Author Topic: When people think the cover version is the original. It makes me want to die.  (Read 23775 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
You're just being an asshole for some reason and i'm not sure why.
mostly because

I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
meh

Offline tjanuranus

Ok i'm going to do this to most threads not if this is the way it's going to be. BEcause really every thread is fucking pointless.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Oh oh here's one. What if an artist updates their own song? Which is more pure?

The original is the purest form. The update could be an enhancement or a determinate in some cases. See the CGI star wars originals.

You are currently claiming that the artist is infallible, and wrong at the same time.

Here's an example. I want to write a song that sums up an experience I had. I write a song, and it comes close but I notice it doesn't quite do what I want, but whatever I release it anyway. Then 5 years later, I manage to re-do the song to better sum up the experience I originally wanted it to sum up in the first place. So at this point, from the artists point of view, the original is incomplete and the re-do 5 years later better fits the goals I originally had.

The purity can only come from intention. If the original isn't what the artist fully believes in, then it's not the most pure. This whole "the first is more pure by default" would mean that the original idea of a song is more pure than the final product, if a metal song is based around an acoustic chord progression that the singer wrote a few hours earlier, that the acoustic version is more pure, and if that is based around a melody that the artist had in their head, that the imagined melody is more pure than the actual played melody.

See? It's a pointless nonsense argument. I'd just drop it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

Oh oh here's one. What if an artist updates their own song? Which is more pure?

The original is the purest form. The update could be an enhancement or a determinate in some cases. See the CGI star wars originals.

You are currently claiming that the artist is infallible, and wrong at the same time.

Here's an example. I want to write a song that sums up an experience I had. I write a song, and it comes close but I notice it doesn't quite do what I want, but whatever I release it anyway. Then 5 years later, I manage to re-do the song to better sum up the experience I originally wanted it to sum up in the first place. So at this point, from the artists point of view, the original is incomplete and the re-do 5 years later better fits the goals I originally had.

The purity can only come from intention. If the original isn't what the artist fully believes in, then it's not the most pure. This whole "the first is more pure by default" would mean that the original idea of a song is more pure than the final product, if a metal song is based around an acoustic chord progression that the singer wrote a few hours earlier, that the acoustic version is more pure, and if that is based around a melody that the artist had in their head, that the imagined melody is more pure than the actual played melody.

See? It's a pointless nonsense argument. I'd just drop it.

I don't agree but that's fine everyone has an opinion. But this argument isn't even the reason i created this thread. It was supposed to be about people not knowing originals.

Online Adami

To be fair dude, none of us brought up those arguments, you did. We just argued them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

To be fair dude, none of us brought up those arguments, you did. We just argued them.

:censored

Oh wee oh wee oh.

Online Adami

I'll admit, your original argument was the more pure one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

I'll admit, your original argument was the more pure one.

pure as piss.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
My piss is as pure as a fresh mountain stream.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
You bet your ass it is!

Anyhow, I think we can all agree on something, here:

Lenny Kravitz totally ruined American Woman!

Online Adami

You bet your ass it is!

Did you completely miss the point of this thread? An artist can't ruin a song that they themselves wrote. Sheesh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tjanuranus

You bet your ass it is!

What's Ironic here is there is a video Kravitz and Prince playing that cover on stage together.  :o :o :o

Offline tjanuranus

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I always enjoyed Lenny's version. I absolutely love some of LK's albums
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Don't get me wrong, I dig him.  Just not his interpretation of American Woman.  But, give me something like Are You Gonna Go My Way, and I'm a happy individual.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
But, give me something like Are You Gonna Go My Way.
Excellent song. And I guess I have a soft spot for his version of American Women because I had never hears the original at the time and I have always like the more modern feel that Lenny gave it. Of course, The Guess Who wrote it back in the 69, so they couldn't make it sound modern in Lenny's way   :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Near the beginning of the thread I could tell what people's points where and actually agreed on some of them. Now I just have a massive headache.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I don't think I've ever thought of a cover-song to be the original, I tend to read up a bit on what I listen to, and if there's a cover-song, I'll read who has made it in the first place etc.

