Author Topic: New HP BrickPad now only 99.99.  (Read 7103 times)

Offline tjanuranus

New HP BrickPad now only 99.99.
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:13 PM »
Well it's official. HP is cancelling the brand new iPad "Competitor" called the touchpad which is now a worthless brick. Because of this they are selling it for 99.99 down from 499.99 originally just a few weeks ago. This has to be the fastest cancellation of a major product ever. But it is a great deal if you want something cheap that will do a few things. Just don't expect any support, updates or apps for it. ever.

https://www.precentral.net/hp-begins-touchpad-liquidation-16gb-cut-99-32gb-149-1

HP begins TouchPad liquidation; 16GB cut to $99, 32GB $149

We were wondering how exactly HP was going to handle the glut of TouchPads in the market now that they’ve decided they’re done making hardware for webOS. Now we have our answer: fire sale!

In a memo sent to HP affiliates, the company issued the declaration to begin liquidating TouchPad inventories, with a price cut of $300 or more:

HP will be lowering the price of the TouchPad beginning Saturday 8/20/11. This is the lowest price ever for the TouchPad so please post it as soon as it goes live.

16GB TouchPad- $99; 32GB TouchPad - $149

The pricing may be set to go live tomorrow, but that hasn’t stopped some retailers. Best Buy and Future Shop have already implemented the new pricing, and we expect others will follow through shortly. It seems HP’s finally looking to get those lofty unit sales numbers they wanted, though they can throw profit margin out the window. Unknown: if, when, or how much HP will cut the price of the sort-of-launched 64GB TouchPad.

Source: Best Buy, Future Shop; Thanks to Dan and Kyle for the tips!

Offline tjanuranus

Re: New HP BrickPad now only 99.99.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Some more info...

HP TouchPad was released barely a month ago but the tablet never took off and HP pulled the ejector handle. A win for Apple's iPad. A lose for those who bought an HP TouchPad.

Hewlett-Packard are giving up on their TouchPad tablet after a painful defeat, Thursday. The company is also ditching other hardware using TouchPad's operating system, meaning more discontinued products may be announced soon.

Skip to next paragraph
Recent posts

The HP TouchPad was announced in February but from the outset they had techies questioning key decisions. The launch was set for months later in the summer, which had many scratching their heads. It wouldn't nab the back to school shoppers, or compete with any scheduled iPad release. At the time it also seemed like an awfully long way off.

Then, on July 1, the TouchPad was released to mild fanfare and curiosity. It was immediately scorned for a lack of apps, sluggish performance, clunky user experience, and frequent errant keyboard presses.

But the news wasn't all bad. Many users liked them, and average user ratings on the Best Buy website (if they can be believed) were on par with the iPad 2's ratings.

But still sales weren't picking up. In just five weeks HP dropped the price of the TouchPad drastically to entice buyers. But consumers didn't bite, and reports came in that many were waiting for yet another price cut.

What a difference a week makes.

Reports began coming in that Best Buy had sold less than 10 percent of their inventory of 270,000 TouchPads and was trying to sell them back to HP to no avail. Meanwhile, Apple had sold 9 million iPads the previous quarter and were backordered for weeks. Apple couldn't make units fast enough, and TouchPads were starting to look like bricks in store inventories.

Before the news of distressed inventory at Best Buy made big news, HP had already come to a decision. On Thursday, HP announced it would discontinue production of the TouchPad.

CEO Leo Apotheker said in a conference call, "Our TouchPad has not been gaining enough traction in the marketplace. We have made the difficult but necessary decision to shut down the WebOS hardware operations."

That means that it won't just be the TouchPad that is affected. WebOS, inherited by Palm, Inc., which they bought last year, is used in HP smartphones as well. While no specific models were named, expect many to be discontinued.

SHOCK TO USERS

Just one week before, early adopters were up arms that they had been punished for buying early after HP announced the $100 price cut. No word on support for the TouchPad, but discontinuing operations indicates TouchPad users can expect the short end of the stick on that front.

