Author Topic: "How many new songs should a band play live?"  (Read 3063 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
"How many new songs should a band play live?"
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
I'm sure some if not all of you got an email from Roadrunner asking you the same question.
I refused to take part in their poll in case it's Roadrunner's way of telling DT, as well as all of 'their' bands, how to construct their setlists.
My answer to the question, of course, is...
however many new songs they feel like playing for us.
I think they're extremely proud of their new creation, so if they want they want to show off all or most of it, I say let 'em!
What are your thoughts?
I just realized I wasn't in the concerts and setlists forum. Mods, if you want to move it, please feel free ;)
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: "How many new songs should a band play live?"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
As many as possible without ruining the coherency of the setlist and playing too little older material.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
I refused to take part in their poll in case it's Roadrunner's way of telling DT, as well as all of 'their' bands, how to construct their setlists.

???  Why?

But in answer to the question, about half an album's worth is usually typical (perhaps most of the album if it is an longer "evening with" set).  If a band has done a halfway decent job of writing good material, this should not be a problem, as those coming to the show will likely want to hear the new stuff.  The only time I guess it would be different is if (1) the band has written a lousy album and failed to exercise any quality control whatsoever (Queensryche, I'm looking at you), (2) the band has mainly become a nostalgia act where the majority of fans come mainly just for the old hits and don't really care much whether the band has any new stuff to offer (Queensryche, I'm still looking at you).  In DT's case, they've always done a good job of showcasing a lot of new material for whichever album they are supporting on tour, and I would expect that to continue to a large degree.

tl;dnr:  What Reap' said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
As many as possible without ruining the coherency of the setlist and playing too little older material.

I highly doubt you're going to get a better answer. Unless of course Hef could sum it up in 1 word, and that one word can't be "enough".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
I think 3/4 of the album is the ideal. But I wouldn't mind the whole album to be played...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Evo

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Depends on the album really...I obviously haven't heard ADTOE, but if what most of us are predicting ends up being true, then I'd like to hear as much as possible! If you would have asked me the same question about Metallica on their St. Anger tour, I would have given you a very different answer!

Offline Evo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
edit - oops, double post

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
I caught Dream Theater for score, where I had gotten into Dream Theater in May 2005 when I heard SFAM.  I remember being disappointed at the time not knowing a lot of the material off Octavarium and they played 5 songs off it...  I was psyched to hear the songs I knew, but bummed to hear the ones I didn't know as well.  (Another Won, Raise the Knife, and unfamiliarity with the 8VM songs minus the title track and RoAE)  

But looking back now, shit it's awesome to relive now that I'm familiar with the material...

If I saw them, and they were playing a 10 song set, I wouldn't want more than say 3 new songs...  I know it is tough with Dream Theater, because 10 songs means like 30 songs the non-prog rock band, but yeah in general I'm a "love going to shows where I know EVERY song" kind of a guy...  Harder to rock out when you're unfamiliar with the song unless it's catchy IMO, but in Dream Theaters case, youll never get anything catchy.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
The only time I guess it would be different is if (1) the band has written a lousy album and failed to exercise any quality control whatsoever (Queensryche, I'm looking at you), (2) the band has mainly become a nostalgia act where the majority of fans come mainly just for the old hits and don't really care much whether the band has any new stuff to offer

and 3) They've written concept album and want to keep (most of) the whole album to present the concept.

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »
Just skimmed through the thread, but it also depends on how long the album has been out prior to the tour starting. I know I would not want to hear any music live before I heard it on the album.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Just skimmed through the thread, but it also depends on how long the album has been out prior to the tour starting. I know I would not want to hear any music live before I heard it on the album.

Which is exactly why they only played On the Backs of Angels for their European festivals this summer, and they didn't want to spoil the rest of the album for us.

Personally I think half of the set being new stuff is good enough.  Unless it is like the week after the album comes out and the music hasn't had a chance to sink in to everyone's head yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
For me as a follower of bands, I'd rather see as many new songs as I can.  I understand there has to be "Staples" for  the average fan but give me new songs all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »
For me as a follower of bands, I'd rather see as many new songs as I can.  I understand there has to be "Staples" for  the average fan but give me new songs all the time.
Iron Maiden and Rush always play about about half of each new album.

