Author Topic: "I'm spiritual, but not religious."  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Ħ

"I'm spiritual, but not religious."
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what this means.  Someone shed some light on it for me.  And does it basically mean the same thing for everyone that says it?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: "I'm spiritual, but not religious."
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
I guess it would depend on how you define spiritual.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
Been on online dating sites lately? :lol
(that's the standard phrase you see there)

Frankly it always struck me as a blahblah phrase that only means they don't spend much time thinking about religion or whatever.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
It basically means that they have strong spiritual inclinations, believing in God/Gods, spirits, an afterlife of sorts and the like; but they don't really care much for any organized form of faith, with rituals, observances, holidays, etc, nor do they feel the need to be around people of a similar faith to worship.   I have actually described my self with such a phrase at various times, because while I am a person of deep spiritual beliefs and thought, I generally do not feel the desire or need to take part in any religious organization or group, even if I identify myself of a certain belief system.

Frankly it always struck me as a blahblah phrase that only means they don't spend much time thinking about religion or whatever.

rumborak

You could not be more wrong about this, dude.  I have known people of various faiths who think about spiritual matters all the time, but simply feel that religion in an organized form tends to take away from the personal experience of spirituality.  They often use a phrase such as H posted to describe themselves and their beliefs.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
I'm kind of like that. I was raised Roman Catholic, went to RC school from preK-12th, and then when I was about 20 I started really doubting.. I'm not sure what I believe right now specifically, but in a way I'm a theist.. I take the "can't get something from nothing" stand... something/one had to start it all at some point.. whether they interfere or change everything after that initial spark is where I am doubtful.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
I have also understood the phrase as Dark Master described.
Open to spiritual themes but generally not involved in organized religion

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
It basically means that they have strong spiritual inclinations, believing in God/Gods, spirits, an afterlife of sorts and the like; but they don't really care much for any organized form of faith, with rituals, observances, holidays, etc, nor do they feel the need to be around people of a similar faith to worship.   I have actually described my self with such a phrase at various times, because while I am a person of deep spiritual beliefs and thought, I generally do not feel the desire or need to take part in any religious organization or group, even if I identify myself of a certain belief system.

rumborak

You could not be more wrong about this, dude.  I have known people of various faiths who think about spiritual matters all the time, but simply feel that religion in an organized form tends to take away from the personal experience of spirituality.  They often use a phrase such as H posted to describe themselves and their beliefs.
It doesn't really make sense AFAICT though as religion basically means connect to God. Spiritual is in my view just an expression of that. On the other hand, arguably anybody is spiritual if their "God" is in fact their ultimate reality.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »
I'm guessing this would be basically what Dark Master stated, so I'm just reiterating that it's someone who is open to and believes in an afterlife, a soul, a higher being, perhaps, but doesn't tie themselves down with one particular religion.

I feel as if some people find some religions to be more of a burden than a help, so being open to anything works for them.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »
Well basically what I was saying is that a spiritual person is someone to whom spirituality (gods, afterlife, a moral code that has some sort of assumed supernatural or divine basis, etc), is not the same thing as a religion, which is to some just an institution of spirituality (church/temple services, well defined religious texts, strictly defined set of morals and ethics, regular and systematized observances of religious holidays/sacrifices/customs, etc).  While there is certainly some cross-over between the two groups, they can, at times, be very different things.

It doesn't really make sense AFAICT though as religion basically means connect to God. Spiritual is in my view just an expression of that. On the other hand, arguably anybody is spiritual if their "God" is in fact their ultimate reality.

In the mind of someone who is "spiritual, not religious", religion is not the connection to the Divine, per se, rather it is the institution of that connection.  I suppose you could say that religion is an institution that supplies spirituality, much like how schools supply education.  You don't need to go to school to be educated, you can do that yourself if you are resourceful enough, but it is how most people pursue their learning.  The same is true of religion and spiritualism: you don't need to be a committed member of an organized religion to actually have a connection to the Divine, but religion is the medium through which most seek some sort of divine communion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:15:44 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Well, I was talking to someone who identified themselves as spiritual but did not believe in the supernatural.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
I think rumby and TDM both got it. Some people are one, the other, or a mix.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
Well, I was talking to someone who identified themselves as spiritual but did not believe in the supernatural.

That is interesting.  If they do not believe in anything supernatural, in what manner do they consider themselves spiritual? (unless they do not count divine entities, such as Gods, as "supernatural")

Offline Adami

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »

That is interesting.  If they do not believe in anything supernatural, in what manner do they consider themselves spiritual? (unless they do not count divine entities, such as Gods, as "supernatural")

If they believe that we are more than the sum of our parts, they can be considered spiritual.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »

If they believe that we are more than the sum of our parts, they can be considered spiritual.

By that do you mean they might believe that the human "self" consists of not just the physical self, but a "spirit-self" as well?

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:12 PM »
Close enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 11:50:57 PM »
Ok, then.  If that is the case, I can see why they would consider themselves spiritual but not religious, as they believe in some sort of spiritual dimension to reality, but do follow any particular organized religion.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
I have a friend that is a good example.  She considers herself a spiritual Christian but does not go to church or get involved in anything organized that has to do with her beliefs.  Funny thing is though, she seems to me not to be all that spiritual either even though she likes to label herself as such.  I think in the context of Christianity you need to be able to accept some part of organized worship, fellowship, or study to help you along in your faith.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
"Spirituality" has always seemed to me to be more of a characteristic of a person, whereas religiosity is more of a direct practice or belief. I'd say that all religious people are spiritual, but not all spiritual people are religious.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

Perhaps they believe more in a nature type spirit? ala native american type of spirituality?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
I think rumby and TDM both got it. Some people are one, the other, or a mix.

