• The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Soda
« Reply #385 on: February 07, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »

The new Major Melon Mountain Dew is Clutch

Tastes like watermelon Bubblegum  :D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #386 on: February 07, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »
Saw the commercial and thought it looked worth trying.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: February 11, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
Honestly the only soda I enjoy regularly is original Coca Cola in a 500ml plastic bottle. Hate it from a can. Love it in a glass bottle but nobody does them.

If i'm at work and fancy a cold one - I get a pint on draught - and with a slice of orange if available :)

For some reason pretty much all other fizzy drinks just taste like sugar and chemicals to me. Too sickly.

I don't mind 7up every once in a blue moon.

---

I always mention I like a slice of orange in my coca cola and people go :/ really ?

Then they try it and go Yeah ok!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #388 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »
Honestly the only soda I enjoy regularly is original Coca Cola in a 500ml plastic bottle. Hate it from a can. Love it in a glass bottle but nobody does them.

In Mexico (and probably other places), they still bottle Coke in glass bottles, and some places in Southern California (probably mostly prominently, Chipotle) import it and sell it for about twice what a comparably sized plastic bottle sells for.

I always mention I like a slice of orange in my coca cola and people go :/ really ?

Do they have the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines where you are?  It's a touch-screen soda vending machine.  You can select from a number of sodas on the main screen.  For example, if you suggest Coke, you can get just straight up Coke or you can get it with any of several flavored syrups added (e.g., lemon, orange, cherry, grape).  They're pretty cool because I can do an old-fashioned "suicide" (Coke, Sprite, orange soda and root beer).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »
We have soda in glass bottles available in many places here in AZ. I do believe most are bottled in Mexico, so that might be why its more abundant here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2021, 03:27:14 AM »
Do they have the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines where you are?

Nah. I'm not sure i would want to add more syrup to a Coke ! I'm shocked i've never seen someone order a Coke in a restaurant and put sugar in it.

Someone must do that somewhere. People put sugar in Hot Chocolate - which is already incredibly sweet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2021, 06:15:49 AM »

In Mexico (and probably other places), they still bottle Coke in glass bottles, and some places in Southern California (probably mostly prominently, Chipotle) import it and sell it for about twice what a comparably sized plastic bottle sells for.

Do they have the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines where you are?  It's a touch-screen soda vending machine.  You can select from a number of sodas on the main screen.  For example, if you suggest Coke, you can get just straight up Coke or you can get it with any of several flavored syrups added (e.g., lemon, orange, cherry, grape).  They're pretty cool because I can do an old-fashioned "suicide" (Coke, Sprite, orange soda and root beer).

Depending on the place, we have both the glass bottles and the Freestyle machines.   Our local Five Guys have the machines. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
Do they have the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines where you are?

Nah. I'm not sure i would want to add more syrup to a Coke ! I'm shocked i've never seen someone order a Coke in a restaurant and put sugar in it.

That's not what's happening.  Fountain machines mix a set quantity of syrup with carbonated water.  With the Freestyle machine, you're not getting a normal Coke plus flavored syrup (although you can get that at a lot of places, and doing that has been common for many decades).  You're still getting the same amount of syrup, you're just getting 95% Coke and 5% whatever flavor (I'm making up the percentages for the sake of illustration).  Obviously, Cherry Coke is a thing that exists outside of the machine, but I believe the cherry Coke you get with the machine is not actually "Cherry Coke."  Rather, it's a creation using the method I described.

Depending on the place, we have both the glass bottles and the Freestyle machines.   Our local Five Guys have the machines. 

Yup.  Five Guys is where they're most common, but we first saw one at a local chain of Mexican restaurants called Super Mex.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Two things:

1. I tried the Mountain Dew watermelon.  Not great, but not bad.

2. It is REALLY annoying to order a Coke at a fast food place and be given a Diet Coke.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2021, 06:52:48 AM »

2. It is REALLY annoying to order a Coke at a fast food place and be given a Diet Coke.

WORD.   Same with tea/sweet tea.   My brain gets all geared up for one thing and is thrown a vicious, cruel curve ball.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2021, 06:54:41 AM »
Two things:
2. It is REALLY annoying to order a Diet Coke at a fast food place and be given a Coke.

FTFM
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2021, 10:11:18 AM »

WORD.   Same with tea/sweet tea.   My brain gets all geared up for one thing and is thrown a vicious, cruel curve ball.

The first sip is like, "what...that doesn't seem right.  Is that Diet Coke?  Yeah...it is.  Let me check the receipt.  It's correct on the receipt.  Why is it so damn hard to get something like this right?!"