Users weren't the only ones left shocked that HP seemed to have gotten it so wrong.

The announcement that HP would be discontinuing WebOS devices was followed by favorable reactions on Wall Street. At its high, HP stocks were up 13 percent, Thursday. However, by the end of the day stocks had fallen and were down 6 percent overall at the closing bell.

[Editor's note: the original version of this story did not clearly differentiate between WebOS and WebOS devices.]

https://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/0819/HP-TouchPad-crashes-and-burns-HP-gives-up

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
This is an amazing opportunity for the homebrew/hacking community, I'll have to keep an eye on things. Might just grab one if things are looking good.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »
^ You're absolutely right!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
This is an amazing opportunity for the homebrew/hacking community, I'll have to keep an eye on things. Might just grab one if things are looking good.

Same here. Maybe, that way, someone will actually start utilizing tablets to their full potential.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

i was thinking the same thing

Offline TL

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
Hmm, I might actually pick up one one these.

Also, Tj, it's a tablet, not an "iPad competitor". Tablets existed before the iPad.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
Hmm, I might actually pick up one one these.

Also, Tj, it's a tablet, not an "iPad competitor". Tablets existed before the iPad.

yeah because HP was trying to compete with something else besides the iPad. RIIIIIIGHT. I know it's not an Ipad competitor because to be a competitor you actually have to compete. What's funny is the devs actually were actually running the OS on  the iPad because. LAWL.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/19/hps-webos-reportedly-runs-significantly-faster-on-ipad-2-than-on-touchpad/

HP's webOS Reportedly Runs Significantly Faster on iPad 2 Than on TouchPad

HP's startling disclosure yesterday that it is looking into a sale or spinoff of its PC business and is discontinuing its webOS-based hardware program has sent shock waves through the industry. One of the more curious aspects of the move is HP's plans for webOS, the company's mobile operating system that it obtained with last year's $1.2 billion purchase of Palm and relaunched on new Pre smartphones and the TouchPad tablet just months ago.

According to This is my next..., HP informed its webOS team during an all-hands meeting yesterday that it remains committed to the platform, although it is unclear exactly how the company will look to capitalize on it, whether through potential licensing or other means.
In the meeting, webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt made it clear that HP intends to continue to work on webOS and likely intends to license it. DeWitt was adamant, saying several times “We are not walking away from webOS.” He detailed a plan to try to determine what the platform’s future will look like within the next two weeks, although he admitted that “Clearly, we don’t have all the answers today.”

HP executive Todd Bradley noted that with webOS currently designed to work only on Qualcomm-based hardware, potential licensees would most likely be interested in seeing webOS modified to run on other chipsets if HP were to pursue that route.

But many have questioned whether HP will even be able to license webOS to third parties, given that neither Palm nor HP has been able to gain consumer traction with the platform. For its part, HP claims that it sees promise in the software that has been hampered by poor hardware.

On that note, The Next Web reports that HP engineers had gone as far as to test webOS running on an iPad, finding that the operating system ran "over twice as fast" on the iPad 2 as it did on the TouchPad for which it had been designed. Even running as a web app within the iPad 2's Safari browser yielded substantially better performance than on the TouchPad.
The hardware reportedly stopped the team from innovating beyond certain points because it was slow and imposed constraints, which was highlighted when webOS was loaded on to Apple’s iPad device and found to run the platform significantly faster than the device for which it was originally developed.

With a focus on web technologies, webOS could be deployed in the iPad’s Mobile Safari browser as a web-app; this produced similar results, with it running many times faster in the browser than it did on the TouchPad.

The report notes that the TouchPad hardware had essentially already been designed when HP acquired Palm last year, with the engineers tasked with getting webOS running on the existing design. The resulting handicap of outdated hardware reportedly crippled the webOS team's ability to innovate for the tablet platform and ultimately led to the poor market reception.

