Author Topic: Melodic Death Metal  (Read 40333 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Melodic Death Metal
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2020, 06:13:21 AM »
Okay, if it has both the ariich and Wolfking seal of approval, I'd better give this a whirl.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
Okay, if it has both the ariich and Wolfking seal of approval, I'd better give this a whirl.

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
:2metal:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2020, 03:23:41 AM »
New single from Finnish MDM Frosttide
https://youtu.be/PJwC5qsJLcM

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2021, 03:39:45 PM »
New At the Gates;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNKxMkHavAw

Pretty damn good.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »
New At the Gates;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNKxMkHavAw

Pretty damn good.

Nice. Saw that on Spotify but haven't gotten round to it yet.

Currently listening to Chaos of Forms by Revocation (first time listening to the band). This is melodeath, but I always thought they were just straight up death metal (or maybe tech death) . Really digging it so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »
New single from Finnish MDM Frosttide
https://youtu.be/PJwC5qsJLcM

Oh, I'll have to check that out. I sampled them a few years ago, but the vocals were a bit tough. But I did use the instrumental version of Final Hour on a concept EP in a roulette...Puppies maybe??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2021, 02:45:40 PM »
Disappointing Facebook post from Mors Principium Est:

!!! STATUS UPDATE !!!
To all our incredible fans:
Andy Gillion is not a part of MORS PRINCIPIUM EST anymore.
I want to thank Andy for the great albums we did together and I wish him
the best of luck in the future.
But fear not. This is NOT the end.
Look for a BIG/GREAT announcement about MORS PRINCIPIUM EST, in the next
couple of days.
Until then.
Long live MORS PRINCIPIUM EST!

Interested in what each does but I really liked them together  :angry:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
Ah man, that sucks. They've been amazing under Gillion.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2021, 03:21:50 PM »
I thought that in the past several years, MPE was Gillion. Interesting.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »
I thought that in the past several years, MPE was Gillion. Interesting.

Yeah, for albums 4-7 he pretty much was the band IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2021, 03:50:49 PM »
Exactly.  Interesting to see what direction they take.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »
I guess it wasn't amicable.  From Andy's facebook:

