Author Topic: When people think the cover version is the original. It makes me want to die.  (Read 23779 times)

Offline tjanuranus

You don't have to imagine it. It's reality.

This is not reality.....
Dude I know plenty of people who know Cash's version but not NIN's. Why does it seem impossible to you to not hear it?

It's one of the best songs of a decade on one of the most popular albums. Find it odd people have never heard. For the record i'm joking around sometimes it doesn't come off that way on teh netz of course.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
green text = sarcasm

i think it'll help

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
Please tell me you were joking around the whole thread.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline tjanuranus

Please tell me you were joking around the whole thread.

if only.

Offline tjanuranus

Ok see this is exactly why i started this thread. I was looking at other covers of when you were mine and came across these brilliant comments on youtube...

(It was a cover by a new girl group i guess. So this version was fairly new. )Then i saw this...

is this prince's song or is his a cover?
minecabus13 1 month ago

@minecabus13 its cyndi lauper's song.
1Jaader 3 days ago

What i love about this is the first person asks if this is a prince song or is prince's version a cover. This song came out in 1980 so that means prince would have had to have heard this new version, time traveled back IN TIME to 1980 and covered it. Then the brilliant person below claims matter of factly of course that's it's a cyndi lauper song.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
To weigh in on the "Hurt" discussion, I greatly prefer the Johnny Cash version. Why? Because I don't like NIN's musical style at all, and I don't particularly care for any of their songs.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I love Cash's version of Hurt.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
I think why I like Johnny Cash's version better is how he delivers the vocals. It sounds like he has regret. The acoustic guitar and the piano just speaks volumes and works better than the industrial sound that NIN had in their original.

So, to me, the arrangement can make a cover better than the original.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
I just don't hear it at all. Considering the context of the rest of the album (a concept album) and how it relates to Trent at the time he wrote it, it just has so much more meaning to me. Trent sounds like he's fighting back tears and on his last breath, and he sounds completely crestfallen.

Cash's version is a solid tribute to the original. Same goes for his cover of Personal Jesus.

Offline tjanuranus

I just don't hear it at all. Considering the context of the rest of the album (a concept album) and how it relates to Trent at the time he wrote it, it just has so much more meaning to me. Trent sounds like he's fighting back tears and on his last breath, and he sounds completely crestfallen.

Cash's version is a solid tribute to the original. Same goes for his cover of Personal Jesus.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
I like both.   Of you want a case of me preferring one version of a song over the other, how bout Diamonds and Rust?  Helps that I'm not a big fan of folksy stuff, but I feel Priest really did right for that tune.  Though I don't especially like that they cut half of the lyrics.  On that count, the original can get my vote.  I do say folk most often has much better lyrics than the heavy shit. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I want to point one thing out, I think whether or not you check out the original is also dependent on how much you like the cover.

For instance, I quite like Metallica's Garage Inc. But did I check out the original of every one of those songs? Nah.

I really liked Turn the Page, Whiskey in the Jar, Tuesday's Gone, and Sabbra Caddabra, so I checked out the originals of all of those (well.......as close as I could get to an original for Whiskey in the Jar). But the rest? I just didn't care enough. I wasn't AMAZINGLY into any of the other covers, so I didn't feel the need to check out the original.

Like when Alien Ant Farm did that cover of Smooth Criminal. I didn't check out the original for a very long time. Why? Because I passively liked the cover, I didn't love it and definietely didn't care about the song enough to find its most "pure" form. Nothing to do with how old it was, just didn't care that much about the song, even if I liked it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Hey, tj -- just gonna leave this here for you

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
 :lol