Author Topic: A lot on my mind about God/religion  (Read 19439 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: A lot on my mind about God/religion
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
Well, this is awkward.

I guess I'm gonna be the oddball here and say that I'm kinda sorry to hear that.  Obviously you've moved closer to my understanding of things, and I can't blame you for that,  but I tend to generally be happy for people who can develop strong beliefs based on faith.  That's a trait I lack, yet see as a generally commendable quality. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
You're sorry? ??? Not sure I follow...

If I ever come back to the faith of Christianity, it would be strong again. I don't see it being a conversion just to being passive at it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »
Personally, I think it's a great thing. Then again, I'm just a teenager so who cares?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
James, how old are you these days? I was about 15 I think when I became agnostic.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
Not to slap you in the face, James, but what are you doing?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:39 PM »
james, I am thankful that you have begun to find that some of the man-made rules that people were holding you to were not Gods rules.  I know you have a great heart and hope that you are able to come through this cloud stronger than before. 
I get the impression that many people who abandon god are merely abandoning the false impression given to them by people proposing to represent god.  My hope for all of them would be that His true presence would shine through the facades.
I know the years I spent in the occult ending up being a hatred for the hypocrisy I saw rather than the actual God.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »

Don't worry, he'll be back on your side soon enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
Have to be honest, yeah, I have that impression too.

rumborak

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that I am agnostic now. I don't know what to believe anymore. Open to whatever. I guess this was inevitable.

I'm choosing only to tell this forum and not anyone in real life yet. I feel like people will give me disappointed words/feelings. I've seen it happen to one of my very good friends who used to be a very strong Christian, and it became obvious that she wasn't anymore, and people talked and seemed really disappointed in that she lost her faith/belief.

Luckily, I don't hang out with much of them anymore, and the ones I do are understanding people. I never thought I'd come to this conclusion, but it happened.
I don't know, I mean, seeing your posts here in the past, and reading again the OP in this thread, I still don't really understand how you got from faithful to now. 

But at any rate, you're still there, and I'm still here, and I'll still answer whenever you call out "Dad?"  So stay strong, and don't close too many doors along the way.

But I don't think any decisions should be made without examining why you were faithful in the first place, and all of the faith experiences you have had along the way.  By saying you are agnostic now, does that mean that none of those things actually happened, even though they were real to you at the time?  I know that you've led worship in the past.  Didn't you think there was something worth worshiping in the first place?

Just food for thought (hopefully).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2011, 07:08:16 AM »

Don't worry, he'll be back on your side soon enough.
Have to be honest, yeah, I have that impression too.

rumborak

Lol at you guys like you think you know me that well that I'm flaky on this. You don't know what I am really going through. I haven't documented every thought of mine. I haven't shared every experience. But good on you all to assume such things.

Not going to post in here again. Thanks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
I'm not accusing you of flakiness. It's really the same that Hef was commenting on; you were a pretty die-hard worshiper up until recently, but now are agnostic.
Now, if you're saying you've been essentially going through the motions for quite a while, or even were trying to convince yourself by proclaiming your faith to the outside (you wouldn't be the first nor the last to do so), I'll take everything back. It just seems very sudden. But, as you said, you don't share every thought with us (and neither should you), so we might be completely misjudging you. If that is the case I apologize.

rumborak

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2011, 07:50:03 AM »
OK, I'll bite.

For the past few months(from the time I stopped going to church), I've been going through the motions. There was some belief there, but it was well on its way to declining, in retrospect. And I never even thought of if I was maybe trying to convince myself...is it possible to become to ingrained in your beliefs at one point to perpetually convince yourself as time goes on? I ask because I wonder if that happened to me.

Yeah, I have to say you guys were misjudging me. I don't share everything here, even if it seems like I do. I do a lot of driving, and many times I'll shut my music off in the car and just think about these things. Too many thoughts to share here, so I don't. Maybe that's why it seems sudden, but over 6 months time, is it really THAT sudden?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
Given the apparent sincerity of your faith...yes.

I still don't understand how or why you got to this point.  But hey, you have to live your life.  And I love you no matter what.  :)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
The level sincerity of anything doesn't matter at all, if you come to a realization, that's all it takes. You can be a die hard believer of anything one day than the next BAM. Something hits you out of the blue and that's it. 

James, what are you agnostic of? Are you using the colloquial agnosticism; as in agnostic atheist or agnostic theist?   

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
Seriously, though, James. If you ever want to talk about this, I'm in. Though we're kinda moving in opposite directions with this (me constantly coming closer to faith, you drifting further away) I feel like we kinda meet in the middle here.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
I have great respect for ya, man.
I keep picturing in my mind a battle scene.  The enemy has us surrounded.  I am in looking out a window from a blown out building and bullets are flying everywhere.  You are in the middle of the street wounded.  Shots keep passing by you so that you can't get up.  I would love to run out and get you but it isn't safe yet.  My hope is that the bullets will stop long enough for you to get up and come in.  The enemy keeps taking us out one by one and I hate to lose another comrade to them.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
Given the apparent sincerity of your faith...yes.

I still don't understand how or why you got to this point.  But hey, you have to live your life.  And I love you no matter what.  :)

It was sincere for a long time. Don't doubt that. But like el jonno said, it can be quicker than you may think. I guess that is me. Also, thank you for extending your hand, dad.

el jonno, i guess i am just agnostic in that i'm not sure what to believe, though i don't believe in god anymore.

thank you yeshua and PC, glad to have you guys there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »
I keep picturing in my mind a battle scene.  The enemy has us surrounded.  I am in looking out a window from a blown out building and bullets are flying everywhere.  You are in the middle of the street wounded.  Shots keep passing by you so that you can't get up.  I would love to run out and get you but it isn't safe yet.  My hope is that the bullets will stop long enough for you to get up and come in.  The enemy keeps taking us out one by one and I hate to lose another comrade to them.

