Author Topic: The Dad Thread  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
The Dad Thread
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
I'm becoming a dad within a few days/weeks, so I was wondering if there were any more dads around here. Just for a little chitchat :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Dad Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
Congrats dude! Remember, you can't sneak beer to your kid behind your wife's back until he/she is at least in early adolescence [/Clark Griswold]
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
I became a first time dad on April 26. It was truly surreal for the first week or two, how your life now revolves around such a small thing who is totally dependent on you. I am finding the first couple weeks/months I feel more like a perpetual babysitter, since babies don't really interact with you or recognize you as their parent. But now she has started to smile at us when we get her first thing in the morning, like she is glad to see us. Little things like that are incredible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
I just had my second child a few weeks ago. Being a dad is amazing. You'll love your child in a way that you never even knew existed. It only gets better as they get older and start to have personalities and interact with you. It really gives life a whole new meaning.

My advice is to get as much sleep as you can until the baby comes and spend as much time one on one with your wife as you can. The first few weeks are amazing and exhausting and surreal and will be over before you know it.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
i'm not a dad...

but maybe thats a good thing.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
Thanks for your advices! I eagerly can't wait, till the arrival of our child. Most people say that it will change your life, which I don't understand yet. I have to experience it, and I will see how it gets. I'm really looking forward to it, to have my child in my arms after waiting months for it.

Nice to see some dads here :)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
I also am not a dad, but I thought I would give some props to all those who are. My dad is my favorite person in the whole world, and nothing can change that. Again props to all the dads on DTF, and good luck to those about to become one.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »
Dad here, reporting for duty!  It's the best and will change your life forever in a way that can't be explained, you just have to experience it.  Nothing makes me smile more than hearing my 2 year old son start a sentence with "Hey Daddy!"  Like for example:  "Hey Daddy!"  "Yes son?"  "Luke Skywalker is a jedi??"  "Yes son he is!"   :heart

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
I've been a dad for two weeks. :)  Good luck with the birth!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
Veteran dad of a 17 year old daughter checking in.  All I can say is dont blink, you might miss something beautiful.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
My kids (boy/girl twins) turn 11 on Friday.

As Lonestar said, it goes fast. I don't know if it's a function of getting older, or being a parent, but time does move faster. You'll understand in a few years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
Dad of 17 yrs.   Congrats to you.   It is awesome

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
I can't wait to share the announcement of the birth of my child with you guys :)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:26:17 AM »
Though I am definitely not ready/equipped with a wife to have children now, I eventually wanna have 1 or 2 kids.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »
Though I am definitely not ready/equipped with a wife to have children now.

And judging by my experiences with Cho the dog and my horrendous lust issues, I doubt I'll be cut out to be a parental figure.   :rollin

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
Cho the dog?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
Dad 3 times over here  all boys  17/14/12

As others have mentioned time will fly. One day they cooing in your hands as you look into their eyes, the next they're going thru your wallet and grabbing the car keys as they head out the door

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Cho the dog?

He's my dog, who is a puppy.  I adore him, but we do not see eye-to-eye. 

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
So he's not a seeing eye dog then?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
Nope.  He doesn't have any sort of respect for me, either, nor knowledge of the effects of his actions. 

Like right now; I've been playing with him in the yard fir a half hour right now, and he has yet to crap, but the second I let him in, he'll probably crap, so I'm stuck outside.  Waiting.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:15:26 AM by MasterShakezula »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
Nope.  He doesn't have any sort of respect for me, either, nor knowledge of the effects of his actions. 

Like right now; I've been playing with him in the yard fir a half hour right now, and he has yet to crap, but the second I let him in, he'll probably crap, so I'm stuck outside.  Waiting.
Just squeeze him, worked on my kid.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
Didn't work.

I even peed on the grass to demonstrate that yard time is bathroom time, but all Cho wants to do is play fetch and show off his ability to suck himself off.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
My dad is a pretty amazing guy. He's accomplished a lot in his life (I mean, a lot), probably more than most people will ever accomplish.

He can also make me feel like the most worthless, insignificant waste of space on the planet.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
My son just turned 19, my daughter is 13.  They drive me insane but I love them.

