Author Topic: Americans Elect 2012  (Read 2093 times)

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Americans Elect 2012
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »
Yesterday I saw a clip on TV about Americans Elect 2012. A new idea/process to nominate someone to be on the ticket. It's not a third party and its not backed by a current party. Seems pretty interesting to me. What do you guys think?

"Americans Elect is the first-ever open nominating process. We're using the Internet to give every single voter—Democrat, Republican or independent—the power to nominate a presidential ticket in 2012. The people will choose the issues. The people will choose the candidates. And in a secure, online convention next June, the people will make history by putting their choice on the ballot in every state. "

https://www.americanselect.org/

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Americans Elect 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
This interests me. Very neat idea, i like the idea. I've answered 35 of the questions. I'm going to nominate Neil Degrasse Tyson

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
This interests me. Very neat idea, i like the idea. I've answered 35 of the questions. I'm going to nominate Neil Degrasse Tyson

ha that guy rocks. I'm interested to see what candidates they say people align with.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
I just answered all the questions. Needless to say, I strongly disagree with most of the people participating at that site.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
I just answered all the questions. Needless to say, I strongly disagree with most of the people participating at that site.

I'm sure its not for everyone, there were definitely some that I did pick the highest percentage either. I'm hoping its more of a centralist angle though.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »
how do i answer questions to see whp i mosy agree with?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
Well it appears that you can only answer the questions right now, and the candidates will be released later this fall. It's in the True Colors section.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
I think thisnshould be posted in the GD. Not enough people view this section and im sure there are members in the GD that might be interested in this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »
I played around with this a bit yesterday.  I have a couple of issues with it, honestly.  For one,  it's only going to create a new third party candidate, and won't do anything to address why TPC's can't possibly compete.  Rather than creating a new mechanism for choosing one,  we should be working to make third parties viable for a change.

The other thing is that the way the questions are (as of right now) phrased isn't going to accomplish much.  As I see it,  the questions all have a common sense answer that everybody will agree with.  If every question has an obvious answer that get's 75% of the votes, then what's the point?

I do think that, eventually,  it'll start to get polarized.  But then we'll be right back where we started.  They won't be called democrat or republican,  but you'll wind up with one of each vying for this nomination anyway. 

I'm all for anything that might help matters, so I'll certainly follow this to see what happens,  but I don't have much hope that it'll accomplish anything.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:16:43 AM »

I'm all for anything that might help matters, so I'll certainly follow this to see what happens,  but I don't have much hope that it'll accomplish anything.

This is my feelings as well. I have hopes that it might help to bring change to our current system, but fear that it really wont do very much. I'm excited to see where it leads though.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
So...Has anyone else been keeping up with this since August? I share some of Barto's concerns, but I'm definitely interested enough to ride it out and see what happens.

https://www.americanselect.org/