Author Topic: 2 Americans sentenced to 8 years in Iranian prison  (Read 898 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
2 Americans sentenced to 8 years in Iranian prison
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/us-hikers-iran-sentenced_n_932090.html

Of course, this is all stupid international politics and stuff and nowhere near "justice" in any sense.
But, I also find it hard to mount much sympathy for 2 guys deciding to "hike" near the Iraqi-Iranian border. Seriously, you need to have your head checked to do something like that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

Re: 2 Americans sentenced to 8 years in Iranian prison
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
If it's an amazing waterfall, I might think their story is a little more legitimate... the other major problem I see though is: how did they get caught? Where they in an area of high traffic? Unlucky timing? Amazing boarder security?

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
Sounds like a future Locked Up Abroad episode.  Very strange, and probably stupid, but I've often found myself wishing I could have had the experiences some of those people had.  That's not to say I would want to experience them, but that I would like to have experienced them, that is having something like that in my past.

:cuckoo:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
I'm getting the impression Iran thinks that America is pretty much like the Milkman Conspiracy level from Psychonauts.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »
I'm getting the impression Iran thinks that America is pretty much like the Milkman Conspiracy level from Psychonauts.

Thanks for making me reinstall Psychonauts.

...my name is Araragi.