Author Topic: Melodic Death Metal  (Read 40379 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Melodic Death Metal
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Those vocals are very similar to Chuck Shuldiner which I find much more enjoyable than the more "growl" type vocals ala Michael Akerfeld. How do you feel about the band Death, Tim?

Yeah, it's funny. As I was watching the video I totally thought of Death. I think Death is amazing. But Chuck's vocals are pretty terrible. I actually prefer watching some of their live stuff on YouTube rather than the studio vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Those vocals are very similar to Chuck Shuldiner which I find much more enjoyable than the more "growl" type vocals ala Michael Akerfeld. How do you feel about the band Death, Tim?

Yeah, it's funny. As I was watching the video I totally thought of Death. I think Death is amazing. But Chuck's vocals are pretty terrible. I actually prefer watching some of their live stuff on YouTube rather than the studio vocals.

The live in LA DVD is fucking awesome.  Raw, totally live, 2 guitars, bass and drums, brilliant. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Yes. Yes it is! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
Yes. Yes it is! :metal

I think my faith have been restored in you Tim.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:55 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2018, 11:50:38 PM »

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:28 AM »
So I see they decided to transform into Omnium Gatherum.

Ha, I had the same thought initially. It's the major feel driven by the main riff. Certainly sounds better than what they've done recently in my books.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2018, 02:54:36 AM »
I'm not getting a particularly strong Omnium Gatherum vibe (though as Luoto knows, I'm still new to them). But it definitely sounds stylistically more like their Hatebreeder-HCDR era than anything else they've done for years.

Anyway a solid song. I'll check out the new album like I always do but might have slightly higher expectations this time!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
Recommendation courtesy of Glenn/Progpower USA:  Finally...some new melodic death metal that crushes. The riffs explode, the death vocals have balls, and the chorus is clean & catchy. I tip my hat to Horizon Ignited .- Glenn

Horizon Ignited - Equal in Death:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhO1mlkjwQg&fbclid=IwAR0YOnPwRDAJmKuQsJfenOXdfDB2SHjokMoSc8XFrUd9BciqRRz2297-y1s

Debut album came out in January...this is awesome stuff!  :metal

Offline JLa

« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
Did someone mention the Australian band "Be'lakor" yet? They are all kinds of awesome.

Listen to this and tell me you don't love it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsgEOXlaaI8

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2019, 03:01:46 PM »
Did someone mention the Australian band "Be'lakor" yet? They are all kinds of awesome.

Yeah, quite a few of us know about them and are fans.  Amazing band.  I stumbled across Vessels when it came out youtube and I was hooked right away.  Such brilliant music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »
Recommendation courtesy of Glenn/Progpower USA:  Finally...some new melodic death metal that crushes. The riffs explode, the death vocals have balls, and the chorus is clean & catchy. I tip my hat to Horizon Ignited .- Glenn

Horizon Ignited - Equal in Death:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhO1mlkjwQg&fbclid=IwAR0YOnPwRDAJmKuQsJfenOXdfDB2SHjokMoSc8XFrUd9BciqRRz2297-y1s

Debut album came out in January...this is awesome stuff!  :metal

Sounds a bit on the commercial side for the genre and definitely nothing new, but pretty good.  Definitely worth checking the album.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »

Yeah, quite a few of us know about them and are fans.  Amazing band.  I stumbled across Vessels when it came out youtube and I was hooked right away.  Such brilliant music.

:tup  Vessels is excellent
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline JLa

« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2019, 04:09:32 AM »

:tup  Vessels is excellent

I actually prefer "Of Breath and Bone" myself, but all their stuff is excellent really. Glad to see more people know about them!

How about another favorite of mine, Septic Flesh, do they fit the genre "melodeath" (I'm not so familar with the myriad of metal sub-genres!  :lol)? I mean, it's melodic and it's death, but it sounds completely different than other bands such as In Flames.

You be the judge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAJqNwlPUw

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
Just picked up the new Bodom CD and it's killer.
A return to the sound of Follow The Reaper and HCDR.
Songs are tight, mix and production very clean and clear.
Best thing they've done for a very long time and the the title track is a future CoB classic.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
Yeah I gotta admit the new COB is very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Just picked up the new Bodom CD and it's killer.
A return to the sound of Follow The Reaper and HCDR.
Songs are tight, mix and production very clean and clear.
Best thing they've done for a very long time and the the title track is a future CoB classic.

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.

Offline Art

« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2019, 05:58:22 AM »
The new Bodom does sound good.

On a first listen, it will probably be the only album after Hate Crew that i like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
Had one listen to the new album and it sounds like it could be a ripper.  Production sounds great too,  Love the inclusion of Knuckleduster, always thought that song was album quiality but the remix is lol.  The two live tracks are pretty nice too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »
Yeah those dodgy bonus tracks are because this time they decided not to record any cover songs.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2019, 04:12:58 AM »
The new Bodom album really is a good return to form, their best since Follow the Reaper and the only I've been at all interested in since HCD.

Standout track for me right now is Soon Departed, really classic Bodom tune.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Gotta echo the positive comments on the new COB :tup Hexed, Kick in the Spleen and Soon Departed are cool songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
The new Bodom album really is a good return to form, their best since Follow the Reaper and the only I've been at all interested in since HCD.

Standout track for me right now is Soon Departed, really classic Bodom tune.

