Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Review Thread  (Read 8931 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Review Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 05:06:25 AM »
It's more that I don't think it means what the reviewer thinks it means. Like I say, it's interesting enough! It's just - it reads like a first draft. I guess I'm a bit of a writing snob. It's a bit like watching a kid try to force the circular block into the square hole. Even if they manage it, you're dying to swoop in and go "oh just give it here, you're doing it all wrong."

That said, I've seen similarly iffy writing in profit publications, so you know! It's no biggie. There's a lot of passion. It's just a bugbear.

Where were you yesterday when I was finishing up an article for a programming magazine? :lol
I guess it's fair enough to expect a high standard of language even for this. I'm a big ol' grammar nazi at heart, so I sympathize. I personally didn't find it detracted from the review. Or maybe I was just reasonably distracted by his delightful over-enthusiasm.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »
I was somewhat distracted by the poor writing and apparent fanboyism, but it was still an interesting read.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 05:16:09 AM »
It's more that I don't think it means what the reviewer thinks it means. Like I say, it's interesting enough! It's just - it reads like a first draft. I guess I'm a bit of a writing snob. It's a bit like watching a kid try to force the circular block into the square hole. Even if they manage it, you're dying to swoop in and go "oh just give it here, you're doing it all wrong."

That said, I've seen similarly iffy writing in profit publications, so you know! It's no biggie. There's a lot of passion. It's just a bugbear.

Where were you yesterday when I was finishing up an article for a programming magazine? :lol
I guess it's fair enough to expect a high standard of language even for this. I'm a big ol' grammar nazi at heart, so I sympathize. I personally didn't find it detracted from the review. Or maybe I was just reasonably distracted by his delightful over-enthusiasm.
I was out solving, um, shark-related crimes.

I do like the exuberance. Positivity is an all-too rare commodity, which is a shame, 'cause it trumps all over cynicism's face and gives it pink-eye. Which does, come to think of it, imbue this post with a twinge of hypocrisy. But yeah - great core to it, absolutely. Love the guy's spirit, but I think I'd like the article more if it were on a blog, where it wouldn't feel quite so precocious. Or! If it had been through a good editor.

Or, in short, what hefdaddy said.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
Not only did he spell hamster wrong, but the animal in the internet meme he's referencing is actually a prairie dog, not a hamster or a chipmunk like a lot of people think.

Anyway, I did like the part where he said OTBOA is the weakest song on the album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 05:23:06 AM »
Anyway, I did like the part where he said OTBOA is the weakest song on the album.

So did I, because if it's true, then this album will definitely live up to all the hype and glowing reviews I've read thus far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »
I don't like to predict the opinions of fans here, but if Breaking All Illusions doesn't live up to all expectations, I will eat my computer. While it's still on. On live webcam.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 05:57:33 AM »
I really really started to enjoy On the Backs of Angels. REALLY REALLY. I think it's better from a vast number of songs on Systematic Chaos and Octavarium.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 05:59:25 AM »
Blob, how many times have you listened to the album? (If its ok for me to ask) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 06:07:27 AM »
Blob, how many times have you listened to the album? (If its ok for me to ask) :)
It's not OK to ask.

Oh wait, I guess it is.  :P

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
That review makes me really hopeful, especially about James. I just hope it's not someone who got overexcited.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:41:59 AM by Metabog »