Author Topic: Buffet Says: Tax the Mega Rich  (Read 16222 times)

Offline William Wallace

Re: Buffet Says: Tax the Mega Rich
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »
But that doesn't explain why existing in a community entitles some people to the income of others.

Because without living in that community, or using that community in some way, there would be no income to be taxed. You can't sell nobody anything to make a profit, you can't sell nobody a service.
But making a profit requires a voluntary exchange. Nobody is being used. One party sells a product or service to another party in exchange for money, because both see that they will benefit from the transaction.

Do you honestly think some people deserve hundreds of millions of dollars for investing well in the stock market?
Provided they didn't behave unethically, yes, every penny.
What kind of work was accomplished?
The necessary capital was provided so the work could be carried out. Quite an accomplishment I'd say.

All the work would be done by other people, by the members of the companies they invested in, by the workers hired, etc. Yes, it's a valuable service that we need, but it is not so valuable to deserve hundreds and thousands of times as much money as the common worker.
Yes, it is worth much more than the common worker. If investors risk their own money to fund an enterprise, they should get the biggest return, having made the whole thing possible. Can you provide a logical explanation for why Joe factory worker deserves as much as the individual who forwent consumption to save money and wisely invest it? Of course this doesn't mean that the guy who drives a forklift around the factory is a loser, but the services he provides are not worth as much in economic terms as the guy who fronted $50 million to build the factory.

Do you think the corrupt bankers who have exploited the US government, bet against the stock market, etc, deserve their money?
You've admitted in this thread that most rich people don't fit this description, so why dwell on it? But, no, I don't. If they're corrupt, like break-the-law corrupt, they deserve a lengthy jail sentence.

And are you still disagreeing that being a member of society is a privilege, or just how I use that to defend my position?
The former. It's a sucky premise, so however you attempt to defend it will suck equally.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »
we should refocus where the taxes that are already paid are spent.

This is the biggest problem, is the way the tax money is spent.  The US federal government has proven itself over the years to be horribly bloated, wasteful, and inefficient, and is a complete and total failure at running the social programs which many of us would otherwise support.  There are several reasons for this, but that discussion is probably beyond the scope of this thread.

You're correct that it's somewhat off topic but, ultimately it all ties in together. My argument is that by refocusing the way the tax money is spent would partially be stream lining the services that are provided. Another example would be getting rid of certain subsidies that benefit nobody. I read recently that we pay an overseas cotton operation several millions of dollars each year because of some law that has been in the books since the 1920's/30's. (I can't remember the article but, I can try to track it down if you're curious) I realize that's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things but, it's just one example.

Somebody is getting rich off of this shit. All the money isn't going to the poor "moochers" that the right likes to focus on. No-bid government contracts, wastefull military programs like the jet engine that's being built in my home state that the pentegon wants nothing to do with and bank/corporate bail-outs all need to take a hike. The money is being taken from the people that earned it and need it the most (the ever shrinking middle class) and landing in some fuck's wallet that did nothing to earn it.

I should also mention the foriegn aid that we piss away in this country just so we can maintain our empire. Mean while, we piss in our own citizenry's face and allow our children's educations to go down the shitter. It gets old watching this shit going on and knowing that there's nothing you can do about it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
Scheavo, are we like soulmates or something?  Because we agree on everything. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
But that doesn't explain why existing in a community entitles some people to the income of others.
Because without living in that community, or using that community in some way, there would be no income to be taxed. You can't sell nobody anything to make a profit, you can't sell nobody a service.
But making a profit requires a voluntary exchange. Nobody is being used. One party sells a product or service to another party in exchange for money, because both see that they will benefit from the transaction.

So? I really don't see why the fact that no one forced someone to actually buy a product means that the person who profited doesn't do so becuase of society at large. Remember, I'm not saying they aren't entitled to a large portion of what they do make; I'm saying what they do make is only possible becuase society exists, becuase individuals come together and work together. My daily life is constantly effected by the decisions other people make; large unemployment in a society effects everyone, because in order for me to be able to buy the things I want, I need a large group than just myself demanding it. In order for me to sell anything and stay afloat requires me to have customers with jobs, who are educated, who have access to roads and transportation, etc,etc, etc.  Even you implicitly use this logic to support your argument. At the most minimum and basic level, you have to be thankful to society for giving you the language to make it possible for you to communicate with other members of society so that you can even sell anything at all. Society is what makes it possible for two people to come together and perform an economic activity.

