Author Topic: New HP BrickPad now only 99.99.  (Read 7104 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: New HP BrickPad now only 99.99.
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 01:14:32 AM »
iPad is the original, guys. And the HP is just a cover version of the iPad. And covers are never as good as the original.
And it doesn't have 2 million apps such as that one that turns your screen into a mirror, or all of those free Flash games that they charge money for as apps.

See, while that's funny, you actually could have made the argument that since the Ipad isn't the original tablet, that it's not the most pure and that everyone who wants the Ipad should instead get the original tablet (whatever it is) because it's the best by definition.

You see, I'm a jerk and just assume that Apple fans aren't aware of any technology before Apple sticks their logo on it. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 01:16:23 AM »
You know what? Thank Xenu for the apple company. Before them no one knew what to compare to oranges.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »
You know what? Thank Xenu for the apple company. Before them no one knew what to compare to oranges.

You thank Xenu, i will thank Beartrucci. All the same.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:19 AM »
iPad is the original, guys. And the HP is just a cover version of the iPad. And covers are never as good as the original.
And it doesn't have 2 million apps such as that one that turns your screen into a mirror, or all of those free Flash games that they charge money for as apps.

See, while that's funny, you actually could have made the argument that since the Ipad isn't the original tablet, that it's not the most pure and that everyone who wants the Ipad should instead get the original tablet (whatever it is) because it's the best by definition.

You see, I'm a jerk and just assume that Apple fans aren't aware of any technology before Apple sticks their logo on it. :neverusethis:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 01:26:17 AM »
Still wouldn't buy it even for that. Tablets are worthless.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
Still wouldn't buy it even for that. Tablets are worthless.

Or are they?  :omg:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 01:29:21 AM »
There's absolutely nothing I would use them for that could come close to justifying spending $100 even for an iPad.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:36 AM »
Ironically the only reason I want an Ipad is the same reason most people think they're useless. I just want a bigger version of my Ipod. I have no desire to have an Ipad for the internet, or reading, or anything else really other applications like Morphwiz or other musical applications. I basically think of the Ipad as a cool musical instrument.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »
There's absolutely nothing I would use them for that could come close to justifying spending $100 even for an iPad.
Nope, not for you. Because when you need to look up something on the internet or something, your computer will probably already be on. This is not true for many, many households who will have to start up their computer in order to do so. That computer is probably few years old and loaded with bloatware so it'll take 20 minutes to start up by which time you have already forgotten what you needed to do.
An iPad for example is instantly on, no hassles, and just do what you have to do and put it down again.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:54 AM »
Ok i'll bite on this... Here is what i use it for... (Now other people use it for loads of other things of course.)

I do almost all of my school work on it. I take it to school and I have my text books inside. I take notes with it and even write code on it!

I surf the web with it on the couch. It's much lighter and nicer to use than a laptop for surfing (and i have a mbpro.)

Streaming to the AppleTv is fantastic. Any music or videos i'm looking at instantly get streamed to my 50 inch plasma. Also it now does OTA mirroring so i can mirror my screen with my TV which is really awesome for surfing or presenting things like presentations.

A mobile gaming device. There are some fantastic and innovative games in the App store and for very cheap.

I trade stock with it on the go.

I don't use it as a musical device but that's because i've been out of the musical loop for a little bit or else I would.

IT's a great eReader. I have tons of books on it including fiction, non fiction, school work and stock trading books. My wife also stores all her books in a different collection and she uses it more than me!

Video conferencing is great because i always have it near me so it's very convenient. Now the've including iMessaging in iOS 5 which is one of my favorite features. Basically you can text message for FREE to any iOS device or Mac.

Having all my emails, contacts, to do lists, music, calendars, and more on it is very convenient. What i love about iCloud is the instant updating. So if i update a calendar event on my phone it automatically updates on the ipad and mac instantly . And vice versa. The same goes for contacts, email, messaging and documents. The integration across all devices with iCloud is superb.

It's a great cookbook. I have a bunch of cookbooks and recipes on it  and it's very convenient to use around the kitchen.

Here are some other cool uses...

lang lang playing flight of the bumblebee...on an iPad
https://youtu.be/HvplGbCBaLA

Expensive Cat Toy
https://youtu.be/Q9NP-AeKX40

Kitchen Entertainment System
https://youtu.be/Cq6My3kEqqk

etc.... There are a million of these!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »
Now the've including iMessaging in iOS 5 which is one of my favorite features. Basically you can text message for FREE to any iOS device or Mac.
As long as you're both connected to the internet by WiFi. How is that special?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 01:55:56 AM »
I don't know why people would use OS specific messengers when there's a good few cross platform ones.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:19 AM »
Now the've including iMessaging in iOS 5 which is one of my favorite features. Basically you can text message for FREE to any iOS device or Mac.

