpTE2-LpE
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:28:02 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2023, 10:31:08 PM »
What's the cliff's notes on those roulettes?  I see them being posted in all the time, but I don't read them, and when I glance in it looks too confusing to spend more time trying to decipher. 

Haha, scrolled up a bit and caught this.  How cute.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2023, 06:04:53 PM »
The new Scar Symmetry album is out today, some eight years since the last one and it's pretty solid.
But of course it's no match for Alvestam and THU.

I cannot stop listening to the entire album, but especially the title track! It's sublime!