Author Topic: Soda  (Read 50228 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Soda
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
I think Monster is behind these new Reign "Body Fuel" which is causing a lot of behind the scenes drama with competitor Bang Energy.

Anybody else seen or tried these? They taste really good, and besides the 300mg of caffeine, aren't too bad for you. The Amino Acids make it a great post-workout option. Actually, when I drink them in the morning, I feel really good and don't get that sluggish feeling like I do from energy drinks. And, doesn't matter to me, but to some it does, Reign is a vegan drink, unlike Bang which sources their amino acids from animal products.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
Been seeing those around lately. I'll have to try them this weekend.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2019, 07:45:42 PM »
Razzleberry and Lemon are my two favorite. To be honest, I haven't tried the other flavors because they don't appeal to me that much. I'm excited to read what you think about them whenever you get a chance to try them.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: May 17, 2019, 07:10:07 AM »
Razzleberry and Lemon are my two favorite. To be honest, I haven't tried the other flavors because they don't appeal to me that much. I'm excited to read what you think about them whenever you get a chance to try them.

I couldn't wait and I picked up two on my way to work this morning. Currently drinking the Carnival Candy flavor; Razzle Berry is in the fridge. WOW. Since they're 0 calorie I expected a mouthfeel similar to the Monster Rehab - that is, very tea-like. Nope, it feels like a soda, plenty of carbonation and only 2 carbs yet it literally tastes like sugary cotton candy. First time I ever did a double take looking at the can, because I couldn't believe there wasn't sugar in it. I love the can design as well. I think the Monster Rehab line remains king of energy drinks for me, but this is close.

So, yeah, right off the bat this is a home run, thanks a bunch for the recommendation. This is a good sign for the other flavors, I hope they're as tasty. Only downside is the cost - it was $6.30 for two. Yikes!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #354 on: May 17, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
So I tried Orange coke

Props to them for trying a a new flavor, but I didn't like it. Where as vanilla coke or cherry coke meshes flavors well together, I just wasn't into the orange coke.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #355 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »
So I tried Orange coke

Props to them for trying a a new flavor, but I didn't like it. Where as vanilla coke or cherry coke meshes flavors well together, I just wasn't into the orange coke.

I tried it a few weeks ago.....first sip was okay, second was so-so, just got worse the more I had.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #356 on: May 17, 2019, 05:08:45 PM »
I tried the vanilla orange coke; I love a good creamsicle, but it was too much sweet.   Just too much.  I didn't try the orange coke, but I can't see liking it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
If only it was like Stewarts orange cream, then I would be all over it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: May 17, 2019, 05:36:53 PM »
The orange coke is pretty good imo.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »

Of fuck stewarts orange n' cream is amazing

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »

So! I tried the lemon Reign yesterday. Maybe I need to have it colder (it wasn't ice cold but it certainly wasn't warm), but it didn't taste nearly as good as the lemonade Monster Rehab to me, the carbonation felt really weird with lemon. The Carnival Candy is still my favorite, then the Razzle Berry - obviously I have to try the rest now.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »

Of fuck stewarts orange n' cream is amazing

shout out to my home town.....

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »
So! I tried the lemon Reign yesterday. Maybe I need to have it colder (it wasn't ice cold but it certainly wasn't warm), but it didn't taste nearly as good as the lemonade Monster Rehab to me, the carbonation felt really weird with lemon. The Carnival Candy is still my favorite, then the Razzle Berry - obviously I have to try the rest now.
Ya know, after you went out and bought Carnival Candy, I decided to try it at work the next day and I gotta say, my rankings may have changed. Razzle Berry is still my favorite, but then Carnival Candy. Lemon keeps dropping for me, I think I'm gonna try Melon Mania tomorrow. The one I have no interest in is Peach. Sour Apple was okay, kind of had a weird aftertaste to me.

Glad you're liking them!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 24, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Ya know, after you went out and bought Carnival Candy, I decided to try it at work the next day and I gotta say, my rankings may have changed. Razzle Berry is still my favorite, but then Carnival Candy. Lemon keeps dropping for me, I think I'm gonna try Melon Mania tomorrow. The one I have no interest in is Peach. Sour Apple was okay, kind of had a weird aftertaste to me.

Glad you're liking them!

Hah, that's cool! I figured I might as well try the rest, so I picked up Peach Fizz and Melon Mania today. I was going to get Sour Apple but the name alone made me wary and thankfully I found the melon one to replace it, so SA will be the last one I try. I'm trying the peach now. Like the lemonade flavor, not as enjoyable as the Monster Rehab Peach, the carbonation gets in the way.

Offline H2

« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:25 PM »
Weird to see my old casual topic about soda is still alive.

I can't remember the last time I had sugared soda. But I do have Diet Coke every now and then for easy caffeine. Tastes fine.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
It's strange. I can easily kick sugary drinks, but... boy do I love them.  :lol

SystematicThought: tried the Melon Mania today. Pretty good, I like it. And since this is DTF, I have to rank them: Carnival Candy > Melon > Berry > Lemon > Peach. I imagine Sour Apple will be at the bottom. This is however the only line of energy drinks outside of the normal monsters and Rehabs that I've thoroughly explored, so it has that going for it!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »
I've been going through somewhat of a sugar withdrawal recently because I was chugging sugary shit for a while to the point that I needed it to function.

