Author Topic: Soda  (Read 49970 times)

Offline dongringo

Re: Soda
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
I'll drink it only occasionally when it's hot and I'm dying of thirst, but other than that, it's just too sweet. Way too much sugar.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
I drink a lot of Pepsi. I like the taste.

*let the hatred commence*
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
The majority of what I consume (food and drink) is diet (preferably carb free) sodas and energy drinks. 

By drinking a lot, it means I don't eat a lot. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
Just a note to you all, my intake counselor for alcoholic rehab(a process which started with pancreatic failure due to alcohol) said that high fructose corn syrup is as bad for the liver and pancreas as alcohol.  Please keep that in mind when choosing a soda.  I drink Sierra Mist or some other natural sugar sodas, and never from a fountain.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
I hardly ever drink it anymore. It's horrible for you. But when I do, it's some form of Coke or Barq's, typically.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
Just a note to you all, my intake counselor for alcoholic rehab(a process which started with pancreatic failure due to alcohol) said that high fructose corn syrup is as bad for the liver and pancreas as alcohol.  Please keep that in mind when choosing a soda.  I drink Sierra Mist or some other natural sugar sodas, and never from a fountain.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing that info.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »

I'm not quite sure that's true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »
Thats what he said. Granted an alcoholic like me is putting away 10 to 15 drinks nightly, which is higher than most peoples soda intake.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:44 AM »
I very rarely drink soda. I don't really like the taste of them anymore (never liked Coke to begin with) and they're just too expensive for me. I used to drink a lot of ice tea, but I stopped doing that as well.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »
I was going to make a soda connoisseurs  thread sometime soon, but I had no idea if any other members on DTF shared the same interest as me. Back in late 2009, I had a craving for a soda called Pibb Xtra, which was not available in my state. So, I learned why, and in the process I learned much more. Mainly about sodas that are available in certain regions, where/how to find others among many other things.

So yeah, I love soda and drink it daily (lolfat) but I never just consume the typical Coke, Pepsi or Mountain Dew. I take something from my closet of 35+ twelve pacls (I have pics) and drink it.

hi

Offline Ħ

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:55 AM »
I very rarely drink soda. I don't really like the taste of them anymore (never liked Coke to begin with) and they're just too expensive for me. I used to drink a lot of ice tea, but I stopped doing that as well.
Is there a reason you stopped with the iced tea?  I always thought tea was good for you.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
Is there a reason you stopped with the iced tea?  I always thought tea was good for you.

In tea bags, probably.  In the bottled or canned version at the grocery store, it's just as bad or worse than soda.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
Is there a reason you stopped with the iced tea?  I always thought tea was good for you.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of Iced Tea, and stuff like Arizona Sweet Tea and Brisk or whatever, have as much sugar as a regular soft drink. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Disclaimer: I've had a few drinks, sorry if that makes no sense, or whatever
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »

Well, two years ago, before I stopped, I came to the conclusion that I had to lose some weight (I was at 74 kg at 1,70 m) and not drinking ice tea anymore (because of the insane amounts of sugar, as Fuzzboy correctly stated) was part of the adjustment.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 03:06:04 AM »
I drink a lot of Coca Cola. Both diet and regular, whatever happens to be around. I know I should quit but it's just so tasty.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
I love soda, especially Cola and Fanta.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 03:19:06 AM »
I pretty much hate all others.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »
I love any diet energy drink!  Shame they're so expensive.

Offline j

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »
Drinking soda isn't anywhere near the terrible nutritional disaster it's often made out to be.  It's definitely not a good, healthy choice of regular beverage, and it has no positive value from a nutritional standpoint, but it also has little to do with obesity or other health problems unless you're *seriously* putting it away.  The biggest issue is dental stuff, by far.

Just a note to you all, my intake counselor for alcoholic rehab(a process which started with pancreatic failure due to alcohol) said that high fructose corn syrup is as bad for the liver and pancreas as alcohol.

Well, they're not really comparable at all, but it's common knowledge that excessive sugar intake is hard on the liver (storage and metabolism) and pancreas (stress of insulin production).  But it's a myth that different forms of sugar have any significantly different effects on the body long-term.

-J

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »
I used to drink A LOT of soda... then my last year of High School... I cut WAY back... when I did drink it was mainly diet. My drink of choice? I would take green teabag and put it in a bottle of water (or 2 bags in a large bottle) and just let it sit all day as I drank on it.

