Author Topic: am i the only one who doesn't like SFAM and I&W?  (Read 10360 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: am i the only one who doesn't like SFAM and I&W?
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »
Learning to Live sounds like wank? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:06 AM »
Learning to Live sounds like wank? :lol :lol :lol :lol
This. Seriously.

You say you were blown away by The Ministry of Lost Souls. And you complain about supposed wank in other songs. LOLWUT!?

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
Ministry of Lost Souls is so much the definition of wank, I start wanking every time I hear it just to try and distract myself from the horror of the wankery taking place. (Protip: it doesn't work because nothing can outwank TMoLS, so in the end you're better off just smashing your penis with a ball ping hammer in hopes of somehow escaping the mind numbing wankery that calls into question the very purpose of human existence in the galaxy).

Have I mentioned how much I hate tmols? Prefering it over even the silence BETWEEN the tracks on I&W or SFAM is just  :-\ to me...
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
Images has some great parts, mainly the last 4 tracks, but pmu, ad, ttt and surrounded Im not as crazy about as some others. Scenes however, I love from start to finish, though I find it better to listen to as a complete album. So youre certainly not alone, though I would think the majority of fans would have at least one of those in thier top tier dt..

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
Though Scenes is my favourite album and I also love I&W, I get that many people prefer other albums (from DT or other bands). But to not like them at all? I'm not sure how that's possible...
Btw, it's really weird how you like Finally Free, because that is my favourite track from the CD. So that makes me wonders if you just have higher standards than me.
On second thought, that was heresy, I'm going to go listen to Scenes 5 times as repentance.

P.S. I'm one of those few people who actually quite likes The Ministry of Lost Souls. Sure, there's room for improvement and it is somewhat inconsistent, but I like the consistent parts so much as to overlook its flaws.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
I'm not going to laugh at you because I've got a few unorthodox opinions (I think the song Octavarium is pretty lame), but what I don't get is how you rank Systematic Chaos at 3, and Octavarium at 10. They don't seem different enough to be that far apart in the rankings.

And please stop saying wank. It's annoying.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
I'm not going to laugh at you because I've got a few unorthodox opinions (I think the song Octavarium is pretty lame), but what I don't get is how you rank Systematic Chaos at 3, and Octavarium at 10. They don't seem different enough to be that far apart in the rankings.

They're very different albums. Systematic Chaos is a pretty heavy metal focused album, with more of the shred and instrumental stuff, plus the fantasy lyrics. Octavarium is a diverse album with not a lot of focus on heaviness, aside from a couple of tracks, different lyrical themes, and generally a lot more concise song structures. I actually don't see a lot of comparison, except for some of the heavier sections.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
IaW is their 4th best IMO

SFAM is their 7th or 8th

So, sorta

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »
Are you the only one?  No.

Are you the only Dream Theater fan that doesn't like those two albums?  Yes (or pretty darn close to it)

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »

They're very different albums. Systematic Chaos is a pretty heavy metal focused album, with more of the shred and instrumental stuff, plus the fantasy lyrics. Octavarium is a diverse album with not a lot of focus on heaviness, aside from a couple of tracks, different lyrical themes, and generally a lot more concise song structures. I actually don't see a lot of comparison, except for some of the heavier sections.

Well, to me it's when the band started repeating themselves. I don't think Panic Attack and Sacrificed Sons would sound out of place on SC, or Prophets of War and The Ministry of Lost Souls on Octavarium. I'm not saying they're exactly the same or anything. It just seems weird that someone could think Octavarium is terrible but SC is one of DT's best albums. 
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 09:59:29 AM »
I&W is 6th for me.

Offline Apricot

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
I hate to cause something here...but why is it when I made a thread a while back asking if anyone agrees that TDEN had awful lyrics, it was locked for calling it 'awful', yet this thread remains unlocked and he's called a few songs wank?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

Well, to me it's when the band started repeating themselves. I don't think Panic Attack and Sacrificed Sons would sound out of place on SC, or Prophets of War and The Ministry of Lost Souls on Octavarium. I'm not saying they're exactly the same or anything. It just seems weird that someone could think Octavarium is terrible but SC is one of DT's best albums.  

Some songs could fit alright, but I'd say at least half of each album sounds nothing like the other. They're definitely different enough overall for me to see no problem with liking one and disliking the other. Octavarium, TALW, IWBY, NE could definitely not be on SC, and I think Forsaken, TDEN, ITPOE could not possibly be on 8V. That's over half of each album right there (by time, not tracks obviously). For more of a metal fan, I can see someone loving SC but disliking Octavarium, and vice versa.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
Some songs could fit alright, but I'd say at least half of each album sounds nothing like the other. They're definitely different enough overall for me to see no problem with liking one and disliking the other. Octavarium, TALW, IWBY, NE could definitely not be on SC, and I think Forsaken, TDEN, ITPOE could not possibly be on 8V. That's over half of each album right there (by time, not tracks obviously). For more of a metal fan, I can see someone loving SC but disliking Octavarium, and vice versa.

They're my two least favorite DT albums. When I first heard SC, I liked it a little more than Octavarium, but I didn't hear as much change as I was used to or wanted between DT albums. They both have a very Muse style song, a bunch of lyrics that bug the hell out of me, etc. That's just my opinion and you obviously don't agree, so let's get back to the thread topic:

DJENTLEMEN, Y U NO LIKE I&W AND SFAM
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
It's not that crazy, Images is my second favorite, but SFAM is probably my least favorite or second least favorite.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »
Um... Really?

This begs the question are you really a DT fan? I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that most of the songs you dislike, or don't listen to, are fucking DT classics.

So....

Yes, you are the only one.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline unspoken

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
I bet that your first DT album was probably ToT or any of the albums released since... If you commenced listening to DT's more "heavy" or "metal" stuff  I guess that it will be long before you really enjoy SFAM and their previous albums.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
You are demented.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
I don't really care that much for SFaM. I can think of a few songs that are really great (THE, Home, SDV (no, not Space Dye Vest), and some more I probably will think of later) but I really don't care for the rest, especially (especially!) BTL, althougb the LaB version was pretty good for some reason.

As for Images and Words, there isn't a single bad song on it. Surrounded doesn't get much love compared to the others but I think it's a mindblowing song on everyone's part, especially JLB and KM.

And yes, maybe I do have some odd tastes, like how I really love SC but hate BC&SL and Octavarium bores me to death besides Intervals and Razor's Edge, but I like being different.  :millahhhh
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline Liberation

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
I find it rather funny that if someone has a strong opinion about something then "it just your opinion man" but if someone says something unpopular, there's something looking like a riot preparing that looks like trying to shout him to death. (And it doesn't seem playful or a joke even slightly)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
I don't like IAW as much as I used to.  I think other albums are better.  But I've never hated SFAM.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
I think it all depends on when/how you were first introduced to DT. My first experience was I&W and ACOS, which I still adore both. Didn't really care much for Awake, and FII was 50/50 to me. So when SFAM came out, it was a breath of fresh air. SFAM to this day is the best album I've ever heard. Period.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
I don't go bat crazy about AD, TTT, Metropolis and UAGM as others do, but it is 5th in my rankings. SFAM is great too, but BTL the instrumental sections seems to run for too long, although it has amazing vocals. TDOE and SDV really get the least plays, I don't know guess I'm not really into them as much as I was.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jyoung320

• Trapped inside this OCTOQUARIUM! (Misheard lyrics)
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
I smell a troll. *takes deep breath*. Yup definitely a troll. Coupled with the display picture,  :facepalm:

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
I find it rather funny that if someone has a strong opinion about something then "it just your opinion man" but if someone says something unpopular, there's something looking like a riot preparing that looks like trying to shout him to death. (And it doesn't seem playful or a joke even slightly)

Yep. Say you put a less appreciated song from I&W in your top 5, or you say Octavarium is overrated, everyone's like "That's awesome, I love seeing different opinions!" Say you don't think Learning To Live is amazing, and it's another story. People love to see people giving different opinions about DT than expected - just as long as you stay within a certain narrow range and don't go against anything actually popular.

But yeah to the OP, if you've got I&W as your #5 then I don't see what's so against the norm. Although there are loads of people who think I&W is one of their best (I'm one as well), there are plenty who don't but still like it. Same with SFAM (it's definitely not in my top 3 or anything, it's about equivalent with BC&SL).

Offline Demolition

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 02:23:08 PM »
I think it all depends on when/how you were first introduced to DT. My first experience was I&W and ACOS, which I still adore both. Didn't really care much for Awake, and FII was 50/50 to me. So when SFAM came out, it was a breath of fresh air. SFAM to this day is the best album I've ever heard. Period.

I started with the same 2 and still like ACOS but I never listen to I&W anymore. When SFAM came out DT started getting a little heavier which is more to my tastes.  I still listen to SFAM like it but it isn't in my top 3.  

Offline teoevans

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
You need a good psychoanalyst Victoria! :hat

Offline Liberation

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »

Yep. Say you put a less appreciated song from I&W in your top 5, or you say Octavarium is overrated, everyone's like "That's awesome, I love seeing different opinions!" Say you don't think Learning To Live is amazing, and it's another story. People love to see people giving different opinions about DT than expected - just as long as you stay within a certain narrow range and don't go against anything actually popular.
My thoughts exactly.