Man it's rough
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
SystematicThought: tried the Melon Mania today. Pretty good, I like it. And since this is DTF, I have to rank them: Carnival Candy > Melon > Berry > Lemon > Peach. I imagine Sour Apple will be at the bottom. This is however the only line of energy drinks outside of the normal monsters and Rehabs that I've thoroughly explored, so it has that going for it!
Melon Mania reminded me of a watermelon Jolly Rancher, not bad at all. Swap Melon with Berry and your ranking is exactly mine. Carnival Candy has really grown on me, the more I drank it, the more the overly sweet first sip disappeared and it actually became a really pleasant drink. It wasn't bad as it got warmer either. Sour Apple to me didn't taste like an apple the more I drank it, actually there was an odd cinnamon aftertaste to it.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
So I tried Orange coke

Seems like just a worse version of Spezi.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »
So I tried Orange coke

Seems like just a worse version of Spezi.

I tried the coke zero version and if it's really cold it's not half bad, definitely not going to be buying more though

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
This might belong in the 'addictions' thread but I really gotta stop with the energy drinks. I'm on my second Reign today and I tried a new brand of drink at the start of the day. That's a total of 800mg caffeine today. I don't think I'll finish the second Reign. I usually don't have problems with that much caffeine but it is a concerning amount and eventually it's gonna come back to bite me in the rear end. But it helps me get work done...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
I tried cherry sprite today. It was ok

The lemon lime flavor kind of clashes with the cherry flavor so that you get some bland mix of both instead of either flavor. Similar to the Orange coke, I feel like this falls into the category of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #372 on: July 27, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
I get cherry sprite in the Coke Freestyle, that's good imo.  Less of a flavor clash.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: July 28, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »

I'm hooked on this, it's an Elderberry cider. So refreshing now during summer!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #374 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »
I get cherry sprite in the Coke Freestyle, that's good imo.  Less of a flavor clash.

Grape Sprite is surprisingly good.

I still enjoy a good suicide -- based on what we did when I was a kid:  Coke, Sprite, orange soda and either root beer or Dr. Pepper.

I'm also a huge fan of virtually any lemon soda (i.e., carbonated lemonade).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #375 on: August 06, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »
This might belong in the 'addictions' thread but I really gotta stop with the energy drinks. I'm on my second Reign today and I tried a new brand of drink at the start of the day. That's a total of 800mg caffeine today. I don't think I'll finish the second Reign. I usually don't have problems with that much caffeine but it is a concerning amount and eventually it's gonna come back to bite me in the rear end. But it helps me get work done...
The caffeine feeling I get from Reign drinks feels different from other forms of caffeine. I actually don't get that crash that I get from a macchiato from Starbucks or coffee/other sodas. I feel really good. Maybe it's all in my head like when I take CBD and fall asleep in 10 minutes.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »
Brand new flavor of Dr. Pepper, aka Dr. Pepper w cream soda

Pretty decent

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #377 on: May 03, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
I got some in at my store the other day and I enjoyed the first bottle but then one of the cashiers said to me that it reminded her of cotton candy and then it completely ruined it for me
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
Oh yeah, its definitely got a cotton candy thing going on  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 04, 2020, 08:36:41 AM »
Brand new flavor of Dr. Pepper, aka Dr. Pepper w cream soda

Pretty decent

I had one a few weeks ago and it's pretty good. Not something I'd drink constantly but it's better than most flavors of soda.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
I have a couple of those in my fridge; I like them a lot.

So I mentioned in the fitness thread I ditched caffeine last week cold turkey. 7 days, no caffeine, other than a couple sodas here and there (usually with dinner, after hours of cardio, just to get something sweet in), so very minimal caffeine. I went from coffee, 2-3 Monsters almost daily, occasional 5 Hour Energy etc. to that in no time. So today I decided to see what effect caffeine would have if I had an energy drink from the back of my fridge (Venom, low calorie), 160mg/can. Sipped on it over an hour and a half, got about halfway through, damn - definitely forgot what caffeine feels like when you don't abuse it. The feeling is strong.

Not a fan of how it makes me feel now, honestly, since I got used to living without it. Oh well. Maybe I can finally switch to decaf coffee :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Decaf still has some caffeine in it if I remember correctly, something around a single coke can's worth. I need to ditch coffee as well but it's my one big vice.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
I cut soda out of my life (as a regular thing) a long time ago, but I don't think I could ever give up caffeine  :lol

Now, I just have two cups of black coffee a day and that takes care of business.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
Decaf still has some caffeine in it if I remember correctly, something around a single coke can's worth.

Correct.  Cola has roughly 2 mg of caffeine per ounce (so about 24 mg in a 12 oz. can).  Depending on a number of factors, decaffeinated coffee will have somewhere between 2-15 mg in an 8 oz. cup (as opposed to 80-100 mg in the same amount of regular coffee).

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life, but I drink more soda than I should.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: June 03, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
Dang. Well, it's still better than a soda, so I'll take it!