Now I am back on soda. When I start working I am going to go back to my tea thing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »
I cannot stand Coke.  Awful, awful stuff.  Pepsi, RC, and Mountain Dew are my mainstays.  The Pepsi and RC usually get mixed with Jack Daniels.  Mountain Dew is, IMO, one of the greatest things ever made.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »
I have about 4-5 cokes a week, its a lot less than what it used to be and I'd really like to cut it out completely.

Kosmo

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:56 AM »
I love soda, especially Cola and Fanta.
This. I should cut down.

But I won't.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:42 AM »
When I worked fast food, I used to drink a lot of pop.  I don't drink as much anymore.  It's usually water, gatorade, energy drinks or (on occasion) beer.

Coke and Sprite are probably my favorites, although I like Mountain Dew also.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »

Hosmer Mountain is local soda company from Willimantic, CT.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
I love soda, it just bothers my stomach so I don't drink it.

And Gatorade isn't really much better for you.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
Don't drink it anymore because it's highly acidic.  Since soda is good for digestion because of the carbonation, I drink seltzer or sparkling water with meals (or herbal tea or nothing).

Offline ehra

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:37 AM »

Actual tea is good for you, yes. But comparing most store bought iced teas to fresh brewed tea is probably close to comparing orange drink to orange juice.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
That is correct.

I love iced tea. And by iced tea, I mean the iced tea flavored soft drinks. :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
I drink a can a day or so. I've actually started drinking more over the last few months. It used to be a can or two a week. I drink mostly Coke Zero or Diet Pepsi, whichever is one sale.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
I've honestly never understood the appeal of coke or pepsi or any of the brown soda products at all.  I'm not the biggest soda drinker in the first place; partially because there is never any at my house and also because I've never been absolutely wild about it.  I will have the occasional Fanta/Mountain Dew/any other fruit flavored soda, though. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Just a note to you all, my intake counselor for alcoholic rehab(a process which started with pancreatic failure due to alcohol) said that high fructose corn syrup is as bad for the liver and pancreas as alcohol.

Well, they're not really comparable at all, but it's common knowledge that excessive sugar intake is hard on the liver (storage and metabolism) and pancreas (stress of insulin production).  But it's a myth that different forms of sugar have any significantly different effects on the body long-term.

-J

Yeah, that was my understanding of it.  The negative effects of HFCS are probably quite overstated. 

One of the reasons I don't dig soft drinks is that I feel like I have a mouthful of syrup for the rest of the day.  If I drink one in the morning,  come dinner time I can still tell I had a soft drink that day.  This is nowhere near as big an issue with real sugar, so I usually go the organic route if I'm going to indulge.

I'm similarly interested in artificial sweeteners.  Plenty of people can make reasonable arguments for how you might as well be drinking arsenic,  but plenty of studies suggest otherwise.

I did read about something called Stevia the other day.  Apparently it's natures greatest artificial sweetener, and actually seems to have positive effects on blood pressure and serum glucose.  The Japanese swear by it, but for political reasons (sugar and corn lobbies) it's not available here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
Yeah, that was my understanding of it.  The negative effects of HFCS are probably quite overstated. 
The negative effects of fructose are well documented, so I think people then see high fructose corn syrup and think that it so much worse than regular sugar. HFCS marginally worse for you than regular corn syrup, but it contains about the same % of fructose as regular table sugar.

I did read about something called Stevia the other day.  Apparently it's natures greatest artificial sweetener, and actually seems to have positive effects on blood pressure and serum glucose.  The Japanese swear by it, but for political reasons (sugar and corn lobbies) it's not available here.
Truvia is a stevia based artificial sweetener available in the US.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Yeah,  I stupidly misspoke.  It's only now becoming available here, after 40 years of use in the rest of the world,  and quite slowly.  There's one brand of soft drink that uses it.  Turns out that more powerful than the sugar and corn lobbies are Coca Cola and PepsiCo, who're both looking to get in on the act. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
It's processed from stevia plant, so it's sold as "natural" sweetener, although you could argue that it's not natural if it's processed so much.  Anyway, there seem to be formulation (taste) issues with Reb-A (processed stevia); proof is no major soda brand has employed it.  Not counting Sprite Green, if that's even still around.