The triple punch of Spleen, Platitudes and the tile track is amazing.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2019, 04:56:08 PM »
Count me in on the praise for the new Bodom album. I've given it a week to see whether my opinion on the first listen (I loved it) would hold up, and it has. It's a fantastic album and their best since Hate Crew Deathroll in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2019, 04:35:17 AM »
It's a fantastic album and their best since Hate Crew Deathroll in my opinion.

I'm a big AYDY? fan, so time will only tell if the new one beats it.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »
Hexed got me first time listening and subsequent plays have revealed lots of new things.
A riff or keyboard sound I hadn't previously noticed.
Even Alexi's 'singing' seems to have improved, I can actually make out his words in quite a few songs  ;D

AYDY, I actually never rated it too high until recently, I gave it a good listen and was surprised it sounded way better than I remember.
But I still rate it below HCDR, those first four Bodom albums are pretty strong and hard to top.
But Hexed might end up giving those some strong competition.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
AYDY has some great tracks on it (Living Dead Beat, In Your Face, Bastards of Bodom, Trashed Lost and Strungout and We're Not Gonna Fall) but on the whole I find it a slight step down from the greatness of what went before. The other tracks are a bit by-the-numbers. I still love the album though, as I do all their stuff. Prior to the release of Hexed my ranking was this:

1. Hatebreeder
2. Follow The Reaper
3. Hate Crew Deathroll
4. Blooddrunk (Done With Everything, Die For Nothing is their most underrated track in my opinion, and I was happy to hear a kind of musical 'echo' of it on the track 'Relapse', from Hexed)
5. Something Wild (Alexi was 16/17 when he wrote this!)
6. Are You Dead Yet?
7. I Worship Chaos
8. Halo of Blood
9. Relentless Reckless Forever (though I LOVE the title track)

But honestly, albums 1 and 2 are pretty much tied. Both are masterpieces in my opinion.

We'll see how it ages but early indications are that Hexed will slot into the #4 slot.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »
I agree that FTR and Hatebreeder are masterpieces or pretty close and I cannot split them, accept, I prefer the production on Reaper.
BTW did you know there are two different mixes of FTR?
The Spinefarm release and Nuclear Blast versions are different, most are subtle, but noticeable all the same.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
I agree that FTR and Hatebreeder are masterpieces or pretty close and I cannot split them, accept, I prefer the production on Reaper.
BTW did you know there are two different mixes of FTR?
The Spinefarm release and Nuclear Blast versions are different, most are subtle, but noticeable all the same.

I remember you saying that before.  I'll have to check both versions out I think.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
You guys, the new CoB is on heavy rotation in my house. The strongest songs are on the second half of the album, and Hexed is easily in my top 20 CoB songs ever. That outro.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Art

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
Listening to The Jester Race now and remembering simpler, better times...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
Listening to The Jester Race now and remembering simpler, better times...

One of the very first albums that turned me onto harsh vocals.  Classic album.

Offline Working man

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
http://www.decadawn.com

Thes3 guys from Monftreal. Pretty cool sound.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:29 AM »
Insomnium will release a new album called Heart Like a Grave on October 4th. They also announced Jani Liimatainen (Cain's Offering, ex-Sonata Arctica) as a new member!

The band comments: ”In 2018 it became apparent that Ville could not combine the heavy touring anymore with his another career as a lecturer in York university. Hence, we decided that a third guitarist was needed to get the machinery running properly. We did not have to look far, since Jani Liimatainen had already been a live guitarist on several tours. And since this dude is amazing musician, vocalist, songwriter and all-round nice guy the decision was really a no-brainer. Now we are stronger than ever!”

Ville comments: “Since 2010 I’ve been combining touring and band life with my science career. However, couple of years ago it became clear that it has become impossible for me to put my 100% in both. This is partly because of more demanding role at the University of York but also because Insomnium has been growing steadily year by year leading to increasing amount of touring with every album. With Jani on board, we have secured a steady live line-up to keep delivering fierce live shows all around the world with me joining the band when time allows.”

Jani adds: “It is a great honour to join such an amazing band. I had already been touring with the guys on and off since 2015, filling in for Ville whenever needed, so when they asked me to officially join the band the answer was pretty much a no-brainer. I am looking forward to sharing many more metal moments with these guys who I am proud to call my friends.”
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »
Insomnium will release a new album called Heart Like a Grave on October 4th. They also announced Jani Liimatainen (Cain's Offering, ex-Sonata Arctica) as a new member!

The band comments: ”In 2018 it became apparent that Ville could not combine the heavy touring anymore with his another career as a lecturer in York university. Hence, we decided that a third guitarist was needed to get the machinery running properly. We did not have to look far, since Jani Liimatainen had already been a live guitarist on several tours. And since this dude is amazing musician, vocalist, songwriter and all-round nice guy the decision was really a no-brainer. Now we are stronger than ever!”

Ville comments: “Since 2010 I’ve been combining touring and band life with my science career. However, couple of years ago it became clear that it has become impossible for me to put my 100% in both. This is partly because of more demanding role at the University of York but also because Insomnium has been growing steadily year by year leading to increasing amount of touring with every album. With Jani on board, we have secured a steady live line-up to keep delivering fierce live shows all around the world with me joining the band when time allows.”

Jani adds: “It is a great honour to join such an amazing band. I had already been touring with the guys on and off since 2015, filling in for Ville whenever needed, so when they asked me to officially join the band the answer was pretty much a no-brainer. I am looking forward to sharing many more metal moments with these guys who I am proud to call my friends.”
:metal Still spinning SotDS, such an awesome album!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls