Author Topic: When people think the cover version is the original. It makes me want to die.  (Read 23781 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

It's not you can think it's better personally. Or you enjoy it more.. to your ears and brain but it can never be truly better.

That's ridiculous.

Offline tjanuranus

It's not you can think it's better personally. Or you enjoy it more.. to your ears and brain but it can never be truly better.

That's ridiculous.
sorry for typos. Like i said i'm hungry as shit.

Offline tjanuranus

That's ridiculous.

no YOU!  ;)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Heh.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in

That's ridiculous.

no YOU!  ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Swany, what about when the original artist likes the cover better than the original?

An example would be Devin Townsend. He hear Annekes version of Hyperdrive and was like "damn...this is what the original should have been".

In most cases, I'd agree with you. But I disagree with the absoluteness of it.

An artist could have an idea for a song, but not entirely realize it. Then someone else could hear the song, realize what the artist was trying to do and then do it properly that lives up to the original intention that the original artist might not have been able to realize at the time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

That's ridiculous.

no YOU!  ;)

:rollin
Lets see...my opinions on Covers..If I find it better than the original then I do, but if someone likes the original more its not like I tell them they need to listen to the cover because its totally better.  Thats why its called an opinion.

Offline tjanuranus

Ok what are your opinions on this then?

https://dimewars.com/Video/Did-They-Do-That-To-The-Artist-Formally-Known-As-Prince----Sinead-O-Connor--Chaka-Khan-Stealing-His-Songs.aspx?bcmediaid=6478024b-d202-4f83-ab97-a3e276906459

I saw this interview and it spurred up my feelings on the fact that people don't even know when something is a cover anymore and they diss the original. I just hate that. Vid is only a minute long but i don't think he's lying and that is FUCKED up to me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

https://dimewars.com/Video/Did-They-Do-That-To-The-Artist-Formally-Known-As-Prince----Sinead-O-Connor--Chaka-Khan-Stealing-His-Songs.aspx?bcmediaid=6478024b-d202-4f83-ab97-a3e276906459

I saw this interview and it spurred up my feelings on the fact that people don't even know when something is a cover anymore and they diss the original. I just hate that. Vid is only a minute long but i don't think he's lying and that is FUCKED up to me.

I never really liked Prince personally, he really gets edgy over a lot of nothing.  But I still partially see what he gets at, it sucks when people think you're the one covering, but eh, I don't know.   I usually love covers.  Sylosis covered Death and it wasn't as good, but damn it was radular.

Offline Adami

It seems you're more pissed about people not knowing something about music that you personally do. As time goes on, older songs become lesser known to younger generations, and if a newer band covers it, a lot of people are going to wrongfully assume it's their song. That's not something to get pissed about, it's just ignorance which is VERY easily fixed.

For instance, my mom thought forever that Scarborough Fair was a Simon and Garfunkel song. So what? I told her it wasn't and life went on. Not everyone who listens to Killswitch listens to Dio. People learn by being taught, if no one is ever taught that Holy Diver is a Dio song, then it's not their fault that they don't know it. Calm down and stop being so snobby about everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.

I think it's actually pretty silly for an artist to not want his songs to be rearranged by others.  Art is a very open thing to me, and if this Prince fellow writes a song and puts it out there I see no reason why it should be untouchable to others who want to make their own interpretation of it.  If another version becomes better known, that's because it was made more appealing to the people and that's the way it works.  

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I thought Journey's cover of Don't Stop Believin' was horrible
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is why I don't like talk about music being good/bad/better in an objective sense. It's gets all sticky (lol) in these situations. I enjoy DT's version of Take Your Fingers From My Hair more than Zebra's original. Is it better? I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't it's worse either. It's just different, and I happen to like those differences more.

Offline tjanuranus

I think it's actually pretty silly for an artist to not want his songs to be rearranged by others.  Art is a very open thing to me, and if this Prince fellow writes a song and puts it out there I see no reason why it should be untouchable to others who want to make their own interpretation of it.  If another version becomes better known, that's because it was made more appealing to the people and that's the way it works.  

But as the creator it should his right now to have it covered if he doesn't want it to be. You cant remake a movie without permission.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I thought Journey's cover of Don't Stop Believin' was horrible

I think you shouldn't be bashing Journey like that.  Unless you really want to.  

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I'm more of pointing out how some people probably believe that Glee wrote DSB and Journey covered it. Believe me, I've heard it before.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Man, where is natural selection when humanity needs it?

