Author Topic: Choosing Dental Insurance  (Read 627 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Choosing Dental Insurance
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
What's the best way to go about getting good dental insurance? I found this site that listed some local options

https://www.dentalinsurance.com/di/web/quote/PlanSummary.aspx

But is this how to find dental insurance? I have no clue and need to get it

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Choosing Dental Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
The only time I've had a dental plan it was offered through my job and I had no choice in the matter.  What I do know about them is that you generally will have two options.  The cheaper plans that take effect immediately will only cover you by using an in network dentist, and I gather that many dentists choose not to participate in them.  I know that mine doesn't.  I would suspect that younger ones who are just starting out affiliate themselves with such programs, but well established dentists have no need.  Plans that allow you to select your own dentist tend to A. be more expensive, and B. require a waiting period before things are covered.  You'll have to pay into the system for a year or two before major procedures are covered. 

From what I recall,  you had an issue you needed taken care of pronto, and didn't have a dentist or know how to find one.  I suspect that would make you a great candidate for one of the discount cards or HMO programs, since they'll narrow down your options considerably.  Look at those plans,  find one you can afford with decent benefits, and then get the list of participating dentists.  From there you can research some that might work for you. 

In my case,  I'm highly loyal to my dentist, so I'm not looking for anybody new.  That said,  looking over that site has lead me to believe that a decent PPO program is actually fairly affordable.  I will be giving good thought into possibly signing up for one.  Glad you brought that to my attention. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »
Probably a stupid question but more for confirmation, but removing a tooth isn't a major procedure, right?

Even the first option seems like a good pick...to be stupidly honest I never got my tooth taken care of because I could deal with chewing with only one side of my mouth...but with school money coming in I was thinking of just getting insurance anyway and having it done once it kicks in. I can deal for another 2 weeks (hasn't been that bad actually) if I have to. Even another month.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
Probably does qualify as a major procedure. I believe if you click on the details part of any of those plans,  you should find a breakdown somewhere.  That said,  if all you're looking for is to have one popped out,  then there's not really any problem with finding a network dentist.  That's not one of those things that requires a tremendous amount of expertise.  Just do some research and find one that'll dope you up real good, and for an extraction,  nitrous is damned important--gotta have nitrous.  Pain's a simple enough thing to deal with.  The psychological component of some asshole ripping teeth out of your mouth with a pair of vice grips is something that really necessitates an altered state of consciousness.   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »
I think I need what's called an extraction, because something (gonna guess a nerve) is ultra sensitive. On the very first option it's $20...I can call dental offices though to find out what I need exactly...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
Extraction is simply extracting the tooth, and is always the last resort.  Depending on how important a tooth it is, and whether it's still otherwise usable,  they might well want to leave it in there and just take care of whatever problem it's having.  It's possible that a simple filling might resolve the issue, or they might do a root canal and put a crown in there.  Either way,  they'd probably prefer to find a way to treat the tooth while still leaving it in there and usable.  Either way,  I suspect you're talking about a major procedure. 

Were it me,  I'd just pick the plan with the best terms.  Go to their website and find the list of dentists that they work with.  Then research a bunch of them and find out what other patients think. 
E.F. Benson