Regardless of the reasons, the TouchPad clearly did not take off as HP had hoped, and the company quickly pulled the plug on the project as part of its dramatic shift in business focus. The shift leaves the future of webOS unsettled, and while speculation has centered around whether a company like Amazon might be interested in acquiring it for its own use, others have suggested that HP might be better off simply selling off the patent portfolio associated with web OS, a move that could actually result in a profit relative to the company's $1.2 billion acquisition price for Palm.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:41 PM »
just saw this tweet. SO true if you are planning on buying one...

People who are buying the HP TouchPad for $99 need to realize that you're buying a $99 brick. No support from devs, no updates, AS-IS.

Offline TL

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »
]TABLETS EXISTED YEARS BEFORE THE iPAD. APPLE DID NOT INVENT THE TABLET.

Also, no shit it's as is. $99 for a 16GB tablet that will no doubt have plenty of homebrew programs available for it is still a pretty great deal.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »
]TABLETS EXISTED YEARS BEFORE THE iPAD. APPLE DID NOT INVENT THE TABLET.

Also, no shit it's as is. $99 for a 16GB tablet that will no doubt have plenty of homebrew programs available for it is still a pretty great deal.

Tablets existed sure but not in the current incarnation they are now. That started with the iPad and anyone that doesn't see that is either kidding themselves or as blind as anne frank (clerks 2 reference.)  ;)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »
The ipad started the current craze, that is undeniable. Hopefully HP won't drop out of the market. I'd like to see a tablet that isn't horrendously mediocre.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »
People who are buying the HP TouchPad for $99 need to realize that you're buying a $99 brick. No support from devs, no updates, AS-IS.

How does no dev support make it a brick?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:08:32 AM »

Yeah, tjan is totally missing the point here. Probably cause this thread isn't really about the product, it's just another thread about how awesome Apple is and damned be all if anyone disagrees.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »

Yeah, tjan is totally missing the point here. Probably cause this thread isn't really about the product, it's just another thread about how awesome Apple is and damned be all if anyone disagrees.

lol. No it's a brick. If you buy a product knowing there is going to be no support for it... no updates no fixes no APPS. What do you have?

HP is discontinuing their hardware line. They claim they aren't going to do that with webOs but really who the hell is going to buy it from them? Not apple, not motorola, not nokia. That leaves samsung and HTC both of whom are using Android. This OS is DOA and there will be no support for it. It's a brick.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »
No, we're talking about the possibilities for homebrew innovation thanks to cheap hardware. Which is a lot more than you could do with the iPad and honestly, though I think tablets are in general a waste of money, I'm more interested to see a "brick" that's been innovated on by people who actually care about innovation (people who aren't apple, for example) than waiting for the great iPad 3 unveiling where we learn the ipad finally has a fucking USB port or some other thing that everyone knew it should have had to begin with.

/rant

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
No, we're talking about the possibilities for homebrew innovation thanks to cheap hardware. Which is a lot more than you could do with the iPad and honestly, though I think tablets are in general a waste of money, I'm more interested to see a "brick" that's been innovated on by people who actually care about innovation (people who aren't apple, for example) than waiting for the great iPad 3 unveiling where we learn the ipad finally has a fucking USB port or some other thing that everyone knew it should have had to begin with.

/rant

So homebrew "innovations" are instantly better than any iOS developer could do? Nonfuckingsense.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
Wait just a minute now!

I don't think buying a tablet at all really makes sense at this point in the game, unless you're someone who just has gotta have the latest thing. But, at 100 bucks, it could be worth trying for people who aren't sure they want a tablet or not, or for people who like the idea of a tablet but not any of the current OS's. I don't know what you do for a living, but I certainly don't have the cash right now to buy something that seems to have so few inherent advantages over technology I already have (laptop, smartphone).

But, yeah, you're right. I don't like Apple and think they seriously rip their customers off. So what? This isn't the apple thread, so you have no right to bite my head off.  

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:27 AM »

I got a random question maybe some of you can help with. I don't have a tablet, but I've been wanting to buy an Ipad only for the applications like Morphiz and so forth. Are those only for apple products? And if so, would this 100 dollar thing have anything similar?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »

I got a random question maybe some of you can help with. I don't have a tablet, but I've been wanting to buy an Ipad only for the applications like Morphiz and so forth. Are those only for apple products? And if so, would this 100 dollar thing have anything similar?