More than that, I challenge your assumption that it is always a voluntary exchange. No one person may be forcing someone to buy a product, but reality certainly does. I don't control the fact that I get hungry and thirsty, I don't control the fact that without shelter I'm more likely to die. It's pretty hard for me not to support Monsanto, I don't voluntarily support them... according to your argument, then, they are not entitled to all of that wealth becuase it's not voluntary.

Do you honestly think some people deserve hundreds of millions of dollars for investing well in the stock market?
What kind of work was accomplished?
The necessary capital was provided so the work could be carried out. Quite an accomplishment I'd say.

The fallacy is to think that the necessary capital is purely monetary, a number of a ledgerbook, or that the necessary capital has to be found in that one investor. Imagine a rich person who can't hire anybody; their capital would mean absolutely nothing. Capital and money have the power to direct human labor, and it's the human labor that actually do all the work involved. I mean seriously, the work can't be carried about by nobody.  

To entertain an analogy; it's like a driver and a car. Without the driver, the car goes nowhere, and the work of going from point A to point B would not be possible (no one to start the engine, no one to direct it, etc). What you would be doing is taking this fact to then say that the car doesn't matter, that somehow the engine doesn't matter. Obviously, you need the car and the driver - and for any enterprise to be undertaken, you need someone with the idea as well as the workers who actually make that idea happen.

All the work would be done by other people, by the members of the companies they invested in, by the workers hired, etc. Yes, it's a valuable service that we need, but it is not so valuable to deserve hundreds and thousands of times as much money as the common worker.
Yes, it is worth much more than the common worker. If investors risk their own money to fund an enterprise, they should get the biggest return, having made the whole thing possible. Can you provide a logical explanation for why Joe factory worker deserves as much as the individual who forwent consumption to save money and wisely invest it? Of course this doesn't mean that the guy who drives a forklift around the factory is a loser, but the services he provides are not worth as much in economic terms as the guy who fronted $50 million to build the factory.

The people and the workers make the whole thing possible as well. Employees someimtes risk their own well-being, and their own happiness, to make an enterprise actually happen. Why isn't that worthy of a return? Seems to me someone who sacrificed 8 hours a day to a job he doesn't want to do, for food and shelter to feed his loved ones, is sacrificing a hell of a lot more than the rich person sitting in an office coming up with an idea of how to spend his extra income. Investors invest because they have the opportunity to do so, becuase they've accumulated enough wealth to do so; it is not something special to themselves as a person, only indicative of the place they hold in society.

Without the workers and the employee's, an investors idea is nothing more than an idea. We need idea's, but we also need people to produce those idea's into actuality.

One reason you say that the forklift driver's work is not as economically important is because he's replaceable, yes? Two things: the capital wouldn't be destroyed if we taxed the person, it would simply change hands; more importantly though, the fact that he's replaceable is becuase of society, becuase there are plenty of other people who could do that work. You can only make the claim that the forklift operator isn't vitally important becuase of society; imagine a replacement isn't so easily attainable, becuase society isn't as well-functioning as our own.

Do you think the corrupt bankers who have exploited the US government, bet against the stock market, etc, deserve their money?
You've admitted in this thread that most rich people don't fit this description, so why dwell on it? But, no, I don't. If they're corrupt, like break-the-law corrupt, they deserve a lengthy jail sentence.

Most people don't fit the description of a murderer, does that mean I should ignore their existence? Also, a lot of the people who are getting rich today, the same people I want to tax, are people who have profited from such corrupt action. Warren Buffet invested in Goldman Sachs, didn't he? And we all know what Goldman Sachs is. If you ask me, the unevenness to our wealth distribution if a sign of just how corrupt things are. There are systemic problems with our system and how we compensate people for their work.

I'm also using this to show that just becuase someone earns money does not mean that the money is fairly earned. Isn't that important in why we shouldn't tax people?

