Author Topic: Thinking of getting into PC Recording!  (Read 3248 times)

Offline keysmann

Thinking of getting into PC Recording!
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
I need some advice. I have been recording my music for the past 10 years in old archaic ways in a home studio. I am thinking of going into PC Recording. What is the best way I can do it and not break the bank? You know......the whole,"my wife will kill me" thing. Thanks for any advice you can give. ???

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: Thinking of getting into PC Recording!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
Mac  :tup

but i dont know much with PC recording myself, being a Mac man.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 05:00:03 AM »
PC is hard, I tried a lot, from advanced stuff like Cubase to easy stuff like Cool Edit.
Never tried Mac, is it easier?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:05 AM »
Logic Pro on mac is so easy to use, for me its kind of a halfway house between lower end stuff like Audacity and higher end stuff like, say Cubase.  Pretty much everytime I go to a studio or hear about a local band recording it'll all be on mac.  It seems to be the way to go for recording from what I've seen but I'm not the most knowlegable.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 05:13:42 AM »
PC is hard, I tried a lot, from advanced stuff like Cubase to easy stuff like Cool Edit.
Never tried Mac, is it easier?

The same program would be the same difficulty to use on either PC or Mac, so unless you're using a Mac specific program, it's not worth switching only for that purpose.
If you find Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition too difficult to use though, well it doesn't get any easier than those to use for basic multi-track recording. You should stick with it to learn the basics before you go and invest in anything more. And a lot of people here work with music and recording programs, so we can always help. :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »
Thanks Blob, do you recommend something to read that can help me though?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »
difficulty would yes be the same, but programs like protools seem to just run smoother and better on a mac system, at least in my experience and that of those i know.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
You know, I think you should download Mixcraft from www.acoustica.com and try it out. The trial is around 16 days or so, and I've found it to be a great program. You can keep using it after the trial runs out, but you can't mix down. Once you get the hang of it, you should have a general understanding of how those programs work.

BTW: What I do is once the trial runs out, instead of mixing down with the program, I use Krystal to record the stereo mix, while the Mixcraft track is playing. Good way to get around the trial period.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
I don't know if it's the most intuitive for someone who's new to the program, but from an economic point of view, I have to recommend Cubase Essential, the cheapest Cubase version. It's quite enough firepower for most one-man projects, and it's fairly cheap. The basic functions aren't that hard to figure out, and the rest you find out as you go. If you outgrow the Essential version, upgrading is quick and easy.

Add to that a great value interface like the Audiophile 2496 or a small external Presonus box, and some decent speakers, and you're all set.

Offline keysmann

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46:26 PM »
Fuzzboy BlobVanDam and Icebear,
Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate them. When it comes to computer recording I am a novice. Many years ago I had some king of interface and program. It's been so long I don't remember the name. But it had horrible lattency problems it drove me nuts. I will check out the items you all spoke of. Thanks again for your help.  :metal

Rich

p.s. Blob- I may take you up on that offer of help when I find something.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
It depends on what you want to do.  If you're just screwing around, there a few possibilities, some of them even free, like Audacity (free recording program).  If you're actually planning on making real music, then here's some advice:

Firstly, assuming you want to get into this semi-seriouisly, you'll need a recording interface.  Don't use the crappy built-in soundcard on your computer (Realtek, for instance).  Those things are ok for listening to music, but weren't designed for recording.  So, you'll get cracks and pops and latency and a generally awful sound.  An interface is something that usually plugs into your computer via USB or firewire and acts as a soundcard (for recording and playback).  

You can spend thousands on an interface, depending on how many features you want, but if you're looking for a budget one, M-Audio, Presonus and a few other companies make interfaces that are in the $100-$200 range and are GREAT quality for home recording.  I use a Presonus Inspire, myself that I paid $200 for - and, BTW, it came with Cubase LE, a lite version of Cubase.  A lot of companies bundle their products with the lite versions of recording software as a perk so you buy their products.  So, you pay $200 bucks or so and you get the interface and the software.  Not a bad deal!

Secondly, again, assuming you're into this somewhat seriously - get a pair of monitors.  Listening to your music and mixing it on computer speakers and other stuff is not a good idea.  When I first got into recording, I made this mistake and I always wondered why my music sounded awful whenever I burned it to a CD and brought it somewhere else.  Well, the reason is this: computer speakers aren't flat; they color the sound by adding bass/ treble, etc.  They make exisiting music sound good.  

Monitors on the other hand are completely flat.  That's what you want when you mix, so you get the most accurate representation of what your music sounds like.  That way, when you mix, it'll ALWAYS sound that way (or extremely close to that) whether you play it in the car, CD player, etc.  

I bought my Samson monitors for about $200 as well, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper.  People are always selling these recording interfaces and monitors, etc. on Craigslist, too.  So, you might be able to save even more money there by check it out where you live.  

I won't get into microphones and the whole guitar amp modeler vs. real tube amp debate yet.  :)

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline keysmann

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
SnakeEyes,
I have monitors already. Along with mic's, guitars, keys, amps and modelers. I have a small 8 track studio. I wanted to get more tracking space that is why I've decided to go with this idea. I write Kansas, Spock's Beard, Old Genesis, and UK style progressive music. I am permanently disabled with (2) nerve diseases that effect my upper body, arms, and hands. I am kinda in a rush to finish my latest CD because of this medical mess. The disease works in a really screwed up way. The more I use my arms and hands, the quicker I use the use of them. The best part(?) :( I have been a pianist/keyboardist since I was 4. Sorry about that. Well, anyway thanks for your help.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »
SnakeEyes: I was wondering if you've tried Headphones when recording because I'm interested in using only those as I have to be kinda quiet at the moment, will definitely buy monitors down the road though?

Also, I was glad to find a thread on what interface to use as well, might try one of those.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
difficulty would yes be the same, but programs like protools seem to just run smoother and better on a mac system, at least in my experience and that of those i know.

Avid, the manufacturer of ProTools, does, indeed cater more to the Mac.  In fact, I am giving up my Windows-based computer this week in favor of a Mac because I've been having a lot of problems with audio drop-outs on my Windows PC with ProTools 10.  I'm sick of doing retakes so I decided to get this Mac Pro instead.

With that said, I've been recording on Windows for almost 7 years now and generally speaking haven't had a whole lot of problems until now.  But I was using Cakewalk Sonar prior to just a few months ago.  I switched to ProTools because all of the people I work with are using it and it just makes sending stuff to my producer and studio engineer a lot more convenient.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
As far as software is concerned, I've used Audacity a good bit and it is fairly easy to use.  And it's free.

https://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/