Author Topic: The Official Climate Change Thread  (Read 54679 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: The Official Global Warming Thread
« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
As noted, supporting them benefits us. Someone who's fiscally conservative should appreciate the economic principle of "everyone benefits from growth," and so growth there translates into growth here.

An isolationist like Praxis likely would rather have less growth and prosperity in their own country, if more growth and prosperity meant sharing anything, or being involved, with other countries.

The irony is that the US would never have become such a great country if it had been so stricly isolationist.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline PraXis

« Reply #281 on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Isolationist, my ass. I believe in non-intervention. HUGE difference.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »

Even if you're right, the end result will be the same (i.e. what eric said).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »

I didnt know that humanitarian aid (when not forced against a countrys will) was included in non-interventionism.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline PraXis

« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

I didnt know that humanitarian aid (when not forced against a countrys will) was included in non-interventionism.

Voluntary aid is included in non-interventionism. Meaning, you can choose to donate YOUR money to whatever humanitarian cause/charity that you want because it's your money. Non-inverventionism mainly means you don't meddle in the affairs of the other country. If they want to trade with you, then great, otherwise, you have no alliances or responsibility towards anyone but yourself.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
A good reason why selling to others is actually beneficial for both parties:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-praus/paving-the-way-for-us-cle_b_954444.html?ref=green-technology

Also posting this annual climate tracker because I love diagrams:

https://www.5min.com/Video/NASA-Finds-2011-Ninth-Warmest-Year-on-Record-517257716
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:34:38 PM by Super Dude »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #286 on: February 08, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Nicaragua, Central America's poorest country, is on track to have 94% of their energy produced by renewable sources by 2016.  They're at 30% as of now.

Remember a few pages back, when people were claiming the United States couldn't afford to go completely renewable?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #287 on: February 08, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
Nicaragua, Central America's poorest country, is on track to have 94% of their energy produced by renewable sources by 2016.  They're at 30% as of now.

Remember a few pages back, when people were claiming the United States couldn't afford to go completely renewable?

And ya know, actually doing it would be a huge infrastructure investment, and would create quite a few jobs.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
I think some of you are misunderstanding what Praxis is saying. He is not saying that the US should stop doing business with third world countries but he is saying that they should stop sending aid to them (free food, medical suplies, etc.). I think it's a little harsh but I can understand why he feels like that.

https://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/a-carbon-allowance-in-every-pot/#more-132179

What do the economists here say to reduced working hours?

Reduce working hours? Lol, like any company will go for that.

And regarding global warming and using renewable energy, I don't think it should matter how much it will cost to generate the infrastructure, it will create jobs as Scheavo already pointed out and is also planning for the future since we know the oil reserves are not endless.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
By the way, can we have the thread title changed to the Official Climate Change Thread? Or maybe the Official Environment Thread, since the topics we discuss are actually a lot broader than climate change?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
Can't you do it?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
Well no, I thought only mods could?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
I think you can edit your original post.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The Official Climate Change Thread
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
OK, you were right. :P

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
Did anybody hear about the Heartland Institute drama?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #296 on: February 16, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »
I don't see why it's a big deal (is it?  I haven't heard anything about it before hand).  You're right to note the scale of the Heartland Institute's budget relative to other environmental groups (although you did omit how much massively larger oil and coal are). 

However:
Finally, how outrageous is Heartland's view of climate change? Well, it's not at all. The institute argues on its website that, "Probably two-thirds of the warming in the 1990s was due to natural causes; the warming trend already has stopped and forecasts of future warming are unreliable; and the benefits of a moderate warming are likely to outweigh the costs."

I don't know what you're defining as "outrageous," but it is 100% bullshit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
And actually, hasn't there been a model circulating lately that shows that not only have the last 30 years' winters been the hottest in climatology history, but that this winter is the hottest of all of those?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
I don't see why it's a big deal (is it?  I haven't heard anything about it before hand).  You're right to note the scale of the Heartland Institute's budget relative to other environmental groups (although you did omit how much massively larger oil and coal are). 