With that said, I very rarely care for the original-versions, like... if I hear a band I really love cover a song, then I'll probably listen to it loads and really enjoy it, but it isn't really enough for me to check up the original artist, because I don't have much interest in doing so.
I might also add that Blackfield's cover of "Thank You" blew me away, and even though I enjoyed Alanis Morisette's original version, I much prefer Blackfield's.
Same thing with Pendulum's version of "Voodoo People". The Prodigy's version is (IMO) nowhere near as good.

Offline tjanuranus

I don't think I've ever thought of a cover-song to be the original, I tend to read up a bit on what I listen to, and if there's a cover-song, I'll read who has made it in the first place etc.

With that said, I very rarely care for the original-versions, like... if I hear a band I really love cover a song, then I'll probably listen to it loads and really enjoy it, but it isn't really enough for me to check up the original artist, because I don't have much interest in doing so.
I might also add that Blackfield's cover of "Thank You" blew me away, and even though I enjoyed Alanis Morisette's original version, I much prefer Blackfield's.
Same thing with Pendulum's version of "Voodoo People". The Prodigy's version is (IMO) nowhere near as good.

Why would you not want to check out the originals? Btw prodigys song is great.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Well, there are times when I really like the cover-version of the song and I'm interested in seeing how the original sounds, and then I check out the original, just to see if it's similar.
If we take "Thank You" for example, Blackfield's version is very simplistic and scaled down, meanwhile the original is very different and has much more layers.
In this case I appreciate the original, but I really love what Blackfield did with the song for the cover. :)

As for not getting enough interest in checking an artist out just because of a cover, I don't know.
Sometimes I hear a cover-song that I really like, and I just feel like maybe exploring the original will let me down, and that I will loose some interest for it.
Sometimes I just don't care that much, I can hear a cover that I really like, but I feel that it's "enough", and that I don't really have a need for the original version.

It's hard to say.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
What a dumb thread.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
YOU'RE A DUMB THREAD
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
 :sadpanda:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
You know what else is a dumb threAd?
The one you just posted in.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Death's cover of Painkiller is better than the Judas Priest original. It's the only example I can think of, but I firmly believe that.
:tup
Post of the thread.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
To one person it's better to another it's not but the original song writers intent should always be held as the greatest form. EVEN if you like another version better.
I see what you're getting at but it just doesn't make sense... I'll try to explain.
You say that somehow a cover version of a song is a lesser from of art than the original. OK. But then, why stop there? I mean, the original probably  had a chorus. So together with all other songs that have a chorus it's a lesser form of art than the original (the first song that had a chorus). Or it might have a piano in it. So it's lesser than the first song that had a piano in it. It's music, so it's lesser than the first piece of music?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Tj, sorry, but it seems like you're trolling in here :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
THis has been five pages of "No I don't," "Yes you do," "No I don't," "Yes you do," etc. :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
True. :lol But tj's "argument" is so out there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Agreed. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
A lot of times a cover becomes the definitive version of a song-"Love Hurts" by Nazareth is a cover, and is generally the first version most people think of, despite being covered by Roy Orbison and several other acts. It's actually the only version of the song that was a successful chart single in most world markets (Orbison's version being a hit in Australia). I imagine that a lot of people aren't even aware its a cover. But inform people that its a cover, and it doesn't magically make the Everly Brothers original version, which wasn't even a B-side, the definitive version of the song. That's still Nazareth's version.

The original song is the FIRST version of a song, it's by no means either the definitive version or the best.

And yeah, I knew Prince did those songs first too  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline senecadawg2

You mean to say that GnR didn't write Knockin' on Heaven's door?!?!?!?!?  :omg:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Thats one cover that I can safely say is nowhere near as good as Bob Dylan.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Thats one cover that I can safely say is nowhere near as good as Bob Dylan.

Dude, really? Bob Dylan has a long record of other artists doing better versions of his songs. And this is definitely one of them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.