Author Topic: Pukkelpop storm  (Read 956 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Pukkelpop storm
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:18 AM »
Just getting this out to other music-lovers, it is truly terrible.

Yesterday was the first day of the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium. However it got hit at around 7PM by a storm of unbelievable magnitude, even though it only lasted for about 15 minutes. 5 people are dead, three more are fighting for their lives and over 100 people are injured. Two stages as well as several structures collapsed, several trees were ripped out of the ground. The festival was supposed to last three days but was called off.

It's a major festival, over 60.000 people were on the festival site during the storm. Global acts like Foo Fighters, Eminem, The Offspring, ... played there. You can check the lineup here: https://www.pukkelpop.be/nl/line-up/allnames

Some images:

Some unbelievable footage:
https://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.1090483

https://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.1090930

Loads more on youtube.
My sister was there and we couldn't reach her or any of her friends because the network was down. About an hour later we had heard that all her friends were alright but they didn't know where she was. It wasn't until two hours later that we heard that they'd found her and that she was okay.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:14:48 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Pukkelpop storm
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
Scary stuff. Same thing happened the other day in Iowa that killed a few people. Glad your friends are OK.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
So crazy
https://youtu.be/uJESZOGjETU

Would you believe it's 6:45 PM?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
WTF....Indiana had this happen last weekend...Happened in Ontario as well (no injuries)

Read an article this week by Peter Frampton. stating that these festivals have 2 choices...either erect a permenant stage..thus it would be structurally stronger or stop bands from using full lighting and sound systems , since a majority of the weight on the temparary stages are from light and sound equipment

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
That looks absolutely terrifying.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »
The stages that collapsed both were covered by a huge tent. The main stage kept standing. Storms like that are not common at all here... I heard from someone living in Hasselt (less than 5km away) that it was barely raining there the time that it happened. So it was extremely concentrated. The storm lasted like 15 minutes... 36 liters per square meter in 20 minutes. The total monthly average is about 60.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:45:22 AM by kári »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
https://youtu.be/JIGiekIW418

fucking insane, check 1:58

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »
I was about to start a thread about this, plus the indianapolis one.

Its insane how this tragedy happened. It could've been prevented if people used common sense and noticed how bad the weather is.

Shame it happened but all we can do is hope we'll learn from this. Respect to the lost fans.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
The stages that collapsed both were covered by a huge tent. The main stage kept standing. Storms like that are not common at all here... I heard from someone living in Hasselt (less than 5km away) that it was barely raining there the time that it happened. So it was extremely concentrated. The storm lasted like 15 minutes... 36 liters per square meter in 20 minutes. The total monthly average is about 60.

I didn't feel like fucking with a calculator but I think that's a 1296-fold increase compared to the average.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
It could've been prevented if people used common sense and noticed how bad the weather is.
How exactly? The weather turned in less than 20 minutes and 15 minutes later the sun was shining again...