BEcause it's free text messaging ala Black berry messenger? Which means you aren't charged for a text. And you can do it from iphone to ipad to mac and back and forth. I will be cancelling my text plan once iOS 5 is available to the public.

Considering almost all of my friends are using an ios device of some kind and family members. And i'll just pay for the few extra texts a month. I'll probably save 20 bucks a month because of this feature. Text messaging is WAY over priced.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »

Not just wifi 3g or edge as well.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 01:58:56 AM »
I don't know why people would use OS specific messengers when there's a good few cross platform ones.

I know what you mean but the implementation of iMessage is really top notch. I love it more than most of the other features. One of the cool little nuances.. if i read the message on my phone my ipad and computer know i've read it so it doesn't show up as read. Now it may not seem like a big deal but it's pretty cool. Same goes for email. Also having the delivery and read confirmations is nice and the live typing bubble.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »

BEcause it's free text messaging ala Black berry messenger? Which means you aren't charged for a text. And you can do it from iphone to ipad to mac and back and forth. I will be cancelling my text plan once iOS 5 is available to the public.
So you're not going to be able to text anyone that doesn't have an iPhone? And if they're out of 3G range or just have their 3G turned off because of battery reasons or so (or just not under 3G cover) they're not going to get your text.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:10 AM »
NO! If they have an iOs (iphone, ipod touch, ipad) device or a mac the text message will instantly be free and you will get advanced features likely read receipts and delivery confirmation. And live typing. If you are sending it to someone else it will just go as a regular text.

What i was saying was majority of the people i text have one of those 4 devices already so the amount of texting that will be charged will be far less than what my wife and I's text plan is.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 02:08:01 AM »
So you're saying that you send the text message to Apple via the internet, and Apple will try to send it to the receiver via internet and if that's not possible/they don't have an iOS device Apple will send it as a regular text message over the cellphone-network for free?

EDIT: k you already quoted me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 02:08:59 AM »
A free regular text?

yep across phones, ipads, ipods and computers.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 02:10:20 AM »
A free regular text?

Yes but like you said it will send a "regular text" to other devices... How then if you've cancelled your text plan?

EDIT: nevermind.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:55 AM »
A free regular text?

Yes but like you said it will send a "regular text" to other devices... How then if you've cancelled your text plan?

I can still text but will be charged i think 5 cents per text. Not sure i can find that out but whatever it is it will be much cheaper than what i am paying now for two phones of texting.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 03:15:38 AM »
Wow, that sucks for the people who bought one at full price.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:54 AM »

fair enough. BTW. had did this turn into an apple thread? This is supposed to be brickpad talk!

Probably when you couldn't mention the HP tablet without flag-waving for Apple in every other sentence of the original post.  ;)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 05:01:46 AM »
Wow, that sucks for the people who bought one at full price.

Maybe, but maybe not.

People who buy expensive pieces of technology as soon as they come out should know what they're getting into, and the risks involved. To be honest, I'm pretty sure most people who buy new expensive electronics like the HP tablet right out of the gate aren't the kinds of people who really  carefully research what they want to buy, save up for it, and then make the purchase. I'm guessing the $500 it was originally was just a drop in the pail.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:30 AM »
no need to wait for iOS 5, text+ is working great now. Assigns your iDevice a phone number. Free, easy and interfaces well with your contacts.

While I agree modders and hackers would have fun with this cancelled HP device, the humanitarian in me says ship the whole half million or so units off to some third world country. Have HP run a small shell "support" group in that country. Sell them to these people at whatever meager price point they can afford. Long term benefits abound. HP customers for generations. Universal good will and worldwide browny points.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
Why does every thread tj posts turn into an Apple bitchfest?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Why does every thread tj posts turn into an Apple bitchfest?
Because he feels the need to bring them up in every thread.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
It was appropriate in this thread. All i really said was that it was an iPad "Competitor." Which it was supposed to be.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
I think the main problem with most companies is that they are trying to make an ipad competitor, whereas they should be trying to make something that would make the ipad completely irrelevant.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
I think the main problem with most companies is that they are trying to make an ipad competitor, whereas they should be trying to make something that would make the ipad completely irrelevant.

That is a hard thing to do...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »

That is a hard thing to do...