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
Because restaurants are a high-risk industry where every single member of staff is likely overworked, tired, all the while being paid 7.25 USD or less. Which is not conducive to staff making fewer mistakes than the average worker.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline pg1067

« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Because restaurants are a high-risk industry where every single member of staff is likely overworked, tired, all the while being paid 7.25 USD or less. Which is not conducive to staff making fewer mistakes than the average worker.

What?  I know $7.25 is the national minimum wage, but it's either $13 or $14 here in California (depending on how many employees the employer has), and I have never seen any evidence of fast-food workers being overworked or any more tired than the average person.  Nor is fast food particularly "high-risk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2021, 07:08:25 AM »

What?  I know $7.25 is the national minimum wage, but it's either $13 or $14 here in California (depending on how many employees the employer has), and I have never seen any evidence of fast-food workers being overworked or any more tired than the average person.  Nor is fast food particularly "high-risk."

And I'm sorry, but while I make good money now it wasn't always that way.   I had too many jobs to count that were minimum wage - janitor in my local school system, security guard, construction laborer - and you either hit it hard or you don't.   To say that you "make more mistakes because the wages are low" or "the work is hard" or "both" is an excuse.  Sorry. It just is.  It's not like I loved cleaning up a five year old's vomit, or plunging out toilets, but it was my JOB, and I did it.  It's not because of my fantastic good looks or large endowment that when the holiday/summer position opened up, I got it.  Same with being a security guard; telling fat drunk college kids to pipe down during Whalers games is no one's fantasy job, but I did it.  And when the assignments for locker rooms and what not came up, I got them.

I get that everyone makes mistakes, I'm not suggesting perfection, but if one can't discern between Diet Coke and Coke for the five minutes it takes to take the order, draw it, and provide it to the customer (put a straw in it, or push the little tab on the plastic lid if your memory is shot) then perhaps you're not cut out for more demanding, more higher paying jobs.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: March 06, 2021, 07:30:32 AM »
Okay.

In an attempt to get back on track after I evidentially derailed it, as it is approaching Easter in Sweden, it means that Påskmust is back on the shelves:

This is basically a malty cola, and it is my favourite soda.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline pg1067

« Reply #401 on: April 23, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »
So...here's a random question...

There are parts of the U.S. where sweetened, carbonated beverages are referred to as "soda" and parts where they are referred to as "pop."  I remember the first time (in 1990) I heard someone refer to soda as "pop."  It was this rather stereotypically blond girl who was hired as a receptionist at my office.  She was, if I remember, from Colorado.  I thought it was REALLY odd, because I thought of "pop" as a bit of an archaic term from the 1950s (ish).

Anyway...more recently, I have learned that there are parts of the country where any sweetened, carbonated beverage is referred to as "a Coke" (perhaps without the upper-case "c").  So my question is, if you're in such a place and you want a Coke (aka Coca-Cola), how do you order it?  I assume that, if you say, "I'd like a Coke, please," you'll get asked in response, "what kind?" or something like that.  Do you have to say, "I'd like a Coke - specifically, I'd like a Coca-Cola brand cola drink"?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2021, 10:38:43 AM »
Here in Connecticut, if you ask for a "Coke", you're getting one of two answers:  "Okay", and you get the traditional "secret formula" recipe dark carbonated beverage, OR, you get "Is Pepsi okay?".   I don't think I've ever heard "Coke" as a general substitute for "soda" (which is the predominant term here).  I have heard "pop", but usually not in this region.

Next up: a discussion on "grinder", "hoagie", "sub", or "hero"?  :) :)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #403 on: April 23, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
Here in Connecticut, if you ask for a "Coke", you're getting one of two answers:  "Okay", and you get the traditional "secret formula" recipe dark carbonated beverage, OR, you get "Is Pepsi okay?".   I don't think I've ever heard "Coke" as a general substitute for "soda" (which is the predominant term here).  I have heard "pop", but usually not in this region.

Next up: a discussion on "grinder", "hoagie", "sub", or "hero"?  :) :)

When growing up in Texas Coke was a generalized term for soda or (god forbid) pop. Similar to I need a Xerox of this paper....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »

According to this article from a few years ago ( https://www.businessinsider.com/soda-pop-coke-map-2018-10 ):

• "Soda is the preferred term in the Northeast, most of Florida, California, and pockets in the Midwest around Milwaukee and St. Louis."
  • "Pop is what people say in most of the Midwest and West."
  • "And coke, even if it's not Coca-Cola brand, is what people call it in the South."

