Author Topic: A lot on my mind about God/religion  (Read 19435 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: A lot on my mind about God/religion
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »
In Christianity, it's whenever you feel ready for it (it is a conscious decision).

In Catholicism, I believe the ritual is you get baptized as a baby (which you can't consent to, and doesn't make any sense).

Oh cool, thanks for informing me. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
Yeah, and Christianity includes Protestant, Baptist, Methodist (right?), and 30,000 other variations. I was raised Baptist myself, though by the time I joined the forums in '06 I didn't affiliate with any denomination.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
Yeah, and Christianity includes Protestant, Baptist, Methodist (right?), and 30,000 other variations. I was raised Baptist myself, though by the time I joined the forums in '06 I didn't affiliate with any denomination.

Oh I know that, it's just tough at times remembering the minute differences between some of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
In Christianity, it's whenever you feel ready for it (it is a conscious decision).

In Catholicism, I believe the ritual is you get baptized as a baby (which you can't consent to, and doesn't make any sense).

Catholics are Christians.

And not that I endorse the practice of infant baptism, but how does a 7-10 year old or whatever "deciding" to accept the faith and doctrines of Christianity make any more sense?  Especially when you add in the fact that they've almost always been raised in a Christian bubble for their entire meager existence.  Hardly a conscious, independent decision.

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
I never said it made sense at that age either. Just that babies can't make ANY decision. But it's somewhat subjective. 13 years old, though, I felt well-informed so in my experience I have no issue.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
If the baptism is supposed to have the element of "choice", I don't think there is any good time. Almost every Christian was brought up in a Christian family, so there never really is a choice, just like you don't choose your mother tongue.
I think the early Christians were the only ones this baptism really made sense for, since they actively decided to abandon their previous faith.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:18 AM »
I felt well-informed so in my experience I have no issue.

THAT is the problem though.  Anyone of any faith at any time in any place could say the same thing and for them it would legitimize what they belief.  Feeling led to faith, faith led to law.  One's law is not that of another.  And it that lies the root of religious conflict.

The fact that 95% of children of Christians become Christians does not make the faith any more or any less true; the same way the fact that 95% of children born to Muslims does not make it any more or any less true.  In fact, the coincidence should be a glaring example that something is clearly wrong about the source of faith in ones' religion.

*guess-timated stats

Anyhoooo,

I do wish you much luck.  Stepping outside of ones core beliefs can be very tough.  But its critical for ones development and the peaceful development of humanity; just as those early Jews did when they started following a rebel dude named Christ.  If you find yourself back to your original faith or not, than bravo; you have GG'd at life =D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

Eh, I don't think one way is inherently any better than the other. Adolescents don't really make "conscious decisions", do they? If you think about it, the average infant probably makes a louder objecting to having its head randomly dunked in water than the average 12 year old kid does.

Plus, Catholic kids have Confirmation in addition to Baptism. For Catholics, Baptism just gets rid of "original sin." It isn't really a proclamation of faith on the infants behalf, but moreso on behalf of the parents and godparents to guide the child in faith.

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
I never really understood the idea of Baptism.

Is it necessary for salvation?

The Bible says that you are not saved by your actions, but by the grace of Christ, yet if Baptism is a requirement of salvation, wouldn't that constitute an action (being baptized)?

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Baptizing I find to be an interesting area of discussion. I've spoke with people who would be pissed off if there child was baptized without permission. As an atheist it means absolutely nothing to me, if someone baptized my hypothetical kid I couldn't care less. 

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »

The Bible says that you are not saved by your actions, but by the grace of Christ, yet if Baptism is a requirement of salvation, wouldn't that constitute an action (being baptized)?

BC

It's not a requirement of salvation.  PEROID!  That belief comes from "religion" and not the Bible.  Baptism is an expression; a way of proclaiming to the world that you have dedicated your life to Christ.

I have no idea where religions got the whole baby baptism thing cause it's not in the Bible.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

• Meatloaf
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »

BC

It's not a requirement of salvation.  PEROID!  That belief comes from "religion" and not the Bible.  Baptism is an expression; a way of proclaiming to the world that you have dedicated your life to Christ.

I have no idea where religions got the whole baby baptism thing cause it's not in the Bible.

I already get all that,  and I am agreeing with you, but there are many Christians who would argue otherwise.

BC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »
It *is* in the Bible in the sense that Jesus was baptized and his disciples too, right?

<kooky rumborak interpretation alert>
In the context of Jesus' expectation of the Kingdom and the Judgment to be around any day, I don't find it too surprising that they would perform the Jewish ritual of purification by water (Islam has something similar). They wanted to be spiritually clean when standing before God, just like people today dress up when going to church to look favorable to God.

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:15:59 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• Meatloaf
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:19 AM »
Rum, I think that's a pretty accurate interpretation

BC