For right now JR's apps are only for iOS devices, but I remember hearing a rumor they were being ported to Android.  As far as similar apps on WebOS, I wouldn't think there would be considering it's a newer OS.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 12:42:58 AM »

It has no apps. And it won't. That's why it's 99 dollars. They are giving them away because they are discontinuing them. The iPad has all of those apps you probably want and way more.

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 12:44:03 AM »

It has no apps. And it won't. That's why it's 99 dollars. They are giving them away because they are discontinuing them. The iPad has all of those apps you probably want and way more.

Oh I know, I am actually an apple fan, I just don't have 500 bucks to spare.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »
1. Install a tablet linux distro on the TouchPad
2. Access to a world of programs
3. All for 99$

Seems simple enough to me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
Wait just a minute now!

I don't think buying a tablet at all really makes sense at this point in the game, unless you're someone who just has gotta have the latest thing. But, at 100 bucks, it could be worth trying for people who aren't sure they want a tablet or not, or for people who like the idea of a tablet but not any of the current OS's. I don't know what you do for a living, but I certainly don't have the cash right now to buy something that seems to have so few inherent advantages over technology I already have (laptop, smartphone).

But, yeah, you're right. I don't like Apple and think they seriously rip their customers off. So what? This isn't the apple thread, so you have no right to bite my head off.  

Let's get this straight here.... I'm not biting your head off. I just find it a bit offensive that a legit app developer is some how inferior to a homebrew developer considering I am a beginning iOS developer hoping to one day develop for Apple in cupertino. The ipad has only been around for a year and a half and you can almost do anything you can think of on it. I fail to see outside of some fringe things what you'll be able to do with this 99 dollar brick. Remember just yesterday it was 400 and a week before that it was 500. There is a reason they are giving them away now. Check out this article...

HP's webOS Reportedly Runs Significantly Faster on iPad 2 Than on TouchPad

HP's startling disclosure yesterday that it is looking into a sale or spinoff of its PC business and is discontinuing its webOS-based hardware program has sent shock waves through the industry. One of the more curious aspects of the move is HP's plans for webOS, the company's mobile operating system that it obtained with last year's $1.2 billion purchase of Palm and relaunched on new Pre smartphones and the TouchPad tablet just months ago.

According to This is my next..., HP informed its webOS team during an all-hands meeting yesterday that it remains committed to the platform, although it is unclear exactly how the company will look to capitalize on it, whether through potential licensing or other means.
In the meeting, webOS GBU VP Stephen DeWitt made it clear that HP intends to continue to work on webOS and likely intends to license it. DeWitt was adamant, saying several times “We are not walking away from webOS.” He detailed a plan to try to determine what the platform’s future will look like within the next two weeks, although he admitted that “Clearly, we don’t have all the answers today.”

HP executive Todd Bradley noted that with webOS currently designed to work only on Qualcomm-based hardware, potential licensees would most likely be interested in seeing webOS modified to run on other chipsets if HP were to pursue that route.

But many have questioned whether HP will even be able to license webOS to third parties, given that neither Palm nor HP has been able to gain consumer traction with the platform. For its part, HP claims that it sees promise in the software that has been hampered by poor hardware.

On that note, The Next Web reports that HP engineers had gone as far as to test webOS running on an iPad, finding that the operating system ran "over twice as fast" on the iPad 2 as it did on the TouchPad for which it had been designed. Even running as a web app within the iPad 2's Safari browser yielded substantially better performance than on the TouchPad.
The hardware reportedly stopped the team from innovating beyond certain points because it was slow and imposed constraints, which was highlighted when webOS was loaded on to Apple’s iPad device and found to run the platform significantly faster than the device for which it was originally developed.

With a focus on web technologies, webOS could be deployed in the iPad’s Mobile Safari browser as a web-app; this produced similar results, with it running many times faster in the browser than it did on the TouchPad.