It is with deep regret that I find myself writing this, but I will no longer be playing or writing music in Mors Principium Est. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every person who has supported us and listened to the music during my time in the band, those who came to a show, bought an album, picked up some merch, or just showed their support or appreciation in whatever way they felt they could. You were the reason I kept going through all the difficult times and it was a pleasure to serve you with music for almost ten years. I have never put as much effort or passion into anything in my life as I have with this band, right up until the end. However, unfortunately there are some things I cannot stay silent about anymore.
On 3rd August 2020, three months before the new album, “Seven”, was set to be released, I received a message from Ville saying, “you are not in MPE anymore.” I discovered that the record label had already been notified that I would be departing the band, without my knowledge, or consent. This was not a decision I was a part of and I certainly did not expect such an attempt to remove me from the band - just two weeks before the first single had even been released. After three years of hard work putting this album together, to have the joy of celebrating its release taken away from me as soon as I’d handed over my work, is a feeling I can’t begin to describe.
After a difficult number of years of writing the music, recording guitars, programming synths, bass and orchestration for the new album, I was alarmed to discover that only a small percentage of lyrics had been written - just one month before the album was to be sent off for mixing. Under the pressure of the looming album deadline, I felt I had no choice but to begin writing lyrics myself.
Days into the rush of writing lyrics, I was admitted to hospital, later diagnosed with a stress-related onset of hives. During my recovery, I was asked to write more lyrics. In order to salvage this project, the majority of the lyrics on this album (approx. 70%) were put together by myself in just a few weeks, sometimes submitted the same day the vocals were to be recorded.
Shortly after completing the new album, I began to notice signs of what I believed was a plot to remove me from the band. I was informed by one of my endorsement companies that they had been told to separate Mors Principium Est products from my own and keep them on separate web pages. When the endorser asked why, slanderous comments were made claiming that I don't care about the band, only about myself. Due to the nature of these accusations, the band was consequently dropped by the endorser. My personal endorsement, which I had been excited to share with the band, thankfully remained intact.
I soon noticed that I had lost access to the band’s Spotify account. This was particularly concerning, given that I had written the music for the band for many years and was now being stripped of the right to view significant streaming data - just months before the new album launch. Ville admitted to removing my access and after asking why, I received messages stating that Mors Principium Est was his band and that I had merely joined his band.
Decisions for the new album, such as choosing which songs were to be released as singles, were made without my knowledge. I wasn't even asked to contribute to the “thank you” notes of the album I had worked so hard to put together.
After being told I was no longer a part of the band, I discovered that my name had never been included in the record deal. Therefore, any money made from album sales was not legally owed to me. I felt unable to speak out about the truth of what had happened until I could ensure a deed had been signed to secure the royalties I am rightfully owed. Sadly, I believe that any profits I could have hoped to make from this album have now been lost to 9 months of legal fees.
I felt that there had been some growing tension following the release of my solo record, “Neverafter” - a personal project which had no negative impact on the band. After devoting almost ten years of my life to the band, I didn’t think that releasing a personal project would be an issue. Ville stated that the release of my solo album just proved to him that I don’t care about the band that much anymore. It goes without saying that nothing could be further from the truth.
I joined Mors Principium Est in 2011 and have since written four albums for the band. It is no secret that there has been a long history of lineup changes and by 2017 the band had wilted down to just two official members, Ville and myself. I now become the 13th official member to leave Mors Principium Est.
I would like to make it clear that AFM Records or any other affiliations with the band were unaware of the situation unfolding at the time and played no part.
Although incredibly difficult, I would like to end this statement on a positive note. Thank you to all the fans for your loyal support over the years. I am extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to share my music and to connect with so many awesome people around the world. I would also like to thank everyone who I have shared the stage with or became friends with on the road. I have some incredible memories to look back on and though I am completely heartbroken that this chapter has come to an abrupt and disappointing end, I look forward to moving on to the next and putting the negativity behind me.
Much love,
Andy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2021, 06:28:54 PM »
Wow!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2021, 07:47:13 PM »
So he didn't get caught masturbating online?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »
Sounds like Ville is not liking how much control Andy has on the band, yet it seems Andy is effectively the only motivated one to get shit done.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2021, 11:45:36 PM »
Jeez, assuming those descriptions are broadly accurate, then Ville sounds like a right arse.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »
A pretty shocking statement all things considered. Idk how Ville expects to have the fans on his side after that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:43 AM »
Andy posted an update as well: "For the avoidance of doubt, any financial matters were resolved during the 9 months prior to the release of this statement and have been settled. A deed has been signed to ensure I continue to receive my split of the royalties since my departure from the band and I want to make it absolutely clear that my royalties are not being withheld.
I wish no ill upon anyone and am quite content moving on peacefully from here and putting it behind me."

Personally, while I think Ville is a strong vocalist, what I find exciting about MPE's last four albums is the songwriting (and I guess the general energy and sound). Thanks Kade for introducing me to them in my last roulette! I also really dig Gillion's solo album, which is pretty different but also really cool.

Between the two, Gillion is the one I'm most interested in, by a long way.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2021, 05:40:38 AM »
So he didn't get caught masturbating online?

He has his own YouTube channel.  There's a few wanking videos on there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »
Andy posted an update as well: "For the avoidance of doubt, any financial matters were resolved during the 9 months prior to the release of this statement and have been settled. A deed has been signed to ensure I continue to receive my split of the royalties since my departure from the band and I want to make it absolutely clear that my royalties are not being withheld.
I wish no ill upon anyone and am quite content moving on peacefully from here and putting it behind me."

