Author Topic: Soda  (Read 49990 times)

Offline Ħ

Soda
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »
Do you drink it?  Is it worth drinking?  The more I learn about it, the more it seems like it's the "smoking" of the modern generation.  For example, I heard a prediction that 30% of the people born after 2000 will develop type-II diabetes.

I drink it, but I find that now that I'm not drinking it as much, I actually feel kinda sick when I have soda now.  Maybe this is my body's proper reaction to soda?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Soda
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
I used to drink soda. I think my favorites were Dr. Pepper and Sprite. Never cared much for Coke, and I never liked Pepsi at all.

However when I was like 17, I just randomly decided to never drink soda again. And almost 10 years later, I still haven't. Easy as hell to give up for me, I haven't even had carbonated water.

But yea, Soda's pretty bad for you. But now a days, it seems most people are hooked on energy drinks or the like, never understood those either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
I used to drink soda. I think my favorites were Dr. Pepper and Sprite. Never cared much for Coke, and I never liked Pepsi at all.

However when I was like 17 21, I just randomly decided to never drink soda again. And almost 10 3 years later, I still haven't. Easy as hell to give up for me, I haven't even had carbonated water.

But yea, Soda's pretty bad for you. But now a days, it seems most people are hooked on energy drinks or the like, never understood those either.

This exactly for me.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
I drink Coke a lot, but I really need to stop.

Also really like Ginger Ale.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
I only drink soda when I have pizza or pasta, which can vary from 1-3 times a week based on how well I am doing with my eating habits. :lol  And even then, it is only white soda (usually 7up).  I haven't had any dark soda since January 2000.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »
Not anymore. I do drink Perrier water but that's more to kill some stomach problems I have, otherwise I wouldn't go outta my way to drink it, though it's good actually.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Did you guys find that you got healthier after quitting/cutting down?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
I used to drink a ton of Coca Cola, but I stopped a few years ago, and now aside from a handful of random splurges a year, I never touch the stuff.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
I only drink sugared soda when I go out to eat, unless they have Coke Zero. I know the artificial sweeteners aren't that much better for you, but it makes me feel better at least.  :lol

Dr Pepper is still the shit though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »

I had less tooth problems. I don't think I drank enough soda to affect me much else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
I've never liked soda. I suppose it's been convenient for me because it's healthier, but what bothers me is being stuck at a restaurant/party/event/whatever that only serves soda and nothing else.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »

Definitely. Teeth felt better overall, dropped a few pounds, not as lethargic, etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »

Absolutely.  Except for my white sodas with pizza and paste, 99% of everything else I drink is water, Powerade, OJ and (skim) milk.  The other 1% is the very rare occasions where I drink alcohol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
what bothers me is being stuck at a restaurant/party/event/whatever that only serves soda and nothing else.

I have no problem going to a party and bringing a few Powerades along with me.  I mean, if people can bring beer, I can bring that, right?  No one has ever had a problem with it, so it's all good.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
I'm addicted to sweet drinks as well as soda... I know it's bad.  But I'd rather have soda than water, unless I'm singing.  I'm cutting down on pop though... I used to drink like 3 cans a day, now I'm down to 1.  Still is tough though, I do feel sluggish quite a bit.

What I'd rather drink is gatorade.  Much better for you, tastes sweet, keeps you hydrated.  So much more expensive though. 

What really is hard though, is that I can't stand coffee, and I need caffeine to stay awake sometimes.  Coffee is so gross.  So I'll have a caffinated soda.  Tastes so much better.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »
what bothers me is being stuck at a restaurant/party/event/whatever that only serves soda and nothing else.

I have no problem going to a party and bringing a few Powerades along with me.  I mean, if people can bring beer, I can bring that, right?  No one has ever had a problem with it, so it's all good.

Yeah but I never know ahead of time, so I usually just opt for water when I'm there.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »
Hmm. This thread made me realize that I only drink three types of drinks: water (regular or carbonated), milk (whole), or alcohol. :lol

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Hmm. This thread made me realize that I only drink three types of drinks: water (regular or carbonated), milk (whole), or alcohol. :lol

No juice? ???

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »
Nope. Trying to avoid too many sugars which juice is guilty of. I know people will quote the natural sugar argument, but it's still sugar and I'm trying to cut back.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:07 PM »
As long as it's pure 100% juice, you're fine.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
I don't buy that, but I know 99% of people will disagree with me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »
I don't buy that, but I know 99% of people will disagree with me.

Sugars might be bad, but with alcohol you're getting a good amount of carbs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Those are the ones I am allowing since it's not purely sugar.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
I really wanna give it up for good. My record is 3 months back in 1999. I usually can drop 15-20 pounds in a month by combining the following:

-Drink only water, apple or white grape juice, skim milk, or unsweetened tea

-Eat only wheat bread sandwiches with poutlry deli meat(chicken, turkey) and if you wanna dress it do so with things like lettuce, tomato, mustard, etc. but stay away from mayo and cheese. Also 1 pound of vegetables like broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, brussels sprouts with nonfat butter spray every day to facilitate a much faster metabolism(corn and peas aren't all that great due to carbs.)

-100 ab crunches and 100 pushups daily(don't get discouraged if you have trouble with these, just start as low as 15-20 if necessary and gradually increase at a SAFE pace to avoid overexertion.)

My biggest problems with quitting the pop is that (a) juice is ridiculously more expensive than pop and (b) no amount of water seems to fully cleanse my pallet after a meal and I get grossed out if I can't wash the taste of my food out of my mouth after a meal.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
I've tried to quit.  I've succeeded for brief periods of time but I eventually get a headache and come crawling back.  I've found cheaper and calorie free alternatives I enjoy almost as much.  But I'm at the point if I don't get caffeine in me I get headaches; and soda is available, cold, and a decent dose.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:31:48 PM »
I'm addicted to diet sodas  :-X Yeah, I know it's bad.

I made a decision about 3 years ago to refrain from drinking regular soda always. That, plus working out more and watching what I eat, has contributed to me losing over 70 lbs.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »
^Did it all go to your hair?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
Yes, but..... but I don't wanna talk about it  :sadpanda:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
I really need to stop drinking soda. Like period.

I'm going to be at a sleep-away summer camp this week being a counselor, they don't serve soda. Perfect time to stop for me.

Wish me luck!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »
I like you're guys' attitudes!  I think I'll start a challenge myself. ;)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
Yes, but..... but I don't wanna talk about it  :sadpanda:

Actually it suits you very well. You kinda have this cool, edgy young Bill Murray thing going on.

Offline ehra

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:42 PM »
Growing up pretty much all anyone in the house would drink was soda. About five or so years ago I decided that was a pretty terrible habit to keep up so I just started getting water all the time and only have soda maybe once a month. Never had any trouble with needing caffeine or anything (and I never liked coffee).

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
I'll splurge once in awhile but I don't drink it regularly. When I do I just get the regular stuff since it's not any better for you. Really like citrus stuff like Mellow Yellow.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
I enjoy a good ginger ale from time to time, but that's about it.  Sadly,  Vernor's is nowhere near as good as it used to be, so they're less frequent now. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
I've never liked soda. I suppose it's been convenient for me because it's healthier, but what bothers me is being stuck at a restaurant/party/event/whatever that only serves soda and nothing else.

Exactly this.