Author Topic: Soda  (Read 50340 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Soda
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »
 :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:32 AM »
My girl hooked me up with some Cheerwine, which is an incredibly tasty Cherry flavored soda. Love it  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »
I love the cherry soda. :hat How could that possibly go wrong?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:15 AM »
I love canada dry's Vanilla soda  :heart

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:20 AM »
I love vanilla soda, but we don't get that one here, just their ginger ale.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cokes-surge-drink-sold-within-173057358.html

Didnt realize this happened.  Might have to look into getting in the future.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cokes-surge-drink-sold-within-173057358.html

Didnt realize this happened.  Might have to look into getting in the future.

:metal

I just set it to email me when it becomes available. Hell yeah

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:40 AM »
Gotta get on that email notification as well.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Even though its not techically soda, I just want to proclaim my love for Martinelli's sparklin cider

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2015, 05:46:31 AM »
So one of the perks I get at work is free snacks and drinks.  In the office they have fully stocked kitchens where you can just grab what you want from the choices of hundreds of drinks and snacks.  I dont work in the office, but in our data center and they built out an office for me to sit in so I dont think in the actual data center all day like I had been... well it turns out now that I have an office, I am allowed to have my snacks and drinks and I get a $120 monthy budget for such things ( :metal :metal) and so what did I buy.... cases of soda! Thats why I am overweight.  Also bought tons of snacks which isnt helping my weight either.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
Being in New Zealand just got better, after I found out they still have Vanilla Coke. It hasn't been in Canada for years, but a great surpise.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »
Now, I know that Yoohoo isn't soda at all, but god do I love it

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
Used to drink a bunch of soda (at least a glass a day in high school/first couple years of college), but I've made some changes in my diet and I never really drink it anymore unless I'm in dire circumstances.  It's for the best; the amount of sugar is crazy, the number of calories is ridiculous, high fructose corn syrup is gross, and I can get my caffeine fix from hot tea if I need it.  A good change.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
I just moved and there's a gas station so close, and I've formed a habit of getting a cup of root beer the last few days. :x

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
Root Beer is so good.

Calvin6s

« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
Soda is my cigarette like vice.  I've quit hundreds of times in my life.  Sometimes just doing it by willpower.  Sometimes because I get tired of my current favorite soda flavor.  Then somebody tempts me with their favorite, and I get hooked.  Or I am eating out and the water tastes like butt, and I don't really like coffee, tea or alcohol, so I get a soda.  And that is all it takes.  Suddenly I'm drinking it again.

Like I said, I have quit soda flavors.  Used to love Dr. Pepper.  Now I wouldn't drink it if I was dying in the desert.  Same with Coke and Pepsi.

And diet soda tastes awful, so what is the point?  Water is way better than diet soda.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
I gave up soda about 7 years ago when it was all I would drink. Water all the way now with the occasional tea or juice.

I don't drink coffee either so after ditching the caffeine in soda, my sensitivity is way up. If I have a rockstar or red bull, I'll be extremely uncomfortable the rest of the day, very similar to a panic attack. I can get away with a small cup of caffeinated tea in the morning, but sometimes that pushes it so I either skip the tea or drink decaf.

And diet soda tastes awful, so what is the point?  Water is way better than diet soda.

I always hated diet soda with the exception of Diet Dr. Pepper.  That tasted nearly identical to me so I would always grab that instead.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
All I drink soda wise is diet.

Diet Dr. Pepper is great. So is Coke Zero and Pepsi Max.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
Im a diet only person as well, once you get used to the taste than regular no longer tastes good, feels too thick and syruppy. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Im a diet only person as well, once you get used to the taste than regular no longer tastes good, feels too thick and syruppy. 

YES!

My mom drank Diet Pepsi by the gallon (yea I know... not healthy). When I was little I asked her if she drank it because she thought she was fat. (I was like 7). She told me she doesn't like the syrupy after taste regular soda left. I did not understand.

Then a couple years ago... I switched to drinking diet 95% of the time. Now when I have a real Coke, it just tastes... ick. Too thick. Too sweet. I now understand what she meant.

And  fuck those people that says Diet Soda gives you cancer. Sunlight gives you cancer but I don't see people wearing a cream that helps prevent that

Oh... never mind. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
And  fuck those people that says Diet Soda gives you cancer. Sunlight gives you cancer but I don't see people wearing a cream that helps prevent that
Well, don't forget that the cream also causes you to lose Vitamin D, which you need. I learned a long time ago that nobody knows fucking shit about shit and to do whatever I feel like as long as it's not excessive. I'd rather die of cancer than spend my entire life worrying about it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Well, don't forget that the cream also causes you to lose Vitamin D, which you need. I learned a long time ago that nobody knows fucking shit about shit and to do whatever I feel like as long as it's not excessive. I'd rather die of cancer than spend my entire life worrying about it.

