Author Topic: If DT reaches #1...  (Read 6615 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: If DT reaches #1...
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »
Yeah, didn't know about Lady Antebellum. Really dislike "Need You Now" after liking it for a nanosecond.

I liked it better when it was called Eye in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 05:17:02 AM »
Dream Theater will never have an album reach #1.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:17 AM »
I have no idea who Lady Antebellum is :/

But I'm going to be optimistic and say that it's possible this time around, it really is. If I recall correctly, they were the first topic on twitter to break through the Royal Wedding mania when the drummer was announced, they've made a tonne of new fans with the festival appearance at High Voltage, and (don't quote me on this) they were number 6 on the Amazon pre-order charts last week. That, with all the drama, snippets, and interviews has really added to the hype. People who may have been doubting DT these past few albums will give the new album a try, even people who aren't major fans of DT will be intrigued by the new sound.

They have a chance, they really do.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Apricot

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 05:44:37 AM »
Who the fuck is Lady Antbelly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 05:46:22 AM »
I'm only just vaguely familiar with Lady Gaga, and now there's a Lady Anusbottom too?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:40 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:20 AM »
Yeah, didn't know about Lady Antebellum. Really dislike "Need You Now" after liking it for a nanosecond.

Listen I am no fan of country music at all but that song is fantastic. 

Also, who cares about #1.  DT music isn't about sales though I'd love for them to prosper.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 06:04:40 AM »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
For whatever reason, I find it somewhat amusing when prog and metal fans are just as unaware of pop music as pop music fans are prog and metal.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »

I liked it better when it was called Eye in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project.
Hey, it is pretty close to the same chord progression.  Never caught that before.

For whatever reason, I find it somewhat amusing when prog and metal fans are just as unaware of pop music as pop music fans are prog and metal.  :lol
This.  Lady Antebellum are pretty big (at least here in the States - I have no idea of the appeal of country music internationally).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
This.  Lady Antebellum are pretty big (at least here in the States - I have no idea of the appeal of country music internationally).
Well, there's an awareness of Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, etc., but country music, in general, is something that - in the eyes of the rest of the world - happens to other people. Lady Antebellum's international presence is pretty much zero - on UK shores, anywho. I'm pretty up-together with mainstream music but this is the first I've heard of her.

That said, I can't see Dream Theater punching into the top ten in the UK, Antebellum or no, just 'cause they don't tend to sell quite as well. They made twenty-sixth or twenty-seventh or so last time, vs. the US's sixth. We were down six due to MJ's death (our charts count compilations) but nonetheless. Think they managed 19th-ish with Systematic Chaos. The real threat in the UK is the Red Hot Chilis album, which will have been released the week before, and I figure it'll probably have a bit of longetivity, saleswise. We've got The Kooks and The Drums releasing albums in the UK, which are fairly popular over here. (Although I think one of 'em might be American too?) The Drums are slightly less well-known - I reckon DT could take The Drums - but The Kooks'll probably outstrip Dramatic Turn.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
Lady Antebellum's international presence is pretty much zero - on UK shores, anywho. I'm pretty up-together with mainstream music but this is the first I've heard of her.
It's not a "she" it's a "they."  Like Jethro Tull.  Except not.

TBH, I like the song that's been discussed (Need You Now), but it is a little overplayed.  But such is pop music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Millais

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »
That said, I can't see Dream Theater punching into the top ten in the UK

pretty much this. as much as i'd love to see them in there, it's highly unlikely.

having said that though, ADToE pre-orders on Amazon in the UK are doing extremely well.

#7 of all music pre-orders, for every genre.
#3 of all rock pre-orders. (in front of Opeth's Heritage and behind RHCP and Kasabian - they were #2 the other day. plus i'll be adding my pre-order later  :tup)

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 08:47:35 AM »
While it would be nice to see DT rewarded with a #1 spot, it's not going to happen, and it doesn't really mean much anyway. It would just be a nice moral victory for all of their hard work over the decades.

also a moral victory against bad music

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
ADTOE was #28 on amazon's pre-order chart last night. It's now #23. And it's top on Hard Rock / Metal.

Might have to make a push, but I think they'll get #2.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
They're already #1 (to me).

DT is just not a mainstream type of band. Why do people care so much whether or not they top this list or that chart, sell more albums than Lady Gaga, or appear on Conan??

I guess for me that would be cool because it is an achievement for the band, a reward for all their hard work and great songwriting.

but... isnt hendrix dead?

Yeah, yesterday I discovered that Eric Clapton and him were still alive...

Regarding Lady Antebellum, I knew the band, but the first person who mentioned called them Lady A, which I searched for in Wikipedia. The results were somewhat funny.
I know people call their music country music, but I really don't get that aspect of them... Pretty good pop band in my opinion.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Yeah, it's not happening.  Plus, DT seemed to be getting more metal, which I think helped propel them higher on the charts.  This album seems to be LESS "balls and chunk," which I personally think will = less fans.  Not that it matters.  DT is back to writing music they want to write.  Just the way I like 'em. 

All the sub-genres of metal combined make up less than 1% of total music sales, so I wouldn't say that is necessarily true.

And as far as Lady Antebellum goes, maybe it's time to go outside, folks  :lol. They damn near swept the Grammys and they've got a few songs that are really big.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
Color me an optimist  ;D  I think it's possible.  DT is one of the best for online sales, and with the rabid fanbase, I think it's possible.  Maybe not likely, but possible.  I think cracking the top 5 is very possible.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:11 AM »
I think the top 5 is VERY much possible. :corn
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
Top 5 is perfectly possible. #1? No way.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »
JR RT'd my Ytse Times tweet earlier. It got triple the clicks most my tweets do, ADTOE has gone from 28 to 19 in about 15 hours on amazon's pre-order chart.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
Top 5 is perfectly possible. #1? No way.

Sounds about right. Hopefully it will do comparable to BCASL, maybe better, but they aren't going to beat Lady Antebellum.

Offline Millais

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
JR RT'd my Ytse Times tweet earlier. It got triple the clicks most my tweets do, ADTOE has gone from 28 to 19 in about 15 hours on amazon's pre-order chart.

and now if you look on amazon, ADToE is now at #7 for ALL music pre-orders. incredible!
just realised that Ed Sheeran (an upcoming artist in the UK) is releasing is album the same day as DT and expect that to go pretty high.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »

and now if you look on amazon, ADToE is now at #7 for ALL music pre-orders. incredible!
just realised that Ed Sheeran (an upcoming artist in the UK) is releasing is album the same day as DT and expect that to go pretty high.
This is ABSOLUTELY incredible! We need to keep it up! Keep going BlacknGold and I will do the same on my personal account!

#DTfor1

Online Mladen

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
I think the top 5 is VERY much possible. :corn

Offline John94

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »

Cool stuff, if this does well, I'll take the credit for launching the idea of a campaign :P haha!

In all honesty, it will better BC+SL.

Offline wammabe

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
I'm only just vaguely familiar with Lady Gaga, and now there's a Lady Anusbottom too?

I think its Lady Gaga's replacement, this kind of thing happens every century.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
I believe Lady Antebellum has been around longer than Lady Gaga, or their discography just shows that. lol. And they are not anywhere near Lady Gaga's success in regards to album sales.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
I actually really enjoy Lady Antebellum. I have a strong connection to the song Need You Now, as stupid as it sounds
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Well, they reached #1 in Finland and Hungary with BCSL  ;D Finland's always been metal, so no wonder really.

And if DT's target was to hit #1, they'd write a 40-minute album with radiohits, not an 80-min album with most songs longer than any pop song in a genre that most people are generally unaware of. But of course I want them to reach as high as possible, it would certainly be worth celebrating if a prog metal band hit number one, showing that the world has become more conscious in their choice of music. They would certainly have earned it.