Being a dad is amazing. You'll love your child in a way that you never even knew existed. It only gets better as they get older and start to have personalities and interact with you. It really gives life a whole new meaning.

My advice is to get as much sleep as you can until the baby comes and spend as much time one on one with your wife as you can. The first few weeks are amazing and exhausting and surreal and will be over before you know it.

This.

it will change your life, which I don't understand yet. I have to experience it

And this.

dont blink, you might miss something beautiful.

And definitely this.

Think of it this way: When you were five years old, a year was 20% of your entire life, and more like 1/3 of what you could remember.  Getting to six took forever.  By time you were ten, getting to eleven still seemed like a while, but not as long as when you were five.  Each passing year is a smaller and smaller fraction of your life.  By time you're 48 and turn 49 (which is what I just did), what difference is a year?  Pshaw!  That's like 2% of your life.

But it is still a huge fraction of your child's life.  By now, you might take birthdays and holidays somewhat for granted.  You've seen a lot of them.  Remember that those days are still amazing and magical in the eyes of your kids.  Days are long, summers are endless, and time spent with Dad is priceless and can never be replaced.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
Congrats, I don't have any children yet but the birth of my nephew last year really made me realise how badly I want them some day. Not for another few years at least (I'm 23) but I now know it's something I definitely aspire to. If the love I feel for my nephew is anything to go by, having a baby of my own will be like a tidal wave crashing over me. The love I feel for that little guy from the day I knew he existed and through meeting him for the first time and taking him into town and walking around with him on my hip or supervising him so he doesn't cause too much havok in stores, every second is incredible. And his baby-ness went by in the blink of an eye, now he's 16 months and like a proper little boy already!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »
My son just turned 19, my daughter is 13.  They drive me insane but I love them.

Being a dad is amazing. You'll love your child in a way that you never even knew existed. It only gets better as they get older and start to have personalities and interact with you. It really gives life a whole new meaning.

This.

it will change your life, which I don't understand yet. I have to experience it

And this.

dont blink, you might miss something beautiful.

And definitely this.

Think of it this way: When you were five years old, a year was 20% of your entire life, and more like 1/3 of what you could remember.  Getting to six took forever.  By time you were ten, getting to eleven still seemed like a while, but not as long as when you were five.  Each passing year is a smaller and smaller fraction of your life.  By time you're 48 and turn 49 (which is what I just did), what difference is a year?  Pshaw!  That's like 2% of your life.

But it is still a huge fraction of your child's life.  By now, you might take birthdays and holidays somewhat for granted.  You've seen a lot of them.  Remember that those days are still amazing and magical in the eyes of your kids.  Days are long, summers are endless, and time spent with Dad is priceless and can never be replaced.
Welll said, my man, well said.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »
I have an 8 year old boy.
5ft tall and 80 pounds.
My wife and I aren't large people really....not sure why he's so big.
He's sitting beside me playing Wii GoldenEYe online as I type this, and bitching about his teamates don't understand the concept of "flanking". Right. 8....when I was 8 I was putting my Gretzky rookie card in my bmx bike spokes to make an engine noise.

I remember asking him when he was 3 where "wool" came from.

His reply..................."Daddy, wool.....come from WOLVES"

.....of course it does.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
Sound logic there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 06:26:24 AM »
My dad is a pretty amazing guy. He's accomplished a lot in his life (I mean, a lot), probably more than most people will ever accomplish.

He can also make me feel like the most worthless, insignificant waste of space on the planet.

Probably because you are.  :rollin

Just kiddin. I don't know at all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 06:54:45 AM »
I always feel like shit when I lose my temper and rip into one of my kids.  My job is to inspire them, build them up, give them the confidence and skills to live life.  To do exactly the opposite of that is inexcusable.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »
Kids are awesome.  I have two daughters, ages 15 and 8.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:17:10 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harpejji

• The new number 2
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
Well, the birth of my first child is haunting me, in a good way!! My wife is 37 weeks pregnant, so it can happen anytime within days or weeks. I can't wait! I'm thrilled!