Word. It's like trying to make a beer that'd make Budweiser irrelevant in the American market. Sure it's very possible to make a product of higher quality than iPad or Bud but both are so deeply entrenched in our marketplace that the real challenge becomes getting folks to judge your product on its own merits as opposed to being brushed off "cuz mah frands ain't got it."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
I read up on this a bit last night, and there are a couple of problems.  For one thing,  the hardware isn't all that great.  There were some real bugs that they were going to work out with patches and SW improvements.  You won't be seeing those anymore.  Also,  it was to eventually support GSM, but that won't happen now so half the cellular market will be SOL.  It did occur to me that eventually somebody might port Android to the thing, and that could be a good thing to have, but I'm really not sure.  It would be a PITA to do, I'm sure, and the WebOS isn't all that bad.  I kind of suspect that the people who buy them for the cheap hardware will be more interested in working with the existing OS, and that means a very, very limited group of people cranking out homebrew aps.

Basically,  Android would make it worth $99,  but I wouldn't be willing to bet that it'll ever get there. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »
some more news...

https://venturebeat.com/2011/08/20/us-best-buy-touchpad-refunds/

US Best Buy stops selling TouchPad, HP gives refunds to owners
August 20, 2011 | Devindra HardawarView Comments

inShare

HP’s massive TouchPad fire sale won’t be hitting US Best Buy stores, as the retailer will be shipping its remaining stock back to HP, Engadget reports.

Even more intriguing, HP is apparently offering refunds to current TouchPad owners who bought the tablet on its website, either for the full price of the tablet or the difference in the discounted fire sale prices, according to WebOSroundup.

HP has also sent out memos to its retail partners to extend their refund offers on the TouchPad. We’ve dropped a line into HP to see how much of this report is true.

Best Buy just recently put up a page detailing its TouchPad return policy, saying that it will now offer returns and refunds for up to 60 days. The retailer also made it clear that it won’t be matching TouchPad prices from elsewhere.

The news is certainly going to disappoint deal hounds who were hoping for US Best Buys to offer the tablet for $100, as Canadian Best Buys did yesterday. VentureBeat’s Regina Sinsky talked to a Best Buy manager yesterday who admitted that the company never had plans to sell the tablet below $300 in the US.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
WebOS is dead.

The beauty of the tech world, however, is that ghosts are real. Just ask Apple. HP has murdered webOS, make no mistake about it. But now that its body has been lowered into the earth and covered with six feet of unsold TouchPads, HP will embark on a new journey in an attempt to resurrect it. Truth be told, though, I believe these efforts will be short-lived.

Who will license HP’s webOS in the current mobile landscape? And why? WebOS couldn’t break into the market with the world’s No. 1 PC vendor, millions of dollars, teams of bright minds and a massive ad campaign behind it. What company will try its hand with the OS after that colossal failure? What developer will stick around and wait, betting on some other significant player to come make a massive investment in a platform that not even HP’s millions could sell to consumers?

If HP gave up on webOS devices after just 16 months, I don’t see how the company can expect any other major player to even consider taking the platform seriously.

Unless a company with the capability to truly resurrect the OS comes along and licenses it, yes, webOS is dead. But who might come to the rescue? Android is free — sort of — and it’s ripping through the market right now. Big boys like Samsung and HTC have made massive investments in Google’s mobile platform, and they already have Windows Phone as a solid No. 2.

So who else is there? ZTE, Huawei and other companies that fall into the “others” category on market share charts? Why bother; Android is free and these vendors are actually doing pretty well with the platform right now. Dell? No, Dell is too busy laughing at HP. Motorola? Yeah, probably not. Nokia? That ship has sailed. RIM? It’s not going to happen. RIM is investing tons of resources in QNX and you know what? QNX is a pretty great platform. With RIM’s history and carrier relationships alongside support for the Android app ecosystem, I think RIM likes its chance right now. Truth be told, I like them too.

Who does that leave? Maybe HP will finally toss webOS onto printers. Maybe Kenmore will stuff webOS into a few smart refrigerators or toasters — though with Android out there as a free and open option, I’m not sure what the appeal would be.

My unsolicited advice, HP: shut up and take your shots. You spent $1.2 billion on Palm 16 months ago, and you’ve already given up on selling webOS devices. To make matters worse, you’re now financing a fire sale on TouchPads and further tarnishing your brand in an attempt to shove dead-end devices into consumers’ hands just so you get some nominal return. Shame on you.

So now, you’re going to get ripped up over it. Deal with it.

If some company comes along to license webOS for huge money and then uses the platform to revolutionize the deli meat slicer industry, fine, we’ll all eat crow. I’ll eat crow with a giant smile on my face, I might add, because I’ve always been a huge fan of webOS. Until then, however, sit back and take your shots like a multi-billion dollar corporation that just screwed the pooch should.

https://www.bgr.com/2011/08/20/no-hp-youre-off-the-mark/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28BGR+%7C+Boy+Genius+Report%29

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
Man, HP are not doing well right now:

Hewlett-Packard shares fall 20% on bid for Autonomy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14598006