And are you still disagreeing that being a member of society is a privilege, or just how I use that to defend my position?
The former. It's a sucky premise, so however you attempt to defend it will suck equally.

It's not a premise, it's a verifiable fact. If you don't think being a member of society is a privilege, go murder someone, then get back to me when you're on death row.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Scheavo, are we like soulmates or something?  Because we agree on everything. :lol

Unless you're being very misleading with your name and you have a vagina, I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
You mean the first part of that, I assume? :P

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
You mean the first part of that, I assume? :P

You mean the question?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
Ayep, and I can see why that bit was probably a little weird. :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
Sorry to let you down, I have a rather all encompassing prejudice against men  :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »
Damn, worth a try.

(You know I'm jk, right?)

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
Yar.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
1. That doesn't negate what he said
2. "liberal media"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »

But do you think the tax rate on money made in the stock market should be as low as it is?

Offline PraXis

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »

But do you think the tax rate on money made in the stock market should be as low as it is?

It should be 0%. It's not just the mega rich that make money through investments. There are many people that take annuities from their IRAs, especially after the death of a spouse. For example, my uncle worked at a company for almost 30 years and then passed away in his late 40s. He had saved and invested wisely in his 401k where it was at about $400k+.. it went to his wife and she was under 59 1/2, so she could roll it over into an IRA and get a monthly check until she turns 59 1/2. She's taxed on that income the same percentage as the rich are on their dividends.

I don't believe in a progressive tax structure. Either FairTax (consumption that replaces the entire federal tax structure) or a flat tax.

Btw, the capital gains tax rate expires in a year or two... that will explain the craziness in the stock markets.

Gov't ruins everything.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »
You're right, government does ruin everything! We should do away with all governed society, go back to pre-state tribalism and whatnot, it'd be a blast.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2011, 01:42:46 PM »
Not all, just the useless agencies like the Department of Education. Our kids were doing better when it was left to the states.

The Department of Energy's mission of making us less dependent on foreign fuel has also failed... there's too much redundancy in gov't... agencies never go away, just more layers of bureaucracy.. hell even look at the ATF scandal going on... the head wasn't fired.. he was moved to another gov't dept!

Offline TL

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
Advocating the 'Fair' Tax only makes sense if you hate poor people.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »

How so? They get a monthly pre-bate, so that they never pay taxes on basic necessities, only luxuries. It would immediately force people to become more responsible. You are only taxed on what you consume.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
It should be 0%. It's not just the mega rich that make money through investments. There are many people that take annuities from their IRAs, especially after the death of a spouse. For example, my uncle worked at a company for almost 30 years and then passed away in his late 40s. He had saved and invested wisely in his 401k where it was at about $400k+.. it went to his wife and she was under 59 1/2, so she could roll it over into an IRA and get a monthly check until she turns 59 1/2. She's taxed on that income the same percentage as the rich are on their dividends.

Not correct.  

Withdrawls from qualified retirement accounts are taxed as income, therefore they are not taxed a specific rate, but the amount withdrawn is added to income and that income is taxed according to their efective tax rate.
Interest from all annuities are taxed as income, as are all withdrawls from tax qualified accounts (all retirement accounts like 401k, Trad IRA, 403b, 475b, etc).  Annuities can be in an IRA, and are therefore all taxable as income.

My point is that dividends are taxed differently than IRA's and annuities...and should be.  Dividend tax rates come into play on earnings from non-retirement investmnts...as the principal has already been taxed.  Retirement accounts (IRAs, annutiies, etc) should be taxed as income as they are funded with income that is tax deferred.

Als, Im not sure how yo can say it shouldnt be taxed....the 401k was funded with salary deferrals....wages that were not taxed... he/she eventually has to pay the taxes on that money...the retirement account gives the tax break so it can grow more;./
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:45:45 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TL

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »

How so? They get a monthly pre-bate, so that they never pay taxes on basic necessities, only luxuries. It would immediately force people to become more responsible. You are only taxed on what you consume.
No matter how it was arranged, there would be people with low incomes buying more essentials and basic things that a 'pre-bate' wouldn't cover. Not to mention, how long until some of the rich start complaining about that pre-bate as a handout?