Hence my question.

Your restaurant experience is similar to mine.

When growing up in Texas Coke was a generalized term for soda or (god forbid) pop. Similar to I need a Xerox of this paper....

That's the premise of the question I asked.  What happens when you say, "I'd like a Coke, please"?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »
That's new to me, and I lived in Atlanta.  But I also think I originally misunderstood the question.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »
That's new to me, and I lived in Atlanta.  But I also think I originally misunderstood the question.

Awfully ironic that "coke" would be generic for sweetened, carbonated beverages in, of all places, Atlanta.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »
In Wisconsin it’s soda, in Minnesota it’s pop.

Advantage Wisconsin.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2021, 06:16:52 PM »
I grew up (here in the PNW) thinking of sugared carbonated beverages in the general sense as "pop."

That's the premise of the question I asked.  What happens when you say, "I'd like a Coke, please"?

You mean at a restaurant or other establishment? Here, the staff would assume you meant a Coca-Cola, and would thus give you that, or if they did not carry Coke products, they would inform you as such and ask if Pepsi (or other cola product) would suffice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #409 on: April 24, 2021, 08:05:49 PM »
I grew up (here in the PNW) thinking of sugared carbonated beverages in the general sense as "pop."

You mean at a restaurant or other establishment? Here, the staff would assume you meant a Coca-Cola, and would thus give you that, or if they did not carry Coke products, they would inform you as such and ask if Pepsi (or other cola product) would suffice.

But you're in a "pop" area, not a "coke" area.  I'm curious what happens in an area that uses "coke" generically.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #410 on: April 26, 2021, 12:34:52 PM »
The word choice isn't on hard borders, either.  I grew up in Hickory NC, in the western part of the state (between Boone and Charlotte), and we had no generic term for soda - not even soda.  We said what we wanted (Mountain Dew, Coke, Pepsi, whatever).  I don't remember ever using the term soda, although I was familiar with it from TV and movies.

When I moved to Mount Airy NC (still in the western part of the state, on the Virginia border), they definitely used the term "pop", which made me laugh for months.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »

• "Pop is what people say in most of the Midwest and West."

Chicago area born, bred and lived my entire life. I never use the term soda. It's been pop my entire life.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #412 on: June 28, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »
Just had a pepsi blue yesterday for the first time since 1999  :lol   Its back out for this summer

Offline pg1067

« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Just had a pepsi blue yesterday for the first time since 1999  :lol   Its back out for this summer

That's good stuff.  I'm not sure what flavor it is, but I've grabbed a bottle every time I've seen one over the last couple months.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2021, 01:26:45 PM »
Tried Sprite from mexico in the glass bottle today. Supposedly its made with "real" sugar. Whatever that means, lol.  Tasted great though. Real smooth

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »

That's good stuff.  I'm not sure what flavor it is, but I've grabbed a bottle every time I've seen one over the last couple months.

I have a sort of maxim with food/drink:  there's very little in nature that is edible that is THAT color.  I'm a big Pepsi fan, but that looks like a bag of chemicals to me.   :) :) :)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »
I don't drink soda, so not crapping on this thread but even if I did, I wouldn't drink anything blue or piss colored (like Mt. Dew).  Maybe once a year I will have a Dr. Pepper.  Or if I have a belly ache and need to burp.  Otherwise, I'm an iced tea fan.

Stads - even a bottle of water is technically "a bag of chemicals."   ;)
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
I don't drink soda, so not crapping on this thread but even if I did, I wouldn't drink anything blue or piss colored (like Mt. Dew).  Maybe once a year I will have a Dr. Pepper.  Or if I have a belly ache and need to burp.  Otherwise, I'm an iced tea fan.

Stads - even a bottle of water is technically "a bag of chemicals."   ;)

Haha, you have no idea how disappointed I was when I heard that Dasini had a ton of additives in it.  How do you f- up water?!?

I'm with you, I don't drink much soda either anymore, but like you, I do enjoy a Dr. Pepper now and again.  And on those rare days I wake up with a headache (Tito's Flu) an ice cold Coca-Cola Classic hits the spot like nothing else.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2021, 02:24:02 PM »
I was actually talking about the H2O inside the bottle.

I was just being a smart ass.  But everything that is matter is chemicals.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »
I was actually talking about the H2O inside the bottle.

I was just being a smart ass.  But everything that is matter is chemicals.

Dihydrogen monoxide trolling is one of  my favorites.