Author Topic: Election 2012  (Read 231807 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Election 2012
« Reply #2625 on: July 09, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
What about that strikes you as not me?

It's strikingly conservative.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2626 on: July 09, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
It's equally liberal to say that government policies are corrupt when they support big corporations. Liberals are against big corporations.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2627 on: July 09, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
It's equally liberal to say that government policies are corrupt when they support big corporations. Liberals are against big corporations.

Well, it was humorous because he said that bailouts can be corrupted. It seemed as though he favored loopholes, given a choice between the two.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2628 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
The fate of the economy based on who's receiving that bailout is a pretty fair loophole I'd say.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2629 on: July 09, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
What a horrible ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2UjLX3N2mo&feature=plcp

Wow. The classic "old guy tries to connect with young audience and massively fails". I guess insulting the intelligence of their target audience is part of Libertarian stealth campaign, Ron Paul was really good at that too. Too stealth for me, because I don't get it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2630 on: July 09, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »

Well, it was humorous because he said that bailouts can be corrupted. It seemed as though he favored loopholes, given a choice between the two.

Seems to me your trying to claim common sense as conservative. Liberals are open-minded, and don't hold to prejudices, meaning, as a liberal, I can't believe that government is pure, incorruptible, etc. It would really be asinine to think otherwise, and I don't know many liberals personally who think otherwise.

And no, loopholes are exactly what's wrong. Bailouts can be acceptable in certain (definitily not all) situations, especially if they are a one time deal.

As a non conservative today, it seems as if conservatives believe that government ins inherently corruptible, that it is corruption made manifest.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2631 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2632 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
If I was a political cartoonist, I would draw a deer with "Libertarianism" on it that's been fatally hit by Ron Paul in a car, and then Gary Johnson tries to salvage it but accidentally backs up over the deer.

rumborak

« Reply #2633 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
I've got to admit, I found this pretty funny:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:29:19 AM by MondayMorningLunatic »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2634 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2635 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
I've got to admit, I found this pretty funny:
*snip*

"Sir, we can't fly this thing carrying all this gold, we have to drop it!"

"NEVER!"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2636 on: July 10, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
What a horrible ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2UjLX3N2mo&feature=plcp

what the fuck am i watching

An advertisement from a nothing candidate who couldn't get elected dog catcher.  It's fairly typical hyperbolic nonsense.  For example, it cites MA as supposedly now having some kind of horrific health care system due to the health care law here, when the fact is, people come here to MA for medical care from all over the world.  Why?  Because (wait for it) our Health Care system is excellent, and Mitt Romney's plan isn't all that bad. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2637 on: July 10, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
I had so far written off the dog-on-roof story as some PETA level "Oh no, how terrible!!" stuff. But dang, he had the dog on the roof for 12 hours, during which it developed diarrhea, shitting all over the back window, only to put him back up after some cleaning-off? That's pretty cold.

rumborak

« Reply #2638 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2639 on: July 10, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
I had so far written off the dog-on-roof story as some PETA level "Oh no, how terrible!!" stuff. But dang, he had the dog on the roof for 12 hours, during which it developed diarrhea, shitting all over the back window, only to put him back up after some cleaning-off? That's pretty cold.

rumborak
I don't guess I see the problem here.  People transport animals in kennels in the backs of trucks all the time.  Hell, plenty of people down here don't even bother with the kennel.  Dogs seem to love air blowing by.  In this case he also tried to protect him from the front by building some kind of windshield to keep him from getting too blown around.  I have no idea whether the dog was miserable or loved every second of it, but there's no reason to assume the worst because he's already regarded as a sociopath. 

Unless it was a sweltering day, he failed to provide water or he ignored a significant medical problem that necessitated veterinary care, I don't see why this is such a problem. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2640 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, though the fact that it had diarrhea would seem to indicate some kind of problem. But either way, drudging up some story of him possibly mistreating a pet almost 3 decades ago seems like a rather irrelevant attack.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2641 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
Dogs get sick sometimes.  I suspect you deal with it the same way you would with a person.  Lots of fluids and keep an eye on it.  Still there in 24 hours, see a doctor. 

And of course worse things have been known to happen:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2642 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »

rumborak
I don't guess I see the problem here.  People transport animals in kennels in the backs of trucks all the time.  Hell, plenty of people down here don't even bother with the kennel.  Dogs seem to love air blowing by.  In this case he also tried to protect him from the front by building some kind of windshield to keep him from getting too blown around.  I have no idea whether the dog was miserable or loved every second of it, but there's no reason to assume the worst because he's already regarded as a sociopath. 

Don't get me wrong, I know how dogs love sticking their head out the car window. And I'm sure the dog loves an hour drive up there.  It's the fact that they had the dog up there for 12 hours, and that they put him back up there after shitting all over himself.
Keep also in mind that a dog crate isn't a passenger seat. When you're driving from Belmont, MA to Ontario, the dog will have felt every single pot hole on the way.

rumborak

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #2643 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree, though the fact that it had diarrhea would seem to indicate some kind of problem. But either way, drudging up some story of him possibly mistreating a pet almost 3 decades ago seems like a rather irrelevant attack.

Never got the whole ordeal either. Seems to me that it's not even necessary. It's a weird attack to begin with, but it's not as if there isn't plenty of valid character concerns to express about the guy (as MML alluded to).

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2644 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
Something about your empathy circuits has to be fundamentally damaged to take your dog on a road trip by strapping him/her to a crate on top of your car.

Even more disturbing is that we live in a society where a person who does this could potentially be the president.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2645 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
Something about your empathy circuits has to be fundamentally damaged to take your dog on a road trip by strapping him/her to a crate on top of your car.

Even more disturbing is that we live in a society where a person who does this could potentially be the president.
I think it's a terrible thing to do to an animal, but it's also really far down the list of reasons that Mitt shouldn't be president.