Also, on a sidenote, tourist spending would see a sharp decline.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
Also, on a sidenote, tourist spending would see a sharp decline.
I assume you must mean spending from foreign tourists because with domestic ones at least you could possibly see more spending because now they have less of a burden from the income tax. And with that in mind, that could offset any decrease in foreign tourists that are spending more money due to the sales tax increase.

And in the end, the majority of people coming as foreign tourists are fairly well off and so I think the money brought in from them wouldn't really decrease all that much.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »
I didn't see this previously and would like to chime in. I posted this in the "Filthy Rich" thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27321.0

"These are the same people who usually cry to "Tax the rich!" I've had people who have said to my face, "You have so much money because you don't pay any taxes." What....the fuck? First off, for the most part the government doesnt tax the rich, it taxes high earners. Warren Buffet (who recently advocated for higher taxes for "wealthy Americans") is already rich, so higher taxes will do nothing to take his money away. To accumulate a million dollars requires earning about two million dollars, but once accumulated, the million dollars can sit around for free. Higher taxes do not make it harder to be rich; they make it harder to become rich. Also, high taxes do not impact the lifestyle of extremely high earners. Those successful families earning, say $250K (President Obama’s definition of rich) still have to worry about procuring luxuries like private schools, a home in a good neighborhood, and saving for retirement. On the other hand, someone earning tens of millions per year is well beyond such concerns, regardless of taxes. Higher taxes may hurt the balance sheet of extremely high earners, but not enough to hurt the old pocket book too much; in other words, the pain of higher taxes recedes as wealth increases.

Now I'm no billionaire, but I'd be willing to bet that billionaires work becasue they are highly driven and competitive people, and this drives them to dominate. Since absolute wealth is not important beyond some high net worth, high taxes give billionaires a competitive advantage. Especially since most millionaires in the U.S. are "self made". Ayn Rand realized, socialism is really about keeping things the same. Somehow socialism never achieves the equality in conditions to which it aspires, but it does cement the powerful class’s status by reducing the innovation and change that constantly seek to elevate newcomers. From that point of view, high taxes on "the rich" are a means of maintaining the elite’s dominance in the face of competition."

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »
Quote from: Jeffrey Tucker
Warren Buffett should feel free to donate all the money he wants to the government, but his plan to have the government forcibly extract more wealth from the so-called wealthy amounts to advocating robbery from a sector that is a major contributor to economic growth. In general, he is getting worse and worse, and he is living proof that investor billionaires wouldn't make good political leaders.

Seriously?  The mega-rich pay ~20%, the miuddle-class and poor pay ~40%.  The idea that closing some of the loopholes is "robbery" is laughable.

Actually your figures are off by a little bit.

Of those in America that actually pay income tax (excluding illegal immigrants who pay none) I offer you the following facts and figures from 2008.

The top 1% of taxpayers are defined as those whose AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is greater than $380,354.00 paid 38.02% of the Tax Revenue
Look at the top 5% with an AGI greater than $159,619.00 and that percentage climbs to 58.72%
Look at the top 10% with an AGI greater than $113,799 and the percentage jumps to 69.94%
Look at the top  25% with an AGI greater than $67,280.00 and you see the percentage climb to 86.34%
Look at thet top 50% with an AGI greater than $33,048.00 and you see that 97.3% of all tazes paid are paid by the top 50% of wage earners.
The "poor" lets call them those who make less than $33,048 AGI per year paid a whopping total of 2.7% of the US Tax burden.

Yeah the poor are really over taxed arent they?