It's a bit of a shame if you frame it that way. I think a lot of questionable world events result from this feeling of religious groups being besieged, where it's really not necessary. Being agnostic isn't the plague.

rumborak

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
I agree that people can get paranoid and "overly-religious"
but I also am reminded of the warning that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  you may not believe this spiritual battle is going on, but I do.
and I never said agnosticism is the plague  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »
I understand what yeshua means, I used to think that way actually. I'm cool with it :)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
It just seems that the religious people here are almost trying to make James feel guilty. I understand that those of us who are nontheists might be encouraging him on his current path, but it just seems a bit odd that things like these:

are being said. It just seems like a slap in the face to what James has been working toward. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly happy that one more person has seem to shake off religion from his life, but if James were an agnostic and decided to be a born-again Christian, I wouldn't be all like, "Man, you're joining the enemy. Get back on the side of science, logic, and reason!" I'd say, "Whatever works bro."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
It just seems that the religious people here are almost trying to make James feel guilty. I understand that those of us who are nontheists might be encouraging him on his current path, but it just seems a bit odd that things like these:

are being said. It just seems like a slap in the face to what James has been working toward. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly happy that one more person has seem to shake off religion from his life, but if James were an agnostic and decided to be a born-again Christian, I wouldn't be all like, "Man, you're joining the enemy. Get back on the side of science, logic, and reason!" I'd say, "Whatever works bro."

And i'd just leave it at the bit I bolded.  Right now the thread just looks like a passive-aggressive tug-of-war between theists and agnostics with James as the rope. 

But anyways, James, just do whatever you think will make you the happiest, healthiest person you can be, whatever that is. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
but I also am reminded of the warning that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  you may not believe this spiritual battle is going on, but I do.

Well, from my side those kinds of prophetic statements ring the alarm bell of manipulation. I mean, what they do is to cause believers to consider any outside ("heretical") thought as an assault on their faith. It serves a purpose of course; it keeps integrity and homogeneity in the group. But every time I hear those statements I feel us agnostics take the higher ground; we don't have to put our "members" into a mindset of battling outsiders who are attacking us. We let the message speak for itself.

rumborak

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
And i'd just leave it at the bit I bolded.  Right now the thread just looks like a passive-aggressive tug-of-war between theists and agnostics with James as the rope. 
It's not really, James made the thread for our input. Otherwise why make a thread at all? 

Well, from my side those kinds of prophetic statements ring the alarm bell of manipulation. I mean, what they do is to cause believers to consider any outside ("heretical") thought as an assault on their faith. It serves a purpose of course; it keeps integrity and homogeneity in the group. But every time I hear those statements I feel us agnostics take the higher ground; we don't have to put our "members" into a mindset of battling outsiders who are attacking us. We let the message speak for itself.

rumborak

That is the nice thing about not being part of a religion, you are free to do whatever without looking at everything through the lens of religion. When agnostics/atheists do get together it is usually to here speakers talk about the struggles of being in a religion or it's about science and what we know in reality. Other than that there are no restrictions on your life at all due to a religion.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
no chains on my end...I am completely free to do what I want.  I just choose to follow the creator.

if someone was merely talking about not liking DT or something, I would quickly say "whatever makes you happy."  this discussion has eternal consequences.

as I stated earlier, I respect James and will be his friend no matter what.  however, because I believe we are in a battle for our lives, I can't just post "whatever makes you happy dude"

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

No disrespect intended, and I don't suggest that you fit this mold, but many Christians, including those in my church, use this as a trump card for any difficult situation. Crisis of faith? It's the devil. Got a cold? The devil. Rained on your barbecue? Yep, it's the devil. I don't think it's theologically sound and gives skeptics ammunition.

Life just sort of sucks sometimes and people are entirely to blame for that fact.

rumborak

It's unfortunate, pisses me off as much it does agnostics and atheists.  I wish believers would let their ideas speak for themselves.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »

No disrespect intended, and I don't suggest that you fit this mold, but many Christians, including those in my church, use this as a trump card for any difficult situation. Crisis of faith? It's the devil. Got a cold? The devil. Rained on your barbecue? Yep, it's the devil. I don't think it's theologically sound and gives skeptics ammunition.

Life just sort of sucks sometimes and people are entirely to blame for that fact.

that is what I was actually referring to in being paranoid and "overly religious."  I often think of Peter who warned to "be sober, be watchful for your adversary the Devil prowls about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour." (I Pet 5:8).  Those first two words represent the two opposite pole reactions to the spiritual battle.  "be sober" is the opposite of being paranoid (which you well described examples of), but the opposite pole is not being watchful and aware that there is a spiritual battle.  hard balance to find, indeed, but scripture is pretty clear that there is a spiritual battle.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »

but scripture is pretty clear that there is a spiritual battle.
Not if you're a preterist.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
In a weird twist of fate, my sister apparently got baptized today. Before that she was a nonbeliever.

Online Adami

« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
In a weird twist of fate, my sister apparently got baptized today. Before that she was a nonbeliever.

Is your family religious? Weren't you guys baptized as children?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2011, 01:49:47 PM »
My brother and I were baptized when I was 13 and he was 11. And it seemed like everyone else was very superficial about it except me (I don't know, that is what it seemed like).

Online Adami

« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
Interesting. Isn't it the norm though to be baptized as kids?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
Depends.  Many Protestants oppose the notion of child baptism.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
In Christianity, it's whenever you feel ready for it (it is a conscious decision).

In Catholicism, I believe the ritual is you get baptized as a baby (which you can't consent to, and doesn't make any sense).