And even people who get plenty of sunlight can be Vitamin D deficient for a variety of reasons. You can't win! (I rather just avoid the sun altogether and take a pill for it)

Tons of things in our modern society can and probably will give us cancer, so I think it's best just to try and be careful where possible, and in the case of artificial sweeteners, it's probably fine in moderation.

I personally don't really care much whether a drink is diet or not, I mostly care about the taste. American sodas can have a syrupy aftertaste due to the HFCS, and I don't have a problem with the taste of diet drinks, but it also limits the choices here. I only drink soda in moderation, so I don't care much either way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »
Yea. I can do sodas sweetened with real sugar but that's hard to find here in mainstream sodas.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
Yea. I can do sodas sweetened with real sugar but that's hard to find here in mainstream sodas.

Luckily HFCS isn't a thing here at all. We get real sugar all the way. :metal
I've only had it because of a little shop near us that sells imported foods and drinks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
No HFCS? Wow. Australia really is Upside Down.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure the US is the only country using the high fructose obesity syrup. If it's upside down to actually get the real deal instead, call me Mr Upside Down. :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
I'll call you something.

My dad is the old school Mexican Coke.  Made with sugar.  He loves that stuff.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »
I remember buying Mexican Coke all the time from the Ice Cream truck outside my Jr. High.

That's some good shit.

Funny... now the only place I find it is at Home Depot. :rollin

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »
Speaking of Mexican soda. Jarritos is amazing. I love the Tutti Frutti flavor

Calvin6s

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:22 AM »
Maybe I missed it in previous posts of this thread (joined late), but those of you that used to drink soda, what did you do to stop?

Now I know the easiest answer is "just stop", but this is kind of my only really consumption vice. 

It is kind of like an actual addiction for me.  I've actually quit quite a few times.   Sometimes for long enough that it would seem the craving is way in the past.  Then I drink one when it is the only option and two weeks later I wake up in a pile of aluminum cans.

Offline adace

« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2015, 03:46:31 AM »
I really try to avoid regular soda because it has HFCS and insane amounts of sugar. I also avoid diet drinks because they're basically a chemical soup.

However, I love Zevia. It has no sugar at all. It's sweetened with stevia and erythritol and tastes really good. Some flavors don't even have caffeine. Love the black cherry and grapefruit citrus flavors. I wouldn't recommend trying the grape flavor though. That tastes like cough syrup.

Calvin6s

« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
However, I love Zevia.

Thanks so much.  I hadn't even heard of Zevia and I try everything out of desperation.

BTW, I have tried Hansen's Natural Soda and their Cherry Vanilla tastes even better than regular soda.  They have a diet version, but I haven't found it in stores yet and Amazon is charging way too much for it (like $30 for 24 cans).  It says it has Splenda though.  I haven't really researched the bad effects of artificial sweeteners because I don't like Diet Soda anyway.  But a health nut turned me on to Hansen's Natural Soda and it tastes really good so I'm thinking of checking that out along with your Zevia option.

Weening myself of soda is probably the #1 thing I can work on in 2015.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2015, 04:14:36 AM »
Back when I was a teenager, I would drink a full 2 liter bottle of Coke almost everyday. Mainly because no one ever taught me not to. Soda basically just took the place of water in my life. When I was 18, I was finally like enough is enough and really did just go cold turkey, but not total abstinence. I would have a can of soda from time to time, until after enough time I just stopped pretty much all together.

But man, when I stopped drinking soda, I lost so much weight it was rediculous. But it makes sense since I now look at soda as basically a liquid candy bar.

Calvin6s

« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2015, 04:26:11 AM »
But man, when I stopped drinking soda, I lost so much weight it was rediculous. But it makes sense since I now look at soda as basically a liquid candy bar.

I hear ya on that.  But I had a reverse thing happen.  When I was young, I was on the water polo and swim team Mon-Sat, and we often used Sunday to go to the beach and surf.  So I could have probably flipped the pyramid and walked around eating nothing but butter on a stick and not gain an ounce.  Post-HS, I burned out on swimming and replaced it with trips to the gym and could go on the stairmasters on the highest level at the top time (30 minutes), take a lap around the gym, 30 minutes on stairmaster, take a lap around the gym, 30 minutes on stationary bike.

Then I got an office job.  Going to the gym was burning me out so my workout intensity went way down.  And because I was sitting at a desk all day, my soda intake went way up without even noticing it.   For the first time in forever, I actually had to worry about my weight.  I'm sure 80% of that is soda related.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »

It still blows my mind exactly how much sugar is in soda. Basically 40 grams!!  with the daily recommending amount being 37grams per day. Just amazing

I am so glad I gave it up, besides special occasions. I used to drink sooo much of the stuff