Personally, while I think Ville is a strong vocalist, what I find exciting about MPE's last four albums is the songwriting (and I guess the general energy and sound). Thanks Kade for introducing me to them in my last roulette! I also really dig Gillion's solo album, which is pretty different but also really cool.

Between the two, Gillion is the one I'm most interested in, by a long way.

No worries at all Rich!  Yeah, Gillion for me is definitely the one I'll follow.  Funny, I haven't checked his solo album out.  Will add to the list.

Hard to see MPE returning as strong or relevant IMO.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »
Funny, I haven't checked his solo album out.  Will add to the list.
It's different - it's largely instrumental, a bit more proggy and whimsical, almost like a dark fairytale. But it's very lush and musically rich, just like his approach to MPE, just not as intense.

I be am boner inducing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
One pretty cool album from last year:

Countless Skies - "Glow"

Melodeath band from the UK.

Official full album stream is on here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TasJ761KzO4

Lots of strong (and uplifting!) melodies. Cover art gives you a good feel about the music, actually. The opening of the first song "Tempest" almost has a Count of Tuscany feel to it...or at least that's what I hear  ;) Clean vocals sound a little more "epic" than your typical melodic death metal album. Three-part closer (and title track) is excellent too.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2021, 12:43:04 PM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

Lots of strong (and uplifting!) melodies. Cover art gives you a good feel about the music, actually. The opening of the first song "Tempest" almost has a Count of Tuscany feel to it...or at least that's what I hear  ;) Clean vocals sound a little more "epic" than your typical melodic death metal album. Three-part closer (and title track) is excellent too.

Sounds good, added to one of my Spotify playlists  :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »
Not listened yet, but damn the vibe from their album art looks right up my alley. :lol

Will definitely give Glow a listen, probably tomorrow.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2021, 06:13:51 AM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

So yeah this is totally up my alley, and your descriptions are spot on. Musically they're not very original at all really, but they execute their style really damn well, and the more operatic Devin Townsend style for the clean vocals gives it enough of a distinct flavour. Giving the first LP New Dawn a listen now as well and this is great stuff too.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I be am boner inducing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2021, 06:35:40 AM »

So yeah this is totally up my alley, and your descriptions are spot on. Musically they're not very original at all really, but they execute their style really damn well, and the more operatic Devin Townsend style for the clean vocals gives it enough of a distinct flavour. Giving the first LP New Dawn a listen now as well and this is great stuff too.

Thanks for the recommendation!

:tup Glad you enjoyed it!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2021, 09:16:32 AM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

I thought the logo looked familiar. I punched it up in my Spotify and realized I have their 2014 EP Saved. I guess I forgot or lost track. Just listened to Tempest and yes, I'll be following up. They're really good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

I thought the logo looked familiar. I punched it up in my Spotify and realized I have their 2014 EP Saved. I guess I forgot or lost track. Just listened to Tempest and yes, I'll be following up. They're really good.
You know, on my first listen I did think "Tim will probably like this", and was going to suggest it to you, so I'm glad you saw this yourself anyway!

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

Just finished up. This was pretty good and the Devy style vocals, as Rich mentioned, really added to it. Cheers for the recommendation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

You know, on my first listen I did think "Tim will probably like this", and was going to suggest it to you, so I'm glad you saw this yourself anyway!

When I noticed I had it Saved, I thought, jeez, I must've sent it to you in your last roulette. I checked, and since it wasn't banned in your roulette I apparently didn't. But that would've been funny. I had Saved them in November of 2019 and I can't believe I didn't send them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2021, 04:07:21 AM »

Countless Skies - "Glow"

Will have to check this out.  They took their name from Be'lakor I'm guessing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
Will have to check this out.  They took their name from Be'lakor I'm guessing.

They sure did!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:29 AM »
AT THE GATES - The Fall Into Time (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Interesting song with some orchestral and prog elements.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »
Be'lakor on Facebook:

Our new album is finished! Mixed, mastered and ready to go. We're really excited to share it with you all. Stay tuned!

Yay!
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.