The report notes that the TouchPad hardware had essentially already been designed when HP acquired Palm last year, with the engineers tasked with getting webOS running on the existing design. The resulting handicap of outdated hardware reportedly crippled the webOS team's ability to innovate for the tablet platform and ultimately led to the poor market reception.

Regardless of the reasons, the TouchPad clearly did not take off as HP had hoped, and the company quickly pulled the plug on the project as part of its dramatic shift in business focus. The shift leaves the future of webOS unsettled, and while speculation has centered around whether a company like Amazon might be interested in acquiring it for its own use, others have suggested that HP might be better off simply selling off the patent portfolio associated with web OS, a move that could actually result in a profit relative to the company's $1.2 billion acquisition price for Palm.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/19/hps-webos-reportedly-runs-significantly-faster-on-ipad-2-than-on-touchpad/

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »

*Ahem*  https://www.precentral.net/app-gallery

As far as I can tell, they're discontinuing the hardware, not WebOS itself.  Not to mention that likelihood of running Android on it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 12:48:14 AM »

Oh I know, I am actually an apple fan, I just don't have 500 bucks to spare.

If i had more money i would give you mine, unfortunately i'm not rich! But i swear i would!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »

*Ahem*  https://www.precentral.net/app-gallery

As far as I can tell, they're discontinuing the hardware, not WebOS itself.  Not to mention that likelihood of running Android on it.

I addressed the webOS thing a few posts back. How is it going to survive when all other companies are using iOS android and now WindowsMobile7? There is no room for it. Oh and i forgot about Rim. (but apparently everyone else is as well.)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
Dude, no one is saying that homebrew is immediately better than every app available. However, for people who aren't interested in being locked into the Apple world like you are with the ipad, for people who like to tinker, or for people who like the idea of a tablet but aren't willing to pay anywhere near the 500 bucks they cost, this is an awesome opportunity, and the fact that there's no dev support is completely irrelevant.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »
Dude, no one is saying that homebrew is immediately better than every app available. However, for people who aren't interested in being locked into the Apple world like you are with the ipad, for people who like to tinker, or for people who like the idea of a tablet but aren't willing to pay anywhere near the 500 bucks they cost, this is an awesome opportunity, and the fact that there's no dev support is completely irrelevant.

fair enough.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 12:53:12 AM »
iPad is the original, guys. And the HP is just a cover version of the iPad. And covers are never as good as the original.
And it doesn't have 2 million apps such as that one that turns your screen into a mirror, or all of those free Flash games that they charge money for as apps.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 12:55:14 AM »
iPad is the original, guys. And the HP is just a cover version of the iPad. And covers are never as good as the original.
And it doesn't have 2 million apps such as that one that turns your screen into a mirror, or all of those free Flash games that they charge money for as apps.

fair enough. BTW. had did this turn into an apple thread? This is supposed to be brickpad talk!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 12:59:48 AM »
I think it turned into an Apple discussion when your first two posts both mentioned the iPad. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
I think it turned into an Apple discussion when your first two posts both mentioned the iPad. :lol

oh  ;D. Well it's not a secret that the success of the iPad is the main reason this product is being discontinued a month after release and now samsung is literally giving Galaxy tabs away at best buy with the purchase of a TV. It is relevant to the story. But i didn't want it to turn into apple devs vs. not apple devs.  :P

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »

See, while that's funny, you actually could have made the argument that since the Ipad isn't the original tablet, that it's not the most pure and that everyone who wants the Ipad should instead get the original tablet (whatever it is) because it's the best by definition.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 01:12:34 AM »

See, while that's funny, you actually could have made the argument that since the Ipad isn't the original tablet, that it's not the most pure and that everyone who wants the Ipad should instead get the original tablet (whatever it is) because it's the best by definition.

You know what i agree. Fuck the iPad. I'm selling mine and getting a newton instead.

Apple Newton Tablet prototype codename, "Bic" by jimabeles, on Flickr