Author Topic: To what extent is being a musician a "job"?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
To what extent is being a musician a "job"?
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
This may be a silly question, but it's something I've always wondered about.

Does John Petrucci pay income taxes to the government? Would the government recognize Petrucci's membership in Dream Theater as an "official" occupation? Does being a touring musician make you "legally employed"? If Dream Theater broke up tomorrow and its members had to find new jobs, could they put their membership in the band as previous job experience?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:23:59 PM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: To what extent is being a musician a "job"?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »

Does John Petrucci pay income taxes to the government? Would the government recognize Petrucci's membership in Dream Theater as an "official" occupation? Is being a touring musician legally considered an actual profession? If Dream Theater broke up tomorrow and its members had to find new jobs, could they put their membership in the band as previous job experience?

Yes.

And no to the last question, unless it's a music related job.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »

Does John Petrucci pay income taxes to the government? Would the government recognize Petrucci's membership in Dream Theater as an "official" occupation? Is being a touring musician legally considered an actual profession? If Dream Theater broke up tomorrow and its members had to find new jobs, could they put their membership in the band as previous job experience?

Yes.

And no to the last question, unless it's a music related job.

They can certainly list it, whether it would actually be applicable job experience would depend on the job.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Does John Petrucci pay income taxes to the government? Would the government recognize Petrucci's membership in Dream Theater as an "official" occupation? Does being a touring musician make you "legally employed"? If Dream Theater broke up tomorrow and its members had to find new jobs, could they put their membership in the band as previous job experience?

Yes.  Probably.  Probably.  Yes, but like Zircon said, whether or not its relevant is a different question.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
Well let's say John wants to teach at Berklee....

Job Experience

Dream Theater 1985 - 2011
Guitarist, Producer, Lyricist

Im sure the founding member and guitarist of Dream Theater would find a job like this in no time

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »
Clearly :lol

But I meant in a purely hypothetical situation where they had to look for office jobs, or something. I know it wouldn't be relevant in context, and that's exactly my point. It wouldn't be relevant, but what else could he put there? He hasn't had any previous job experience outside of DT, so would he would just be out of luck? That would blow.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
Being a producer for a band is a lot of office style management stuff that I'm sure he has plenty of experience with.  Also he's been dealing with record companies for all these years.  I'm sure he has tons of business type experience and all that goes with being in a band besides playing.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
Though I doubt they have to do much of it themselves now, back in the bands early days where they might have to do do a fair share amount of the planning for a tour could apply for some kind of job where you travel a lot.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »
Does John Petrucci pay income taxes to the government?

Yes.  Any money he receives is income, whether it is wages and salary from his company, or other income.  All income is taxed by the IRS and state unless it is specifically exempt.

Does Would the government recognize Petrucci's membership in Dream Theater as an "official" occupation?

Not sure what you mean.  The government doesn't care about "official occupations" for most purposes, other than, say, unemployment insurance, workers' comp., and other employee benefits issues that the government regulates.  Or are you again talking about taxes?  Most taxes are income related, not employment related.  But in either case, yes, he is being paid a salary as an employee of his corporation, so yes.

Does being a touring musician make you "legally employed"?

Depends whether you are drawing an income.  In John's case, yes.  He is employed by his corporation.

If Dream Theater broke up tomorrow and its members had to find new jobs, could they put their membership in the band as previous job experience?

Sure.  Whether it is relevant experience is a different matter, but a lot of that is all in how you describe it.  He has been a corporate executive for over 20 yeard now, for example, and has been involved in hiring and firing of employees, negotiating contracts, marketing, payroll and employee benefits, managing corporate finances, etc.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
Thanks Bosk, that clears a lot of it up for me. Like I said, I know it was a stupid question, but the idea of a touring musician being considered an actual job just seems weird to me. I'm not sure why.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
^^Circus Maximus^^ would agree with you, they feel the same way.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.