However:
Finally, how outrageous is Heartland's view of climate change? Well, it's not at all. The institute argues on its website that, "Probably two-thirds of the warming in the 1990s was due to natural causes; the warming trend already has stopped and forecasts of future warming are unreliable; and the benefits of a moderate warming are likely to outweigh the costs."

I don't know what you're defining as "outrageous," but it is 100% bullshit.
Well, no. I can find plenty of papers to back up that claim. I don't think warming has stopped, as I mentioned in there. But Heartland is hardly some dastardly anti-science organization. That's all I'm saying.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
 Which is why it's hard to see how this is a controversy. Maybe if you're conspiratorial, you view his as one side against the other, but it really just shows you the ernest interest in this issue by those people.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/18/climate-change-economic-hardship_n_1353749.html?ref=climate-change

All I have to say is: no, really? :lol And it took them four years to figure that out?

Offline GuineaPig

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Only 50 ppm to go. It's been nice knowing you all.

I do hope this silver lining will be enough to make up for the news: https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45975253/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.T8eh_-1QSXu
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:49:01 PM by Super Dude »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Prediction: in 30 years, ecocide will be a globally recognized crime.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
I should hope so.

Anyway, have you noticed we're the only two people who post in this thread?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
I personally have grown tired of discussing the topic. The only real opposition you meet in those threads is by ideologically handicapped people.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
True that. It's too bad there can't be a more pragmatic dialogue, like coming up with positive solutions to the problem.

« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:23 PM »
Something everyone can do to help the environment is lower their total consumption of animal foods. Factory farming produces 18% of the worlds greenhouse gases, including large amounts of methane which is 23 times worse than CO2, and large amounts of nitrous oxide which is 300x worse than CO2. This paper from the FAO pegs livestock as a bigger contributor to global warming than transportation and calls for meat consumption to be cut in half. Of course, this may fall on deaf ears on a bacon-centric board. I've been a vegetarian for 3 years and it's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself, the Earth, and last but not least, the poor animals.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
I fall in the camp of believing in climate change, admitting it's mostly man-made but having no desire to change it (not that I have any desire to add to it either).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:19 PM »
Something everyone can do to help the environment is lower their total consumption of animal foods. Factory farming produces 18% of the worlds greenhouse gases, including large amounts of methane which is 23 times worse than CO2, and large amounts of nitrous oxide which is 300x worse than CO2. This paper from the FAO pegs livestock as a bigger contributor to global warming than transportation and calls for meat consumption to be cut in half. Of course, this may fall on deaf ears on a bacon-centric board. I've been a vegetarian for 3 years and it's not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. It's one of the best things you can do for yourself, the Earth, and last but not least, the poor animals.

Wow, I never knew we agreed in this area. Cool beans.

I mean there are tons of other things we could be doing, but yes, factory farming and, in lamest terms, cow farts are big contributors.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »

I've been cutting down my meat-intake by a lot over the last couple of years.  Really diversified my cuisine - discovered my love for Moroccan food (which now dominates my diet), explored the south-east Asia and the Indian sub-continent, looking for delicious vegetarian meals to add to my repertoire.  Now I only have one or two meat dinners a week, plus a little bacon and deli meats for breakfast and lunch (old habits die hard).  It is a big contributor.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
Tofu: it helps me help the planet. And turns me into a woman.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
In other news, apparently this summer has been turning the climate politics tide against Republicans. I don't know what to make of this article, so I'll let you all decide for yourselves, all two of you:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-vognar/could-climate-change-fry-_b_1635117.html?utm_hp_ref=climate-change

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #313 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
In other, other news, Australia is now pricing carbon.

Sky: still in tact.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #314 on: July 02, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »
Good on ya, Australia! :tup

God, I might just move to Narnia. :lol