For ADTOE, I'd be fine if it was played in its entirety. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
I've always been the "I want the new songs" guy.  Maybe it's because I've seen bands like Maiden, DT, Rush so many times that I want to hear the new stuff.  A great as a song like Tom Sawyer and Pull Me Under are, I can live without hearing them for the sake of hearing something new.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »
90 minute set = 30 minutes of new songs.
120 minut set = 40 minutes of new songs.

That's the what i think anyway. I hate when bands play to much new material. I want to hear new stuff sure but i really want to hear my favorites!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
For some bands, I only want to see a few new songs, as a lot of bands don't release solid albums of great material like DT. But for DT, I'm happy with almost any new stuff, because they're a band consistently releasing songs I like, and not the type of band that have to fill their quota of obligatory hits like many other bands.

tl;dr version - what Reap said.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
i'd say 4 with only 1 ballad included.
they can remove 8V and play the whole album...that's ok too.
or skip PMU this tour. they could also just play 2/3 tracks from the last tour UGAM, LTL, OTCO
and yes please stop playing enter sandman, one and NEM in the same order.....it's been going onfor 20 years now!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline robwebster

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 04:50:37 AM »
Harder to rock out when you're unfamiliar with the song unless it's catchy IMO, but in Dream Theaters case, youll never get anything catchy.
Whoa! I mean, fair cop, but I'd say IMO's suffixing the less surprising bit, there - in what universe are Dream Theater not catchy?! They were founded on the premises of:

1. cool riffs,
2. impossible solos,
3. melodies that burrow their way deep into your skull and use it as a kind of sinister holiday home.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:36 AM »
None preferably, one or two max. With music as complex as DT it's impossible to fully appreciate and understand a song the first time it's heard, in a packed out auditorium, all the subtle parts are lost and it just takes up space which could be used for existing songs I already know/love and can enjoy.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »
I think about 3.5/10 of the show should be new songs. Unless the new songs are garbage, which is not going to be the case for ADTOE
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:50 AM »
None preferably, one or two max. With music as complex as DT it's impossible to fully appreciate and understand a song the first time it's heard, in a packed out auditorium, all the subtle parts are lost and it just takes up space which could be used for existing songs I already know/love and can enjoy.

I think this is more about how much new material is played after the albums out.

4 or 5 songs at least for me. This tour is really the best chance for the new material to shine so it should get a good chunk of the set.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
DT has released so many albums and their songs are quite long, so I think 3 or 4 would be a good amount of new material.

Offline Cable

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
It depends on the album. If the songs are meant to be heard together, obviously more of it.

It also depends on the length of the set. I think anything over half of the set is overkill. And I would argue if the set is over 30% new, and if songs are stand alone, it is too much, especially at this point in DTs career and their back catalog.

I think SFAM and 6DOIT tours adhered to the 50% max.
---

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
As many as a band wants, it's their material.

I dislike it when bands don't trust their new material. Megadeth are a bad example. Endgame was a brilliant album and they've only played a couple off that with any regularity and one of those was the intro track!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
I think we will hear On The Backs of Angels, Build me up break me down, Lost not forgotten,  Outcry, Far From Heaven, and Breaking All Illusions

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
It really depends on how good I believe the new new material to be and how familiar I am with the band's catalog in general, and it is different for every circumstance.

When Queensryche toured on Promised Land, I was excited that the whole album was performed that night.

When Def Leppard toured for Songs from the Sparkle Lounge, I was disappointed that only one new song was played, as I thought it was a decent album and was worthy of more exposure.

When I saw Queensryche's opening show on the current 30th Anniversary tour, I was very happy only two songs were played from DTC.

As I have generally not enjoyed DT songs released post-SFAM (with the exception of ToT live), I have been generally disappointed with the last few DT shows I have gone to because there has been a strong emphasis on newer material. If I connect with the forthcoming album, I hope that I will hear a good chunk of it.

Iron Maiden's Brave New World tour featured 5 or 6 new songs, all the ones I wanted to hear (with the exception of Out of the Silent Planet), so I had no complaints. On the flip side, although I didn't see it, I am sure people were pissed when they did the entire AMoLaD album on that tour.

When Rush played the majority of Snakes & Arrows, I had no complaints as I thought it was a good album and the songs translated well into the live setting.

When I see someone like John Mellancamp, I only want to hear radio hits.

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
Nine  :metal

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
I'd actually love to hear the full album in its entirety.