Offline tjanuranus

For instance, my mom thought forever that Scarborough Fair was a Simon and Garfunkel song. So what? I told her it wasn't and life went on. Not everyone who listens to Killswitch listens to Dio. People learn by being taught, if no one is ever taught that Holy Diver is a Dio song, then it's not their fault that they don't know it. Calm down and stop being so snobby about everything.

Ok i agree with you that if someone has never heard the original they shouldn't be yelled at or whatever but some people either don't care to learn or when they find out there is an original they don't care or they say it's shit because it's "old." That kind of shit is what i'm talking about.

Offline tjanuranus

I'm more of pointing out how some people probably believe that Glee wrote DSB and Journey covered it. Believe me, I've heard it before.

i don't want to live on a planet where people actually think that the songs on Glee are original. Seriously  i don't. It might be time to think about offing myself real soon.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

But as the creator it should his right now to have it covered if he doesn't want it to be.

I disagree.  I don't know what else to say because you didn't really back this up with anything.  

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

And it's even worse when you know that in that Glee episode or whatever, they were doing a tribute to Journey. So they're ignorant and they don't pay attention to show the they're obsessed with.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I'd like to know what all the commotion about this Glee show is. 

It seems I'm the only person in the US and maybe one of 5 in the developed world who have never watched it. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020

And it's even worse when you know that in that Glee episode or whatever, they were doing a tribute to Journey. So they're ignorant and they don't pay attention to show the they're obsessed with.
I agree completely.
I've never watched it either MSZ
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

But as the creator it should his right now to have it covered if he doesn't want it to be. You cant remake a movie without permission.

Once the record company owns the rights to your songs, you give up the right to complain about what happens to it. It sucks that people assume his songs are other peoples songs, but that's life sometimes. He's one of a very few group of people complaining about it.

Also, what about jazz, classical or blues? Almost everything played by modern jazz and classical artists are "covers". Should that stop?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

But as the creator it should his right now to have it covered if he doesn't want it to be.

I disagree.  I don't know what else to say because you didn't really back this up with anything.  

You can't remake a movie without permission. Why should music be any different.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Death's cover of Painkiller is better than the Judas Priest original. It's the only example I can think of, but I firmly believe that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Adami

You get permission from the people who own the rights. If a record company owns the rights to prince's songs, then their permission is enough.

Should record companies own rights? No. But that's how it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

Once the record company owns the rights to your songs, you give up the right to complain about what happens to it. It sucks that people assume his songs are other peoples songs, but that's life sometimes. He's one of a very few group of people complaining about it.

Also, what about jazz, classical or blues? Almost everything played by modern jazz and classical artists are "covers". Should that stop?

Well if they don't get permission they yeah. Write something original for fucks sake or get permission.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

I'd like to know what all the commotion about this Glee show is. 

It seems I'm the only person in the US and maybe one of 5 in the developed world who have never watched it. 

People sing songs and there is teenage drama and it is a bad show if you ask me.  I have friends who are absolutely wild about it, but I don't get the appeal.  However, I don't see anything wrong with people identifying with Glee versions of songs over the originals.  

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Because live performances are okay. Otherwise say goodbye to karaoke. Correct if I'm wrong, but don't you have to get permission to put a cover on an album that you sell for money?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Death's cover of Painkiller is better than the Judas Priest original. It's the only example I can think of, but I firmly believe that.

And you're true.  

Offline tjanuranus

You get permission from the people who own the rights. If a record company owns the rights to prince's songs, then their permission is enough.

Should record companies own rights? No. But that's how it is.

Well i guess that's the real issue anyway that this all goes back to . That is BULLSHIT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Prince is a huge hypocrite.  He covered Radiohead's Creep live a few years ago, and then had the nerve to have his lawyers remove the video from online sources like youtube.  Even Radiohead complained about that, as they were generally curious to hear Prince's take on their song.  And yet he complains about others covering his songs, proving once again what a huge douche he is.  I get that live is different from studio work, but that was not his song that he had removed.

Offline Adami

Yes, it's a bad situation. But it's a bad situation that Prince allowed to happen.

At some point between writing the songs and releasing the songs, he OK'd letting the company control it. Blame him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

Because live performances are okay. Otherwise say goodbye to karaoke. COrrect if I'm wrong, but don't have to get permission to put a cover on an album that you sell for money?

I'm not talking about live versions. I'm talking about albums and that's what HE's talking about in the video when he mentions Sinead O Conner. Didn't seem like he wanted that to happen even though he wrote it.