Author Topic: West Memphis Three  (Read 1048 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
West Memphis Three
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/us/20arkansas.html

So it looks like those guys might finally be getting out.  Glad to see it.

What troubles me is the way it appears The State of Arkansas is going about it.  It looks to me like the State's seeking an Alford plea in exchange for their release, which I gather would disallow any claims they might have for their conviction.  In exchange for finally getting out,  they have to agree to let the state off the hook entirely?  Honestly seems like kind of a chickenshit way to go about it,  but of course prosecutors have never been high on my list of favorite people. 

Regardless,  you gotta be happy for those kids. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: West Memphis Three
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:06:27 AM »
To be completely honest, I just heard about these guys a few days ago actually. What happened to them was complete bullshit, and I'm glad that they might finally get out, and if that's what the state is doing, then fuck them. Seriously, you put three kids through years of bullshit, and then you go and try to get them to agree to something like that? Shame on them.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
It's like double jeopardy in a roundabout way if you ask me. Could they take this to a higher court or is that agreement iron-clad with zero wiggle room?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
*Dresses head-to-toe in solid black while listening to ...And Justice For All at 11*  :metal
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
Here is what I struggle to understand. Apparently the prosecution offered the Kennedy plea because with the new DNA evidence, they didn't feel they could win in a new trial. Then the defense should have pushed for a new trial, and given these guys a chance to get some financial renumeration from the state if they got the conviction overturned. I guess there was no guarantee of that happening, and getting out today is better than sitting through another trial, but still.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
After 17 years,  I don't think I'd want to take my chances.  Plus,  compensation for wrongful imprisonment never seems to be too much anyway,  and I don't know if anybody ever wins cases civil cases for such things.  I suspect you'd have to prove that the prosecution acted with malicious intent, or something.  What they will be able to do, hopefully, is sell their story to HBO for a hefty chunk of change. 

Something that I've wondered is if The Man could use some bullshit victim's rights thing to prevent them from making money off of their story.  I'm not sure what laws they have for that, or how the Alford plea would work in relation to it.  Unfortunately,  form what we've seen of the State there,  it wouldn't surprise me for them to pull something like that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
After 17 years,  I don't think I'd want to take my chances.  Plus,  compensation for wrongful imprisonment never seems to be too much anyway,  and I don't know if anybody ever wins cases civil cases for such things.  I suspect you'd have to prove that the prosecution acted with malicious intent, or something.  What they will be able to do, hopefully, is sell their story to HBO for a hefty chunk of change. 

Something that I've wondered is if The Man could use some bullshit victim's rights thing to prevent them from making money off of their story.  I'm not sure what laws they have for that, or how the Alford plea would work in relation to it.  Unfortunately,  form what we've seen of the State there,  it wouldn't surprise me for them to pull something like that.

Seems plausible as long as the bitter assholes who are all sore about having to let these three "heathens" loose don't have their way, yet again, in court regarding (as you said) whether or not they're legally entitled to collecting money regarding their case.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
I'm really pleased to be able to say that they're out. It's sort of surreal. Never thought it would happen, honestly.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
I only found out about their story last year. It's a glorious day, they've let them go.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »
I've never really followed the case closely, but I remember that MP wore a Free The West Memphis 3 shirt. It's an interesting case to say the least. Isn't one of the parents a suspect or something
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:15:57 AM »
^One of the victim's step-peppers if I recall.