I understand that "poor" is a relative term based upon personal perspectives but to break those figures out into percentages paid by dollar amount, with a little math you can determine that the following holds true:

AGI = $380,354+  paid 38.02% of the Taxes
AGI = $159,619 to $380,353 paid 20.7% of the Taxes
AGI = $113,799 to $159,618 paid 11.22% of the Taxes
AGI = $67,280 to $113,798 paid 16.4% of the Taxes (This is where I think most people fall and the PERCEPTION is they pay more than anyone else)
AGI = $33,048 to $67,279 paid 10.96% of the Taxes
AGI = <$33,048 paid a WHOPPING 2.7% of the Taxes.

source of data: https://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Ayn Rand realized, socialism is really about keeping things the same. Somehow socialism never achieves the equality in conditions to which it aspires, but it does cement the powerful class’s status by reducing the innovation and change that constantly seek to elevate newcomers. From that point of view, high taxes on "the rich" are a means of maintaining the elite’s dominance in the face of competition."

First all, I just want to state that you make some good points about taxing income versus taxing wealth. But to say that "socialism is about keeping things the same," is just plain fucking ridiculous, and shows a clear lack of any understanding of what socialism is or is about. And "socialism" is, thanks to Ayn Rand, such a broad, blanket term to designate, well, anything done by society. I think the fact that Ayn Rand was a recluse with few friends should tell us a little bit about the philosophy she spewed, and how inappropriate it is in the large sense. If everyone lived like Ayn Rand, there wouldn't be a society.

Orion: how do you think people are going to pay a large amount of tax revenues when they don't have a large about of taxable revenue? Look at the gap between teh rich and the poor, look at the actual demographics, and then the reasons for the disparity in the tax revenues by income become obvious.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2011, 01:31:40 PM »
You know what really amazes me is how no matter how many times it's said, proponents of heaping more taxes on the poor somehow forget that the problem with that is the poor have less money to pay with in the first place.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Tell me about it, it annoys me enough that regardless of how many times people say it, I'm going to remind them of why it is. It's the most ill-used statistic I can think of.

Because if you actually look at the data on context, poor people are paying a higher share of their income than richer people. That's simply the facts. To use Orions numbers, Those making 33k a year pay 2.7% of the taxes - but they don't make anywhere near 2.7% of the total income. 380k+ pay 38% of the taxes, which is lower than the percentage of total income they make.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
Numbers, is there anything they can't do...
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »
Numbers, is there anything they can't do...

Give proper context?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
Why does anyone care about what Buffet thinks. It's one opinion. Just because he is a brilliant investor and shrewd businessman doesn't mean he knows jack about monetary or fiscal policy. It's like Apple telling Intel/AMD how to build a better CPU. He says tax the mega rich, yet he donates the lions share of his wealth to charity. If he really means what he says, he should hand it all over to the US treasury and allow them to appropriate his fortune.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:00:25 PM by Orthogonal »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:02 AM »
Warren Buffet could give everything he owns and not have a significant impact on our debt. Whereas taxing the mega-rich a few extra percentage points would raise billions and have an actual impact on reducing our debt. I don't see how it's hypocritical in the least, as he's not asking anyone, anyone, to hand over everything they own.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
Ayn Rand realized, socialism is really about keeping things the same. Somehow socialism never achieves the equality in conditions to which it aspires, but it does cement the powerful class’s status by reducing the innovation and change that constantly seek to elevate newcomers. From that point of view, high taxes on "the rich" are a means of maintaining the elite’s dominance in the face of competition."

First all, I just want to state that you make some good points about taxing income versus taxing wealth. But to say that "socialism is about keeping things the same," is just plain fucking ridiculous, and shows a clear lack of any understanding of what socialism is or is about. And "socialism" is, thanks to Ayn Rand, such a broad, blanket term to designate, well, anything done by society. I think the fact that Ayn Rand was a recluse with few friends should tell us a little bit about the philosophy she spewed, and how inappropriate it is in the large sense. If everyone lived like Ayn Rand, there wouldn't be a society.
Really, Scheavo. Four years and you still, somehow, think Socialism is just a political/economical system with just a "bad rep". Knock it off.
And your dismissive conclusion as to why Ayn Rand "was wrong" is not only pathetical, but fallacious.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
Emin, I...wow. :facepalm: No one is advocating socialism, at least to my knowledge; all he was saying is that people nowadays like to call anything they fear or don't like socialism, like how people used terrorism in the last decade.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
Want me to rectify? Gladly. Saying that somehow one of the consequences of Socialism is not what TV said is ignorant on what this political/economical system does.