I think that's true. I think the phrase is kinda a "don't bother asking me further" thing and thus captures a wide spectrum of people who will use that phrase.

rumborak

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
Agreed with that

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
'im spiritual but not reigious' translates to 'i dont believe in religious teachings but dont want to admit that death is the end'

Offline j

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
I always cringe a little when somebody says this.  I assume the person saying it wants to distance themselves from "traditional" religious practices, while still appearing open-minded.  In reality, if they are "spiritual" and it affects the way they live on a day-to-day basis, they ARE religious.  Not to mention, even after reading the responses in this thread attempting to explain it, I have no idea what being "spiritual" is supposed to mean at all.

-J

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
I always cringe a little when somebody says this.  I assume the person saying it wants to distance themselves from "traditional" religious practices, while still appearing open-minded.  In reality, if they are "spiritual" and it affects the way they live on a day-to-day basis, they ARE religious.  Not to mention, even after reading the responses in this thread attempting to explain it, I have no idea what being "spiritual" is supposed to mean at all.

-J

So if I believe a person is more than just a bunch of bodily functions and firing neurons, I am religious?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
I always cringe a little when somebody says this.  I assume the person saying it wants to distance themselves from "traditional" religious practices, while still appearing open-minded.  In reality, if they are "spiritual" and it affects the way they live on a day-to-day basis, they ARE religious.  Not to mention, even after reading the responses in this thread attempting to explain it, I have no idea what being "spiritual" is supposed to mean at all.

-J

So if I believe a person is more than just a bunch of bodily functions and firing neurons, I am religious?

If it affects your outlook on life in some way, and by extension, the choices you make and the way you live, then yes.

Although "religion" is generally taken to mean going to church and reciting prayers and singing hymns every Sunday, it's really just a set of beliefs or a worldview.  And these things tend to affect the way a person lives.

-J
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:39:36 PM by j »

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
It's also a set of rituals. Beliefs by themselves do not equate religion.

Or else every set of political, philosophical, psychological, sociological etc beliefs are considered religions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
It's also a set of rituals. Beliefs by themselves do not equate religion.

Or else every set of political, philosophical, psychological, sociological etc beliefs are considered religions.

Rituals are just repeated behaviors, which are influenced by our beliefs.  And yes, to some degree those things could be considered "religions", except that they don't necessarily deal with the supernatural.

I'm not sure why religion is such a dirty word to so many people, I suspect that's the attitude that is the origin of phrases like the one in the OP.

-J

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
In the same way, then, science has become a religion. Now, I think this is true on some level, but it seems more advantageous to me distinguish the two upon ontological grounds than epistemological grounds, and keep the two separate enough.

Offline Adami

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Fine, everyone has a belief to some extent about the supernatural, thus making everyone religious. And if everyone is religious then no one is religious.

Thus we need a stricter definition of religious in order for it to exist in reality and in contrast, so we'll just use my definition for the sake of convenience and thus I'm not religious.

Glad we worked that out. Pie?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
In the same way, then, science has become a religion. Now, I think this is true on some level, but it seems more advantageous to me distinguish the two upon ontological grounds than epistemological grounds, and keep the two separate enough.

Yeah I agree.  It's just clear to me in these types of discussions that the things that jump to mind when people hear "religion" are images of the two or three major world religions (which are often distasteful to them) when in reality it encompasses a lot more than that.

Fine, everyone has a belief to some extent about the supernatural, thus making everyone religious. And if everyone is religious then no one is religious.

Thus we need a stricter definition of religious in order for it to exist in reality and in contrast, so we'll just use my definition for the sake of convenience and thus I'm not religious.

Fair enough.  But IMO it'd be more accurate to just say something straightforward like "I don't identify with any particular major religion".

Glad we worked that out. Pie?

-J

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
Just to be fair, I am not saying I'm not religious because I have a distaste for religion or anything, I just define religion differently than you do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »
"Religion" comes from the Latin religare - "to bind."  It refers to a strict set of rules, regulations, and doctrines.  Therefore, it is perfectly OK to be spiritual, even spiritually Christian, without being religious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 05:37:16 AM »
Been on online dating sites lately? :lol
(that's the standard phrase you see there)

rumborak

What do you use - agnostic? I've met a couple of women using this. One was  hindu the other christian but they didn't want to be labelled.

Also, please give your thuoghts on "bubbly", "down to earth" because they always strike me as red lights.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 06:32:45 AM »
I personally have used "agnostic", yeah. But I also understood that many girls who would put down "spiritual but not religious" were really the same as me, they just didn't want to make an active statement about it.

Regarding "bubbly", yeah, that's pretty much a red flag for me too :lol At least in the US I would take it as a euphemism for ditzy or a chatterbox, like "Body type: Average" means she's actually significantly overweight.
"Down to Earth" was always a plus for me, but frankly, almost all of them say that about themselves.

rumborak

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
Lol.  "Bubbly" = annoying.

"Body type: Average" means she's actually significantly overweight.

For some reason I find this hilarious, even though I'm sure it's true and no laughing matter for people who use online dating sites.

But if you think about it, she's probably not lying.

-J