Author Topic: Why are we still coddling the 4:3 dinosaurs?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: Why are we still coddling the 4:3 dinosaurs?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »
Thanks for the discussion everyone!

I've also noticed a lot of old 4:3 shows being artificially zoomed to fill the screen thereby cutting off the top/bottom of the picture which is beyond lame.

But, yeah, 4:3 isn't dead yet and I have to learn to live with it, but I really have to draw the line at specialty HD channels (ie. Movietime) showing 4:3 SD movies (ie Blade last night).  I've tried contacting them as to why they do this and haven't heard back yet.

Offline jsem

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Never have I seen a 16:9 monitor that is high enough. Width is not the only thing one looks for in a monitor.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
Height isn't one of the only things people look for either lol.  Resolution is what is important.  It does't matter what your aspect is if your resolution is shit.  You can't argue that a 640x480 resolution is better than a 1920x1080 monitor.

One of the reasons that a company may show a movie in 4x3 might be because no one took the master and redid it in HD at 16x9 or some other widescreen format yet.  It's possible that its just not cost effective enough for the film to be remastered at a different resolution.  It's also up to the broadcasters a lot of the time.  They are ultimately the ones who choose what they want to screen.  I have no idea why they decide to show 4:3 stuff if they have the choice not to, but whatever.

Also, I don't mind watching 4:3 stuff if it was originally shot 4:3.  I'm always a supporter in watching stuff in its native aspect ratio.  What I hate is pan and scanning of widesreen movies that chop off the sides according to what is most important in each frame.  That shit drives me nuts.  I would much rather see it letterboxed and lose some resolution than lose information.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »
Um, are there any basic guides to resolution and how one can be better than another?

Whenever I see a screen, all I see is a screen with some images displayed on it. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
Well basically, the higher the numbers, the more pixels there are, meaning the bigger the resolution is.  It's just the native size of an image.  An image shot at standard HD is 1920x1080 pixels.  A 4k image is a little more than double that at 4096 × 2304 pixels.  The 4k image is bigger and will have more detail than the HD one.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
Also, I don't mind watching 4:3 stuff if it was originally shot 4:3.  I'm always a supporter in watching stuff in its native aspect ratio.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
Also, I don't mind watching 4:3 stuff if it was originally shot 4:3.  I'm always a supporter in watching stuff in its native aspect ratio.
This. I fucking hate 4:3 shows stretched to fit a 16:9 screen. It drives me nuts when my mom watches shows: "I don't like the black bars on the side."

:facepalm:
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »
I've never understood the problem people have with "black bars".  They're areas of your screen that aren't being used because the shape of the picture isn't the same as the shape of your screen.  A widescreen picture on a 4:3 screen will have unused areas at the top and bottom ("letterboxing") because the picture is wide.  An SD picture on an HD TV will have unused areas at the sides because the picture isn't widescreen and the TV is.  Are people really that dumb, or would they rather have the picture stretched or cropped just so the whole screen is used, regardless of what the original picture is supposed to be?

Here is an excellent essay on the history of aspect ratios, and what it means to viewers today:

Why Don't the Black Bars Go Away?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
sadly the link doesnt wanna work
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
The High Def Digest website is being wonky right now.  I tested the link this morning when I posted it, and it worked, but I can't get to it now, nor the HDD forums.  I recommend trying it again in a while, because it's a good read.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
I've never understood the problem people have with "black bars". 

I found it very distracting when I first encountered letterboxing.  I quickly got used to it, though.  Particularly once tv shows started broadcasting in widescreen.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »

but I couldn't find anything but the numbers can only go up since nobody sells 4:3 anymore and the same goes for PC monitors, they are mostly widescreen now anyway, and with more and more people viewing on their PC it only makes sense to get rid of 4:3 content and do it right.
I absolutely HATE widescreen computer monitors with a passion.

They are a godsend for programmers. Seriously, I can honestly not think of any other computer improvement that had such an impact on programming as widescreen monitors. My company is even intending to equip every programmer with 2 widescreen monitors, side by side.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »

but I couldn't find anything but the numbers can only go up since nobody sells 4:3 anymore and the same goes for PC monitors, they are mostly widescreen now anyway, and with more and more people viewing on their PC it only makes sense to get rid of 4:3 content and do it right.
I absolutely HATE widescreen computer monitors with a passion.

They are a godsend for programmers. Seriously, I can honestly not think of any other computer improvement that had such an impact on programming as widescreen monitors. My company is even intending to equip every programmer with 2 widescreen monitors, side by side.

rumborak

I use two widescreen monitors at work and I felt so naked with one when I temporarily only had one. Its so useful to have the space to work on multiple applications.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
Dual monitors is so awesome.  It makes doing any kind of work better.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 05:03:27 AM »
Because they're dinosaurs, and you don't mess with those fuckers. Ever seen Jurassic Park? Not even Sam Jackson could survive that shit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:33:59 AM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »
Dual monitors is so awesome.  It makes doing any kind of work better.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
"People often ask my why computer has 6 monitors. There is a very good reason for this: my desk isn't large enough to fit 8 monitors." - Terry Pratchett
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman